Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Bring it! Just placed an order for a buncha funeral doom cds, can't get enough of that genre for some reason.

More atmospheric bm:

Love the cover!!!!

[​IMG]

Dreadnought and jiffypopinski like this.
  2. lenny nero

.....but my fave forest themed cover is

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. lenny nero

Azazel Bedazzle!!!!! Love that title.

Mike we all know you run around on the weekend dressed in black robes throwing tarot cards around like you're spreading confetti, don't try to convince us otherwise!

That artist looks like he don't believe in decaf.

fuzzface and Dreadnought like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

:biglaugh: :edthumbs:

And I'm laying down this card. The cover of some nefarious BM. A debut released December 4, 2017

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    lenny nero, jiffypopinski and 100423 like this.
  5. lenny nero

6. Dreadnought

Now I remember who is to blame. Jimmy Page! The original Black Magician-Rock Musician.

[​IMG]

There was a theatre that every Saturday night played a double bill of the Jimi Hendrix documentary movie followed by Led Zep's The Song Remains the Same. That was where my friends and I took refuge from the winter one entire winter. 1978? In the good old days of smoke anywhere and in that glorious, shabby palace smoke anything. The Music Hall, it's still there but has been renovated for live acts.

It has cast its spell upon me! I bought it. After the 3:00 mark it's like walking within a maelstrom of sonic glory. Love it!

lenny nero, jiffypopinski and 100423 like this.
  7. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Yeah, that is Paolo Girardi and I believe he is a musician as well. He has done some great covers... I really dig his work for Bell Witch and Lycus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dreadnought

:righton: He has done a ton of album covers, I've just now discovered, with your assistance. Paolo Girardi - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives Some I had without knowing (posted below). Regarding the Bell Witch and Lycus covers, I could put them on the wall. I already know the reaction. From a distance they look fairly conventional. With closer inspection the details dawn upon the viewer. :evil:

Artificial Brain

[​IMG]

Bufihimat

[​IMG]

Chthe'ilist

[​IMG]

And he's done the upcoming Hooded Menace split

[​IMG]

I know a minimum about art but some of his work reminds me of William Blake's like his Agony in the Garden (1799).

[​IMG]

Just on more of the (Led Zep) Kashmirian Black Metal. Now if I can only figure out how to rig our subway's audio system for a truly memorable ride. It'll go well with the standard announcement before the last stop of "This is a terminal station". :cool:

Bandcamp> PhSPHR Entropy, by DSKNT

lenny nero, jiffypopinski and Deuce66 like this.
  9. Dreadnought

Or more Turner (1775 – 1851)

[​IMG]

lenny nero and jiffypopinski like this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paolo also did the Power Trip record.

Check out his work on Facebook

[​IMG]

11. jiffypopinski

Now listening to Mensch Aus Gold by Ekpyrosis. I admit that I got this CD purely because of the label it was on but it's a real interesting mash up of post-punk and black metal.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  12. Dreadnought

I've been so enamored of the DSKNT album I spent a good amount of time looking for similar albums but had no fortune. I looked for a few end of year lists that had DSKNT (why is that annoying to type?) and listened to the other bands. Also the various other bands with some personal interaction. No luck. So I returned to indulging in D and the beauty of art as a singularity. It's certainly not the most complex or groundbreaking thing. Quite simple musically but is helped enormously by being so well sorted out as a recording, the mix and mastering. For me that's a hallmark of good sound when the higher the volume the better it gets. I am perplexed about how he knew where to place words during the song Exhaling Dust. I read an interview and the lyrics and well, it's cosmic nuttiness. Or not. I suppose the universe will collapse eventually but that isn't a pressing concern. I listened to two Black Metal offerings at Angry Metal Guy and did they ever strike as generic. I was cursing D for ruining ordinary bands, and also feeling sheepish as the DSKNT album isn't exactly the second coming of Abbey Road (the Black version). Then I was spared as the third album review had one song on it I liked. The rest of that album was too Doomy for me though.

Thankfully there are subtitles! :righton:

Cosmos related, NASA’s Juno spacecraft took this image of Jupiter’s northern hemisphere on Dec. 16, 2017.

[​IMG]

jiffypopinski, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  13. Dreadnought

I've been spellbound again by these cosmos traveling types.

14. Dreadnought

15. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  16. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Really digging this band! Thanks!

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  17. lenny nero

This is proof that the universe is an extreme metal fan.

Oh, the neighbs would love this look! Especially the mask.

One of my fave grimmest/kvltest artists has always been Zdzislaw Beksinski:

[​IMG]

18. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  19. jiffypopinski

I finally got the two Battle Dagorath CDs I ordered via Bandcamp. I am now enveloped in a snowy, swirling, cosmic abyss of the blackest hatred. I am at peace. :pleased:

20. jiffypopinski

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I sooooooooo dig Beksinski's work! I have a pretty sweet hardcover of his art that I sometimes stare at for lengthy periods of time. His stuff is absolutely beautiful... in a grotesque kind of way! :D

Dreadnought, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  21. lenny nero

I dig this Battle Dagorath. Love how it starts out.

I need to pick up a book of his stuff, I spend way too much time looking at his stuff on tumblr.

jiffypopinski and Dreadnought like this.
  22. 16s

16s Forum Resident

Artificial Brain gets a vote from me - its a more "audible" Portal :laugh: (although i like Portal better!!)

deege3000 and Dreadnought like this.
  23. Dreadnought

Yes, the mask! :laugh:

You each fared much better than I did on my recent deep sea dives. I came up empty. That Battle Dagorath is tops though for me to listen to properly. I was fairly excited when learning the vocalist for DSKNT also was on Cosmos Comedenti by Antiversum (2017) but it didn't work for me. Just too unstructured and back of the cave wailing. I did message DSKNT telling of my adoration for the album and received a customary reply. I should have asked some questions. Maybe I'll do so another time.

I didn't know him. Wow! I like the Wiki description of "specializing in the field of dystopian surrealism". As much as I like the paintings that seem open to interpretation (1 & 2) I can't help but see a storyboard narrative in the others that feeds into my desire for the animated movie Heavy Metal III with a Black Metal soundtrack. As Lenny said (but twisting his meaning in a Planet of the Apes rather than cosmos way)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lenny nero, jiffypopinski and 16s like this.
  24. Dreadnought

25. Dreadnought

I don't know Portal but I guess I will. :righton: