Need advice Rega RP8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Very beautiful- congrats

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Correct decision :edthumbs:

Regarding speed, a little fast isn’t too much of an issue if it’s only minor difference (as I believe it is), I think speed stability is actually more important. You probably wouldn’t be able to tell if someone didn’t tell you.

rebellovw likes this.
  3. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Enjoy that great table

4. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What he said..

Wes_in_va likes this.
  5. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

"Roll out" your 12" platter to the distance it would travel in 33.33 rpm.
    Do the same if the platter speed is 0.022 rpm "fast" (or "slow".
    Convince me the differential in measurable terms are in anyway noticeable or significant.

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

To quote Michael Fremer from the February 2018 Stereophile regarding the speed accuracy of the Rega RP10.

"I used Dr. Feickert Analog's Platter Speed app, running on an old iPhone 4, to measure the RP10's accuracy and consistency. The results were superb: The PlatterSpeed test record's 3150Hz tone measured3154.4 Hz-too fast by only 4.4Hz whiles the 2-Sigma wow was +-0.12% and dynamic wow was +-0.10%. All three measurements are among the most consistent and best I've measured, including the direct drive Technics SL1200G."

Interesting review and it mentions some mechanical similarities between the RP10 and the RP8 concerning the platter drive systems.

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

So i raised the arm by 1mm with a spacer to do some VTA adjustements tests (i have spacers that don't require removing the arm) and i find the sound to be even better with my rubber mat. (as it is slightly thicker than the felt mat).
    I prefer the rubber mat as it does not leave fabric residue on the side of the record that lays on the mat and i noticed no SQ difference between both mats.

I think i now have the best alignment / VTA for most records (i tested with 140, 180 and 200g records) and i am very happy: the bass is punchy (does not leak), the mids are there, the highs are not metallic/sibilant, the singers are inside my living room and the instruments are placed correctly.

What impresses me with this table is really the silence of operations ! I can crank the volume and there is no noise at all even between tracks.

I was previously a non-believer, thinking that whatever the table the result was the same with similar carts and phono-pre. I was wrong !

punkmusick, Lymbo and KT88 like this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

That’s what happens when you move to a higher level of turntable, better build leads to reduction of the noise floor :righton:

KT88 likes this.
  9. Tartifless

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Got my new at33ptgii toy

dbsea, googlymoogly, Morbius and 3 others like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Beautiful. I want that turntable!

KT88 likes this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Nice, I bet that sounds great!

12. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I had to opportunity to demo the new P6 and the RP8 for review and video purposes. The RP8 is an amazing turntable. You made an excellent choice. Good choice on the cartridge as well.

Tartifless likes this.
  13. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Just when it was getting good :-popcorn:

14. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I posted the review because I thought the OP might find it interesting. For those who don't want to hear me blabbing on but would like to see the Rega RP8 in action with a Dynavector 17D3 cartridge in action, here are some videos:

avanti1960 and googlymoogly like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

dude i sincerely apologize for my critical remarks from this morning. i thought it was a professional reviewer that made the video, not a SHTV member. your passion for the table came through loudly and clearly and was inspiring.

i have written stereophile magazine about their reviewer's systems videos. one video showed views of the reviewer's system while playing a canned music sound track. the others basically just talked about their systems and not one of them had the system in action, something i just do not understand, it's frustrating. why not use the technology? i can hear the differences in the sound of systems played on web videos. i had just listened to a power conditioner demo on analog planet and the improvements in sound were very noticeable. i enjoy hearing about the sound but i really enjoy hearing the sound! once again i am sorry, and appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts about your turntable. peace.
    -Tony

Lymbo likes this.
  16. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

No worries. All is good and thank you.

17. Tartifless

Great video, the dynavector surely sounds amazing, unfortunately a bit beyond my pricerange !
    Maybe my future cart in 2-3 years.

Lymbo and KT88 like this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

thanks for posting this and your review. just curious, what phono pre are you using with the RP8/Dynavector? thanks!

Lymbo likes this.
  19. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

The iPhono2.

20. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

The RP8 and Dynavector 17D3 are both out of my price range, but did I ever enjoy having them for a month. Amazing turntable and cartridge. You have a fine turntable sir and I hope you get years of enjoyment from it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  21. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

There are also some videos of the new P6 available on my channel. Vinyl Room is about as non-corporate as you can get. I've actually had one of my subscribers send me equipment to review and post videos of. (Rega P6, Rega RP8 and the Dynavector Karat 17D3). There are also videos of some of my turntables and cartridges.

I don't make money from any manufacturer, distributor or advertiser. I'm not an audio expert and never have claimed to be one. Just a regular guy that has owned way too many turntables over the past few decades and loves vinyl, music and analog equipment. When I do reviews, I just give my honest opinion. I love my small, but growing, family of subscribers and have become quite close with many of them via email.

And I appreciate this forum for allowing me to post links to my channel. I've gleamed so much quality information from this forum over the years.

punkmusick and andybeau like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.