40th anniversary of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My very first trip to England was early March 1978. A friend picked me up at the airport and when he turned on the radio, the first thing we heard was Wuthering Heights.

I went and bought the single the next day in London. Still have my copy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Thank you.

CBS 65780 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Moshe

I think if one were to get on her bad side, she wouldn't have to say anything.
    She'd just look at you with those eyes and you might as well just pack up and go. You're finished.

4. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Find it difficult watching some of those old vids with the bulging eyes and ridiculous interpretive dancing etc, like she learned to dance watching Pan's People on TOTP, lol. But...what an incredible talent she was. Loved Wuthering Heights from the first time I heard it on the radio and bought the album on cassette when it came out. Classic set of songs which I'll never grow tired of listening to.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What we need would be vinyl re-issues of her later albums:evil:

CBS 65780 likes this.
  6. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Maybe we'll have Kate Bush At Sixty; Complete Retrospective.
    All albums in boxsets.
    Vinyl standalone reissues all round.
    And an exhibition in the V&A.
    Donald Sutherland can do the self tour headset voiceover.
    Let's start a petition!

7. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

As I'm currently loving Aldous Harding's Party CD right now I thought I'd post her cover of WH here. She too is slightly manic in appearance/performance (cf her video for "Horizon"), has an embarrassing video for her song "Blend" but makes wonderful music in a folk vein. Well worth checking out.

8. The copy I bought March ‘78 Oxford Street London.

[​IMG]

Randoms, JoshM, longdist01 and 14 others like this.
  9. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Apologies if this is well known but I only discovered it a few nights ago on YouTube. Clicked play expecting some terrible auto-tuned comedy clip, but no...

Maybe not quite perfect, but close enough all things considered. I could feel my face turn purple just thinking about hitting those notes.

10. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I used to listen to shortwave radio and I caught BBC and Radio Netherland broadcasts back in the late 70s and I fell in love with "Wuthering Heights." I bought the US "The Kick inside" LP once it was released on the strength of the song and I was not disappointed at all! I love that album and I remember that I carefully dubbed it onto my stereo cassette deck so I could listen to it without wearing out the vinyl record. It was also among one of the first 10 or 15 CD titles I ever bought. I wish the US LP had the original UK cover.

Here is a pic of the various covers for the album.

[​IMG]

Randoms, basie-fan, Mbe and 4 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Of course, Pat Benatar covered it on her Crimes Of Passion album in 1980.

DesertHermit and bluemooze like this.
  12. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

I don't have a way to post an image, but I just remembered that I have the promo 7" single of this song, U.S. release.

13. anyone can Post images here. Instructions in the forum rules. EZ

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

15. Moshe

@OP

Sorry, I misread your title.
    I was under the impression it was about The Kick Inside album.
    I don't know how I got that.
    Sorry about that.

16. Moshe

[​IMG]

Just had to post this one.

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I'd stay up late to watch Benny Hill on channel 2 on Sunday nights while growing up in the SF Bay Area market and saw this quite by accident. One of my early crushes and as someone so hysterically typed......"A Perfect Woman." Not that she isn't, it's just something Douglas Reynholm from IT Crowd might say. Love Kate, although that Running Up That Hill song and video always disturbed me for some reason. Truly a treasure and this song has one of the best choruses ever.

18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Great song. Love Kate Bush. I have a few singles of her's. The covers of the singles are real cool. Very conceptual. More so than her album covers.

I wish they'd release a DVD of the recent concert run she did.

19. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

When the charts counted

CBS 65780 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Just listened to the song on YouTube (I couldn't understand the lyrics this first go round.). Then I watched that Top of the Pops video the OP posted (amazing; I also could begin to make out the lyrics quite a bit better.) Then I googled the lyrics.

This song is remarkably and hauntingly chilling.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

Class tune and what a guitar solo! and while we're posting favourite covers...

Mark Snowden likes this.
  22. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Hardly any of the UK issues of that had picture covers. If ever there was an artist that a record company wanted on the cover of their debut single it was Kate Bush! IIRC most UK 45s were in pic covers by then and I remember being surprised when this wasn't :)

Man at C&A and bleachershane like this.
  23. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Like the song, but for me the only album of hers where every track was really good was Hounds of Love. IMO all her other albums have maybe one or two listenably songs on them. Everything seemed right for HOL, one of the few albums i own where i don't skip a track or two.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Glad you dug it. I know some aren't into her dancing, but she was rarely one to just stand behind the microphone and belt it out.

The Scene '78 video had to take quite a bit of planning and rehearsal, coordinating the movements of the camera operator, at least one grip, a cable handler and the engineer controlling the camera's iris - as the Plumbicon cameras of the time would be burned by being aimed directly at a light - all of them dragging around this thousand pound thing. You can see one of them around 2:10.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    longdist01 and bleachershane like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cool..Ok, now I have to play both versions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.