Roxy Music - Avalon....why no audiophile treatment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richbdd01, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

This. The standard releases are already better than many audiophile releases of other albums.

The SACD is my go to version but the Target CD and early press LP I have are no slouches either.

One issue I have with many audiophile releases is that the standard releases are usually high quality anyway. I'd like to see more audiophile treatment of known poor releases.

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The original SACD or the SHM-SACD?

3. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

SHM. I haven't heard the original but keeping an eye out for it.

Which of the two do you prefer?

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Easily the SHM-SACD, it's smoother and more crankable. I was impressed with the original SACD at the time, but in retrospect its too aggressively EQ'd. The surround mix is still amazing.

Crimson Witch, lance b and Chooke like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Again, the basic obvious things you need for an audiophile reissue:

Can it be licensed?
    Will it sell enough copies?
    Are there original masters?
    Are they in top condition?
    Will the master owner let them be mastered at the facility of the audiophile label's choosing?
    Is this reissue a major improvement over what preceded it?
    For LP, are the masters playable in one pass for mastering?
    Do they meet technical criteria for a minimalist hands off audiophile mastering?

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm happy with the SHM SACD, though I think it would be hard to make this album sound bad on any format...

The fact that the album has had 2 SACD releases is pretty audiophile to me...Avalon has done alright.:D

proedros, lance b and Chooke like this.
  7. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Cheers, I won't look so hard for them. I've always been satisfied with the SHM-SACD.

8. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Is the SHM-SACD still easily available?

9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Groggy likes this.
  10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

It's a really difficult choice and it's system dependant. Basically the Black Triangle sounds better in my car (Harman Kardon stereo upgrade) and on small earbuds like my Bose's. But the Polydor sounds better on my main system... almost.

The Polydor projects a huge soundstage and has unparalleled air and openness. There's no way to tell where the speakers are anymore, once o a bit of volume. It also uses the full frequency range from deep bass to crispy treble. It's a jaw dropping mastering, very very analytical. But there's also a hint (and really just a hint) of that 80's digital sheen. It sounds a bit thin in my car and on earbuds, because these devices just don't get the low frequency every out.

The Black Triangle has a smaller sound stage, less airiness and a smaller frequency range than the Polydor. It doesn't go as deep as the Polydor, but compensates this with a nice upper bass bump. This puts the rhythm section (drums, percussion, bass) more in the foreground of the music. The upper bass EQ'ing makes the album sound warmer and having more body on cheaper equipement. And on good equipment it makes the bass stand out more (like the bass guitar on the Duran Duran and Kate Bush BTs). I like that sound a lot, but some people might call it a bit "murky". The treble sounds a bit rolled off on this master, but I might be fooled by the low end being more prominently in the overall sound. This mastering lacks digital sheen completely, BTW.

Basically I think the Black Triangle is like a cosy sweater that is always nice to wear, but might be quite underdressed is some circumstances. The Polydor is definitely black tie, but you have to shave and wear serious shoes too. It woes the ladies, but you have to work for it. I'm definitely keeping both.

GT40sc, sonnyrock and c-eling like this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Excellent review Yost, many thanks! I received the old US PDO Silver yesterday (Uses the Target Japan and WG Polydor mastering). I thoroughly enjoyed it and spot on with your analysis :cheers:

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Sure has. How much more audiophile can Avalon get?

13. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

I agree with this completely.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I picked up an original US Warner Brothers cd for 3 bucks at FYE this friday, played it in the car today with no EQ applied at all and it sounds absolutely amazing!!! I don't even need to check it on my home system to know that it can't get better. It's THAT good!!! :thumbsup:

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Agreed, and same goes for the original U.S. vinyl. The inevitable "UK vinyl is better" chorus can go soak its heads.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As much as i generally didn’t like their releases, the Simply vinyl version takes some beating...

17. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I see the SACD getting a lot of praise as well. I need to check it out!

18. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My wife played that cd on the way home from our first anniversary date.

19. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Yup, what it says in my booklet!

Played it again today in the basement.
    Can't say I disagree!!

What other Roxy/Ferry cd-versions are recommended? Besides Avalon I've got the EG cd's of s/t and Flesh And Blood and the Platinum Collection.

20. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

This would be my take...

21. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

This is what I have bought upon release. It does sound very good.

22. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

The Simply Vinyl release is a nice package...sounds quite good imo.
    ATB,
    Mark

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Link for this?

24. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Watch from 12:05-13:50 to hear about the pressing and why he feels the original UK (gives the part # even) is a better sound...

marcfeld69 likes this.