PInk Floyd-Japanesed Mini-LP 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norco74, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfausto

pfausto Forum Resident

It is present on older versions, maybe just quieter? I haven't heard the 2011 master myself, so I'm not sure. It's discussed here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-is-said-at-the-very-end-of-the-wall-album.131774/

2. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

OK. So I ordered 8 of these for my father for Christmas. It took a few days to ship, but then as others have said EMS was quick. I had them within a week. Finally got a chance to open up one of the CD's this morning: Obscured by Clouds. They really are exquisite. They seem perfect down to every detail. Just drop dead gorgeous packaging. Nice booklet with Obscured. I was very impressed! I then checked the overall thoughts on the 2011 CD remasters, and the consensus is they are decent.

End result: Ordered up the complete set of 15 for myself this afternoon. Should have them shortly after New Years I expect.

Needed these like I needed a hole in the head. :) But WTF, it's Christmas!

It'll be nice to retire my "eclectic" mix of Floyd CD's to the basement system, and have these for the main system. Even if I am a vinyl guy. ;)

PhantomStranger and old school like this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sorry I have not read the whole thread. I have most of these 2017 mini sleeves and very fine they are. Anyone know why they did not do Relics?

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

A quick update on claiming the promo box.

The coupons were sent to a 3rd party in Japan almost 3 weeks ago. They have been received and recently resent to the label in order to claim the promo box. Release date is still end of January.

5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Japonica just confirmed their receipt of my coupons! Just made the final payment... now I just have to wait for the box to become available....

6. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Mine showed up today!!! Woohoo! Will be going through them at length over the next couple of days, and will provide a full writeup. Can't say enough abut CD Japan. Items were super well packed, tracking number worked well, and they arrived in 1 week from Japan.

One of my "goals" for 2018 was "15 nights of Floyd". Going to listen to all 15 albums in order over the course of 2 weeks and a day. My wife is going to love it!! :goodie::pineapple::bdance:

7. Norco74

LoL. Especially the studio side of Ummagumma. :crazy:

8. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

I apologize if I missed this in the middle of all the discussions re: the coupon and display box: These are all the same masters as the 2011 Why Pink Floyd...? campaign, correct?

9. Correct.

rcrawley likes this.
  10. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

Is the 2011 Animals you speak of come from the Discovery box set?

11. Yes.

12. Audiophilehi

Thank you!

So is it fair to say if I bought the discovery box set I would have the best sounding Pink Floyd on CD or at least a close 2nd?

13. Correct. The Discovery box is the best one-stop solution for Pink Floyd fans. Better masterings may exist for a few albums in it, but you would have to spend a lot of time and money tracking them down.

14. Audiophilehi

Thanks so much! Appreciate the reply.

15. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

These mini-lps look absolutely stunning! I really hope they do Pulse as well!

16. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Did you end up buying them?

17. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

So what is the difference between this "Japanese" 2017 release and the 2016 one under the label PF records?

It's clear that they share the same 2011 "sound". Can someone tell me what separates them in terms of "image"?

Thanks

18. Norco74

Probably no difference in mastering. The Japanese replica packaging are using better material with some extras.

19. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

I have managed to resist, so far......

I don’t own a CD player any more (vinyl and streaming with a Linn /naim set up) and all my cd’s are packed away so as no sound improvements I have crossed off my list.

Still want them though!

Gary

20. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I imagine this will all be done once more in a few years in SHM-CD or BluSpec 2

21. Norco74

Got an email from the 3rd party who is taking care of getting the box on my behalf. Boxes from the label are starting to come in, soon to be packed and mailed!

Eric Weinraub likes this.
  22. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I got email from Japonica as well indicating my box should be arriving shortly to be shipped to me.

Norco74 likes this.
  23. Norco74

Received the box this morning, niiiiiiiiiice......

Package also includes an extra La vallée sticker and WYWH black bag with stickers. A letter in Japanese seems to explain why these two items were included with the box.

First class service from Japonica.

Eric Weinraub and Jerry Horne like this.
  24. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Any idea why the extra WYWH black bag or La Vallee sticker?

Does the WYWH bag have the same resealable tape on it, or is it a tape free version?

25. Norco74

Gave a go to the Japanese letter in Google translate. LOL

From what I understand, this mini LP japanese campaign sticker (black and white) wax affixed directly to the WYWH black bag and not to the outer vinyl tranparent sleeve. Some collectors complained to the label hence receiving a new bag with the original OBI sticker and WYWH logo sticker only.

As for La Vallée pink sticker, purists complained that it was affixed to the transparent outer sleeve and wanted an extra loose one as part of the memorabilia kit, just as the ones in DSOTM.

So no misprint as far as I can see..

I am appaled by these guys sense of perfection. :bigeek:

zinan and joannenugent like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.