Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Coming soon to a screen near you -

“Dracula vs Lewenthal: Clash of the Immortals"

Rated X - contains gratuitous scenes of piano playing in long cloaks.
    American Humane states only a few hundred bats were hurt in the making of this film.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Much of the beef in our supermarkets is fairly tasteless and tough. But the good stuff is available at a price.

We used to buy organic rib eye steaks of Hereford Beef which were just amazingly delicious.
    Of course Scotch Beef has always enjoyed a high reputation.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Supraphon SUA ST 50556) 1964 .... recorded @ Supraphon Studios in Prague, 1963 .... (IMO) the definitive execution of this Janacek key euvre .... excellent sounding original Supraphon pressing ....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

No conversation is complete without

[​IMG]

5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Naw, you needs a this...
    [​IMG]
    :D

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Presence box. Some of the Rossini I can hum in my sleep; I'm less familiar with the Verdi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

From the my earliest classical cds pile...
    [​IMG]
    Haydn Cello concerts 1&2 etc Capella Istrolitana cond. Peter Breiner with Ludovit Kanta on cello.1989 Naxos 8.550059
    An early one in a four for twelve pounds offer I bought that adds Boccherini's B Flat Cello Concerto this is an enjoyable listen although it's not HIP and Peter Breiner uses his own Cadenzas so it's hardly purist.

8. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Christer Lindwall: En millimeter ljus (1996-97); Wenn sie so, dann ich so und pferd fliegt (2000)
    Ensemble Gageego!
    Ensemble SON

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  9. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Yes, that's in Lake Louise - a mountain just sideways from the famous lake view. I took that photo a couple years ago....
    Here's a few more I took that day in Banff National Park. Such a wondrous place.
    BTW Banff National Park is just over an hour drive away from Calgary, where I live.

Two Jack Lake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lake Minnewanka

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Wes H, Byrdsmaniac and 4 others like this.
  10. DeepFloyd11

:love::righton:

11. DeepFloyd11

While doing some serious house- cleaning. This interpretation is energizing. :pineapple:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    I picked up a pile of 5 Hilary Hahn CDs from Amazon (for a total of less than €25) after reading positive comments about her playing here in this thread. These were 2 pieces I was previously unfamiliar with, I was impressed by both, especially The Lark Ascending. Looking forward to hearing the other titles soon.

13. I should get some more Haydn symphonies. What are some great interpretations to start with?

14. That's beautiful! I'd love to visit the Canadian rockies one day.

Wes H, ShallowMemory and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

I am no expert when it comes to Haydn Symphonies and never owned the compete series, but have always enjoyed these records when I was younger and now that I found them again. I have maybe 10 - 12 CDs with Haydn Symphonies that are back in Mexico, mostly Boehm and Karajan. I am sure there are several thread members who can give you good advice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Decca "Double Decca 0289 473 8012 2) 1996 .... beautiful early 70`s recordings by Antal Dorati - this "Double Decca" edition (btw with excellent sound) is still available for rather little money via the "secondary market" ....

17. Thanks for the tips, of the ones you mentioned it looks like Karajan is the only cycle easily available right now. I'll add it to my wishlist.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  18. That looks like a good one, thanks for the tip.

19. DeepFloyd11

There are daily direct non stop KLM flights to Calgary!

Here's a few more photos to motivate you. :wave::righton: All the photos are from places not more than a 2 hour drive from

Calgary

[​IMG]

Moraine Lake

[​IMG]

Johnston Canyon. You can hike up the canyon to beautiful waterfalls.

[​IMG]

Lake Louise

[​IMG]

My favourite place....Peyto Lake. Took this photo 3 summers ago.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze, Wes H and 6 others like this.
  20. DeepFloyd11

21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

OMG - that motivates me a lot!

I would just love to do some kind of fly drive with the family to Canada. That's the kind of stunning scenery I want.
    I had completely forgotten just how big the country is until I looked at the map today. I guess you really do need to focus in on one particular region unless you want to drive 24/7 ...

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  22. Wow! Having visited the US twice in the last 4 years I strongly doubt I'll have the money for such a big trip soon, but it would be wonderful.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

There are several daily non-stop flights to London (both airports). A nice road-trip would be to fly to Calgary - rent a car- drive through Banff and parts of Jasper National Parks to British Columbia and then fly back from Vancouver.... That would be a 2-3 weeks vacation.
    If you want to rent/ return to the same city...then Calgary would be the perfect place to visit the National Parks of Banff and Jasper. The scenery is stunning wherever you turn your head.

Beginning of July we have the famous Calgary Stampede, 10 days crazy cattle show/ rodeo....I love the heavy horse shows and the dog training shows. Lots of yummy food at the midway....

Calgary Stampede | The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth: July 6-15, 2018

Canada is the 2nd largest country by square miles / kilometers. There are 5 time zones. For example it's closer for us to fly to Mexico City to see my family than to fly to the East Coast....

bluemooze, julesd68 and mdekoning like this.
  24. Looking at google maps I was thinking of combining it with the north west of the US (Oregon, Washington, Glacier Park) and British Columbia, but that may be too big a trip for 3 weeks.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  25. DeepFloyd11

What parts of the US did you visit?

As for vacation on a budget....there are really nice camping grounds, very well maintained. There are really good bus connections to all the places and we have amazing bike paths as well....Calgary is one of the cities with the best bike path infrastructure in the world. You can even bike all the way to Banff!