Tom Petty "Wildflowers" vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingsley Candler, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Candler

Kingsley Candler Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Please, can someone explain to me exactly WHY copies of this, new or used, are so stupidly expensive?

2. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Very limited pressings of a lot of albums on labels under
    the WB umbrella records at the time.
    I paid about a hundred for mine 5/6 years ago, but you should see what
    mint REM New Adventures In Hi-Fi, and Lou Reed's
    Set The Twilight Reeling and Ecstasy albums go for.
    200 Euros for the Lou?!
    I once nearly shelled out €500 for
    - She's The One
    - The Last DJ
    - Echo
    from the one guy but I chickened out.
    I did pick them all up earlier this year on reissues, for 20% the price!

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Such a great album wish I had it on vinyl and Into The Great Wide Open also

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

They're expensive because they were both limited runs. The 1994 vinyl was ...well, in 1994. By this time most record stores didn't sell records.
    I have records from this time period that suck and are worth over a hundred dollars just because of rarity.

I think the 2016 version might only be available in the Studio Box Vol. 2.
    I would get the box set, if you want it. Acoustic Sounds has it for $220.
    Tom Petty The Heartbreakers-The Complete Studio Albums Volume 2 1994-2014-Vinyl Box Sets|Acoustic Sounds

5. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Got both of them for about $10 apiece when they first came out. The early to mid nineties was a great time to stick with vinyl. I'm glad I did. Wildflowers is a great sounding record.

Myke, Former Lee Warmer, Ere and 9 others like this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Buy both of the recent boxes. They’re both well worth the money. You’ll likely stop worrying about all this other nonsense.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  7. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Into The Great Wide Open is available remastered and sounds great. Buy it!!!

dennis1077, FJFP, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  8. Clonesteak

Anyone have any idea when Wildflowers will be released individually?

This is the only TP album I don’t have on vinyl. The CD is trapped in my wife’s car and I want it back.

Sean and tinnox like this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It’s the only one that wasn’t released individually from that box. The only album not in print. It was also a big seller at the time. It is definitely coming out. I think it was held back for a reissue with “all the rest” and Tom was going to tour it, make a big deal out of it, etc. With Tom’s passing the record company have to rethink a bit, double album with “all the rest” or maybe release Wildflowers first and then All The Rest as a follow up. Whatever makes Warners the most money will be the winning decision.

10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Try buying the Black Crowes’ Lions or By Your Side on vinyl. Jeesh.

nfmboss666, Sean and walrus like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It'll be reissued soon, don't worry. Timeframe may have shifted with Tom's unfortunate passing, but I am sure the Wildflowers expanded reissue he was working on will still see the light of day this year, and along with, a standalone issue of the LP. I assume this is why it was left out of the individual releases of his other albums, and unfortunately is now just pushed back.

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Tom had a few Record Store Releases so maybe in April:)

OptimisticGoat and ptijerm like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think it'll be another time, when they can make a big event out of it, along with the outtakes, box set, whatever else they're planning on doing with it.

tinnox likes this.
  14. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I got my for $10 sealed at Amoeba Records in Hollywood around 2003. They randomly had several copies of it out. This was before the vinyl craze was happening. I worked at a record store from Jan 1995- 1999 and we sold new vinyl. Wildflowers never was at our store nor did I ever see a sales sheet having the ability to buy it. I think this vinyl has a weird strange story tied to it that no one knows about. I remember having the other Petty albums that came after Wildflowers in stock. I frequented a lot of record stores back in the day and never saw it in the wild until that day in Amoeba.

PS- I was planning on selling my copy right before Petty's death to help pay for some home improvements. I went ahead and sold it for $ 550. Crazy!

16. elvisergud

elvisergud New Member

Sean, canonlon, benzo and 1 other person like this.
  17. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

We can only hope this is a precursor of things to come in the US and it will be available this year. I did translate the page and it is strictly a re-issue of the original material with no bonus tracks....

18. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

May 25th ! Cool. I've waited years for a reissue

19. Clonesteak

The movie “Solo” comes out the same time. My sons birthday party and “Wildflowers” will be played all weekend!!! Yeah... it should be a good weekend.

canonlon likes this.
  20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Is the release date the same in the US I have not seen any mention for here.

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Hmm. Until it starts appearing online elsewhere as a pre-order, I will remain sceptical.

22. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd be waiting on a more concrete confirmation/announcement before expecting it in May.

23. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I see vinyl records cost somewhere in the range of $25-$35 or more....I never would buy a record for those prices. I used to buy records for $10-$15 or less....can't see how any record is worth $35 or more. I prefer CDs and before that, cassettes were great. I'm actually surprised record players and records have made a comeback. It's very rare that we go back in time with things. Maybe typewriters and cassette tapes will make a comeback too.

I would love to see the Running Down A Dream coffee table book re-printed cause a lot of people would love to buy it. I see it on Amazon for $200 for the book and the Zollo book "Conversations with Petty" should also be re-printed. It's being sold on Amazon for $150 for the book. Ridiculous. Tom Petty would be incensed to see these high prices and he always wanted his stuff to be affordable to all fans and not just to the "elite".

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

What does this have to do with Wildflowers?:shrug:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  25. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I sold my original pressing for a pretty penny, so I'm hoping the reissue will be available this year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.