Are there any great films that you'd never watch again because of how depressing/intense they are?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I LOVE Chinatown, it probably has my favourite soundtrack ever. I agree the ending where Evelyn gets shot and Noah takes his daughter away while Jake looks on helplessly is very disturbing but also makes it more realistic. I feel the same way about the ending of Nicholson's other masterpiece One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

2. acemachine26

Human Centipede III is much more disturbing based on what I heard. It has a human caterpillar. I'll let you find out what that's all about.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that'll never happen...LOL. No, once was enough!

acemachine26 likes this.
  4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

As great a film as it is, I can't bring myself to watch the first "Trainspotting" again. The same goes for "Eraserhead".

arley and acemachine26 like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched this for the first time recently and was very disappointed. Seemed cheesy and melodramatic to me - the "tragic ending" had no impact because it was so trite and predictable...

6. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The Road
    Colonia

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

'It's just Chinatown.'

I see what you mean, but it doesn't get to me like some other films do.

8. Michael

Hmm, why The Road?

9. Michael

yes, I found the ending senseless...

10. Michael

HA! that's funny...

11. Michael

after seeing the movie in the theater I read all I could find on him...so very sad...the suffering must have been unreal...the movie was amazing.

Victor/Victrola and Rock-C-Art like this.
  12. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

Nicholson is awesome in it. Restrained but intense - not chewing the scenery.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

A bit off topic, but I'm so excited that I found a copy of "Peeping Tom" this evening. I've been searching for one for ages. Maybe not too off topic. It was very upsetting to many people at the time of it's release. Almost ruined Michael Powell's directing career.

Lightworker likes this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

One of the sick-o greats. I believe that it was released before Hitchcock's Psycho.
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

The same year actually. Looking it up it looks like Peeping was just about two months or so earlier?

Lightworker likes this.
  16. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Actually, I could watch it again but it was pretty bleak

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

sad, dark and interesting...and bleak for sure.

18. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

After having a day or two to think about it, I'll add "Capote" to this list. I do consider it an important film, and have no regret about seeing it... but I don't think I could go through that again.

19. I've seen both, although the version of A Serbian Film I saw was apparently the edited version, which removes/tones down a couple of the more extreme scenes. Also note that, despite its reputation, Salo is off-putting mainly because of how slow and talky is is, with the violence it's infamous for taking up maybe a minute during the last five minutes. It's very much an Art film.

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's not.
    If anything, it's the least shocking/disturbing film of the trilogy. Considering how f**ked up Part 2 was, I was hoping the final entry would up the stakes even further and give us something truly mind-blowing and horrific.... but sadly that wasn't the case. I was incredibly disappointed at how tame and totally NON-shocking it was.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There's a difference between 1) getting emotionally invested in a film, and 2) being so upset/disturbed/affected by a film that you never want to see it again.
    Especially when you consider how incredibly tame and/or non-disturbing most of the examples in this thread have been.

There are countless films*I* never want to see again, but that's only because they were terrible. Even if a film if incredibly depressing/intense, I'll still want to re-watch it again if it's a well-crafted, interesting, enjoyable piece of cinema.

ramdom, Jim B. and Lightworker like this.
  22. acemachine26

As I mentioned earlier in another post, the level of tolerance for depressing/disturbing/ shocking films varies a lot from person to person. You may not find films like Human Centipede III shocking in any way but others might. These films are tame and non-disturbing to you, but that doesn't mean that other viewers feel the same way.

Well of course you would re-watch a film if you found it enjoyable. That's the whole point isn't it? Its those great films that aren't enjoyable that I was asking about. For instance, I know that Requiem for a Dream is a well made film with solid performances from the entire cast but it isn't an enjoyable film to watch because the subject matter and story is so heart wrenching and depressing.

23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Brought to mind one of my absolute "never again" films: The Rose (1979).
    Full disclosure: I was forced to attend it for work (a radio station promo
    event). I did not want to be there and sit through the whole stinking thing!

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I must be a cold fish. I saw Requiem For a Dream when it was first released and I don't remember much about it at all other than I didn't like it much.

It's kind of funny seeing mention of films like A Serbian Film and The Human Centipede and hearing how unsettling they are. But that's what those films were designed for-to shock you and do little else. It's a little like popping Debbie Does Dallas or Deep Throat into the DVD player and being shocked at all the sex scenes.

Trace, KeninDC and Rocker like this.
  25. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I've visited dozens of general movie threads here and have never seen Wise Blood mentioned. What a very good (not great) under the radar film. Wife and I saw it on its release and have never seen it again. With all the dreck HBO/STARZ/Sowtime etc. rerun ad infinitum it's odd that little gem never shows up. To this day I spell "museum" as "mvsevm".

Your first two are difficult watches but I've seen and, totally re-enjoyed, Taxi Driver and the campy remake of Cape Fear (De Niro version) numerous times.

My list -
    Schindler's List
    Raging Bull
    Martyrs
    Virgin Spring
    Dances With Them Wolves
    Se7ven
    Elephant Man
    Life Is Beautiful
    Lies My Father Told Me (a small, very emotional, Canadian film released in the mid 70s that has stuck with me)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    PonceDeLeroy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.