Kiss bans Iron Maiden t.shirt worn by interviewer.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I don't see it that way, but that's fine. I watched it yesterday and when they joke, it is always on someone else, not them. They are in the power position in that interview, and they push the interviewer around and waste time. They aren't funny (Ace is). They are pompous asses and it shows. I wonder how well they would have responded if the interviewer joked about Gene's codpiece. That would have ended things fast! They have no sense of humour. The Tom Snyder interview proved it years ago. I always love watching Rush in interviews. Given their musicianship, they deflate their image constantly. They poke fun at themselves and can take a joke (especially about the Japanese attire of the mid 70s). Kiss are always way too serious about their image. Sure, they could have made a quick crack about the Maiden shirt, but no, they drag it out ..... painfully ..... and humourlessly.

southamorican, Man at C&A and yarbles like this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Should've worn a Frehley's Comet shirt.

Dudley Morris and Todd68 like this.
  3. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Or a Vinnie Vincent shirt!

Dudley Morris and Synthfreek like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I thought it was done in fun. As I watched more of the video Gene and Paul got more serious I think? I hope they were just being funny and hopefully not being a bunch of rich narcist. My Lord it's just a maiden t-shirt. Geeeeeesh! :doh::shrug:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Todd W. and BurtThomasWard like this.
  5. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

They were joking. If they were serious they surely would have become enraged by the interviewers flippant responses. I’m sure they were bothered by the Iron Maiden shirt, but their response was an act.

6. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Possibly my favorite rock interview of all time!

Ace Frehley and Kiss: The Tom Snyder Interview – Halloween 1979 – Green and Black Music

theshape likes this.
  7. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Oh, I still love KISS just as much as I did when I was a kid. Only now, they go by the name of Ghost, and they have much better songs.

Joking or not, Gene and Paul are a couple of tossers who pull this **** all of the time. Aside from nostalgia, they haven’t provided anything of value in over 25 years (and I’m being generous here, because some people insist that “Music from the Elder” and some of that other 80s garbage they recorded is actually good).

8. he shoulda told them to take off their makeup

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hope so.

10. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

It looks like they were trying to be funny, but Gene and Paul lack a sense of humor so the joke fell flat. Massive fail. Sad.

theshape, g.z., Dave and 1 other person like this.
  11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I would never take off an Iron Maiden t-shirt under ANY circumstances. Ace wouldn't do something like that.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

The sad thing if this was a joke Gene and Paul lack of humor made them look bad once the video went viral.

13. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

They were clearly joking. People get so worked up over nothing.

Todd W., theshape, g.z. and 2 others like this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hear ya but it looked they were pissed at the young bloke. I'm sure it was a joke.

15. The Trinity

For sure they are. I want to be mad at Kiss here, because I can’t stand them, but the interviewer is clearly playing along. There is no way that this is real. And then they are so mad that they give him a $45 merch shirt? Nah. They’re just hamming it up.

Dave and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hope so I Like Kiss all the same.

17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I would like to believe they were joking but it's not clear to me that they are. The interviewer asks Gene what he doesn't understand and Gene replies, "Not much!".

That's downright insulting in addition to calling him 12 years old. I've seen enough Paul and Gene interviews in my time, this was no joke. They may be playing it up to appear more self-important than they are (This is our house) but they were dead serious about the t-shirt.

18. The Trinity

I’m sure you can rest easy that this was an act. I actually see the humour here; it’s the execution that failed because they were trying to incorporate an aspect of bad assery into their delivery, and the make up hides any visual cues that might otherwise give them away.

19. The Trinity

I wouldn’t be surprised if they told the interviewer in advance that they were going to go after him for the Iron Maiden shirt, and he was in on it.

Dave and talkradio like this.
  20. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

This is clearly staged and all of them including the interviewer (IMO) are joking. May not be the best joke ever played, but no reason to bash Kiss. At least not for this.

Edit: The Trinity beat me to it.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Combined ages of 500 yrs. Weird this is even a topic.

22. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

so sad...always knew they were full of themselves, but this takes it to another level.
    after reading their biographies, there's no doubt that Simmons is somewhat of a d**k, and that Stanley is in fact a very insecure guy who is hyper sensitive to criticism. This though is ridiculous and faar beyond juvenile....

23. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

really? is that's the case - they play the part well. This is EXACTLY like I imagine Simmons and Stanely would respond once they decided that this guy has to change his shirt...

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Bad acting. No Oscar here.:D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

It's about as 'staged' as Gene Simmons being banned from a popular news network in November for harassing and making lewd comments to their employees. Sorry, they're both asses! I'm a fan of their 70's music so I'm not coming at this from a hater's perspective.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.