Are there any great films that you'd never watch again because of how depressing/intense they are?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Dropping on Blu-ray soon. Will check it out.

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Synecdoche, New York

It's debatable that it's a great film, but it's definitely artistic, and almost epic in my eyes. I only saw it once, and to be completely honest, I can't say I even understood it. After watching it though, I came away with the feeling that it was a tremendous film with a lot to say; but was also depressing as hell. I wanted to re-watch it, to try to get a better handle on it, but I could never muster the emotional strength.

Chris DeVoe and vince like this.
  3. This is one of my favourite movies, 70's conspiranoic at its best. The UK Studiocanal BD is excellent, picture is good as well as sound which is available on its original mono and remixed 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. It features a nice booklet and a fair amount of extras.

BrentB likes this.
  4. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

1.Easy Rider is my #1 because after witnessing the needless murders of Goerge(Jack Nicholson)&especially Captain America(Peter Fonda)&Billy(Dennis Hopper) I could never stand the pain to sit through the whole movie again.

2.Platoon their is nothing more depressing than the reality of death and war.Once was enough.(1986)

3.Janis Joplin is nothing more than a heartbreaking document on the decline of at that time the 1st Lady of Rock n Rolls downward spiral into smack which eventually killed her.Too depressing after one time.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I saw it once in highschool (over 20 years ago) but have never had the chance to see it again... I'm really excited that it's finally getting a Blu-ray/DVD release later this month! It's about freakin' time! ;)

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I can only recall one part in Bone Tomahawk that I would consider graphic/brutal....

7. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

My wife , though she thinks Brazil is a GREAT film , will never watch it again.
    She feels ( as do I ) that we are pretty much living in that world.

vince likes this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That just seems like a contradiction to me. If a film isn't enjoyable, then it's not a great film. I don't think I've ever encountered a movie that I thought was great but didn't enjoy watching. Very bizarre concept, in my opinion.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, I've seem them both. Salo is about a million times more tame than its reputation would have you believe (as is the case with most "shocking" films), and while A Serbian Film is definitely quite f**ked up, I've only seen the edited version, which apparently cuts out a couple of the more extreme scenes of nastiness.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's correct, I've never been upset or disturbed by a film, period. The closest I've ever come to being "upset" were during the very small number of films that choked me up slightly due to sad content.... getting a lump in my throat or maybe shedding a tear or two, but that's about it. I don't really consider that as being "upset".

I've got plenty of things in real life to be legitimately upset about... don't need it happening during movies, too. :p

11. For me, "incredibly depressing" and "enjoyable" are mutually exclusive.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I had a feeling you would say that based on your previous statements. I however have seen quite a few films that I would consider "great" as in incredibly well made but not enjoyable because of the subject matter. You seem to be one of the few people on this thread that doesn't understand that concept.

13. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

The scene where they scalp the guy and force it into his mouth?

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, but it's what happens to him immediately afterwards that's really nasty. ;)

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I understand it, I just disagree with it 100%.

16. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I highly doubt that, you yourself mentioned that you couldn't understand how anyone would get upset or disturbed by a film. With that kind of logic I can see how you would have a hard time understanding why others wouldn't watch a certain film twice. Also this isn't something to agree or disagree about, its just a concept that you don't get which is fine. Based on your previous posts it seems like films are just surface level entertainment for you and nothing deeper than that.

17. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

No different from any other aspect of my life! :p

19. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favourite movies, but despite owning it on first dvd and then bluray I've only seen the movie twice. Once on television and once on dvd. Still haven't seen the bluray. I'd love to see it on bluray one day, but since it's so depressing I always pick something else instead.

20. G E

G E Senior Member

Lye scene in Wise Blood! You had to remind me....

'91 cape fear is an inferior retread of greg Peck and Bob Mitchum vehicle. I'm surprised they got away with some that dialog in the original ... and the egg scene in the drifting houseboat. Powerful moment... the rage within Mitchum ... that poor woman....

Taxi Driver felt like a kick to the stomach in 1976. (Blue Velvet had a similar effect in its first theatrical showing). I believe Bernard Herman's score had a lot to do with the overall uneasiness of taxi driver. It was his last film score and it's a great one. Listen to it through the end credits. There is no let up. No catharsis.

The violence portrayed in television these days eclipses taxi driver by a large measure. Runaway teenage hookers, disturbed loners, skewed morality all part of the everyday landscape of our oversaturated media experience. The Mohawk that was a shocker in first view ing no longer elicits... anything.

That's the problem with pushing the envelope... it goes further and further beyond the grotesque

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    ohnothimagen, arley and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  21. G E

G E Senior Member

Silence of the Lambs. I will never lay eyeballs on this film again. Never.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Terrible timing - the Criterion 2-disc BluRay is just about to drop.

23. rocknron

rocknron Forum Resident

I unknowingly watched Salo (actually didn't finish) based on it being a "Criterion" release. By far the worst film ever made.

24. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

I recommended a gritty Brit flick called tyranasaur. Once

25. Cippi

Cippi Senior Member

Gavinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.