Molly's Game - Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by It's Felix, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

Hi all,

Just watched this, this weekend, brilliant move. Honestly a real quality and fun flick. I wasn't so pulled in before hand, but my wife and I watched it in Henley in a 99% empty mid day slot, and it was excellent. Well acted, great story, plenty to keep you hanging in there.
    Anybody seen it?

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I almost did, but I’m saving it till next weekend so I can catch it along with The Post. Looking forward to Molly’s Game—writer/director Aaron Sorkin also wrote The Social Network.

It's Felix and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. It's Felix

I read mixed reviews and great reviews. I give it great reviews!

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it, despite the trademark heavy-handed Sorkin dialogue. The man sure loves his obvious exposition. ("Do you know what [legal concept] is?" "Why yes, I know what it is. It's [5 paragraph explanation entirely for the benefit of the audience].")

5. mds

mds Forum Resident

I thought it was a good movie. It wasn't a deep thought provoking flick but just fun and entertaining without having to have sex, guns and car chases.

Ghostworld and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Spoilers .....

Bored me to tears.
    Spoken word narrative all through it.
    Didn't think it was a good expose on gambling. Just a daughter /father fixation film.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. alexpop

No sex.
    No cars ...agree.

8. mds

mds Forum Resident

No gun play maybe is a better way of putting it. No heists and big shoot outs. You want a bit of violence then watch "Sneaky Pete" pretty good con artist series with a touch of gambling.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it Thursday and enjoyed it.

Well done by all.

It's Felix likes this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You mean it stars Jessica Chastain and there’s ... no sex?

:cry:

11. alexpop

She wears nice outfits.
    But, the film will appeal to the new pc brigade.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  12. Monosterio

I’d be happy if she just wrapped her legs around some guy’s head again. ;) (That’s for anyone who’s seen The Debt.)

Seeing the movie today, btw.

13. alexpop

Trailer looked very promising.
    That's the gamble you take.

14. It's Felix

What were you expecting? Having no ideas what your movie taste is like, but can't see how you could find this boring.

15. alexpop

Expected ?
    A entertaining story, and it failed to deliver. When I pay money and time I'm allowed to be critical.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  16. It's Felix

You seem to be happy spending time spamming the website though. Your choice I guess.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think Molly and Gerald should get together.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Writing a negative review of a film is not spamming. It's expressing a personal opinion based on one's own cinematic experience and history, and I think Alexpop has proven here many times he has mature and excellent taste in films. If he dislikes more than one of today's contemporary films -- I fully back him! :D

If you want to see a movie HATER sometimes, just follow me! :laughup: I take bad movies personally, as Clint Eastwood might threaten. They waste my money AND time. I'm always trying to discern and study what makes a great film, so when a filmmaker shows they obviously haven't spent as much time worrying about that as me, AND THEY GOT A FILM PRODUCED, I'm peeved!

Recent I had to endure The Shape of Water. Am I rough on the film. Sure. It wasted my time and was an unpleasant experience. Will I whine about that? You bet I will!

What post on this forum ISN'T a personal opinion?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  19. Monosterio

The movie weakens considerably in its final third, but overall I enjoyed it and the acting is excellent. It did leave me curious about Molly’s love life, though, as she’s not shown hooking up with anyone the whole time. Still a thumbs up from me, though.

Btw, the despicable character played by Michael Cera reportedly is based on Tobey Maguire.

20. It's Felix

Thanks - I was referring to his general spamming of this entire website, not the thread, or I would have written 'thread'. I love a bit of movie hating too. But I like an articulate reason why. How was The Shape of Water - the trailer looks dreadful, but then reviews were pretty good....

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I knew it. Even without doing any internet research, I just had a feeling that's who it was.

rmath84 and It's Felix like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:biglaugh:

mrjinks likes this.
  23. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Saw it, loved it ... never a dull moment in the film ... starting the film with "what's the worst moment in sports was masterful" ... this film hits the ground running.

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I enjoyed it as well. I'm a big Aaron Sorkin fan, and don't mind expository dialog - though no amount could possibly make poker interesting.

darkmass, mds and It's Felix like this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Saw it on Monday after an exhausting 2 Days(12 Hours) at first major Club Volleyball Tournament of the Season to do some Video of a few Players and Talk with Club Directors/Coaches on my Skills Video Analysis Programs, and needed Monday to recover, and enjoyed this movie, but fell asleep briefly near the end of the movie due to exhaustion and little sleep the prior 2 days.

I was not aware of the real life story, so found it interesting. Just makes me wonder how after her Complicated Back Surgery as a younger kid, why she risked further damage returning to the Sport of Skiing, but elite level athletes do have a different mindset. Would have been more interesting to know more of her family relationship during her years as the Poker Princess, but guess there was not much of one(at least with her Dad) during that time and hard to fit everything in a 2 hour or less movie. I caught Idris Elba slipping into his British Accent slightly in a few scenes, but you would need to pay attention to catch it(never caught it when he played Stringer Bell on 'The Wire' and he also had to do the Baltimore Dialect for that show, which was impressive).

Do not have a lot of time now to go to movies, but the trailer for 'Molly's Game' looked good. I want to see 'Hostiles' in a theater, as prefer movies that have good scenery to go see them in a theater, and being a Western, figure 'Hostiles' will look good on the big screen.

MikaelaArsenault and It's Felix like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.