Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Did you think that they would really sell a few, if they had them, at regular prices now that sealed ones are going for $500? Sure, just to be nice guys. Trust me, if any retailer has any left, their going to sell them at premium prices. Check out the thread that states Audio Fidelity is opening up the "vaults" to sell out of print products. Are they selling them at regular prices??? No sir! Prices are through the roof according to market trends based on each title.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  2. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Wow that was a cruel software glitch!

I could have seen Sound Stage Direct honoring the original pricing, though. A couple of big flips aren’t worth their integrity, and they are good people with a solid business.

3. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Preorder for BOTW is up at Acoustic Sounds (1 per customer)

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

When something is this limited, I personally can't imagine ordering from anyone, other than Music Direct.

Cassius, MikeT and amgradmd like this.
  5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Just received this from Acoustic Sounds from their newsletter of new releases including MFSL One-Step 45rpm lps, BOTW.
    As you read, Limit 1 per customer but if you order more than one, there's an adjustment, more money of course!

[​IMG]

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have nothing against Acoustic Sounds, as I order from them all the time, but if anyone reading this forum and has ordered One-Step releases in the past has learned anything - is ONLY ORDER ONE-STEP MFSL RELEASES FROM MUSIC DIRECT OR MFSL - or prepared to be shut-out (possibly) - as Myke also indicates.

I don't work for Music Direct, nor do I have any personal interest in their company, other than the fact that I order from them as much as I do Acoustic Sounds.

That said, anyone who really wants this one step release should go to this link and order (again no offense intended towards Acoustic Sounds):

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (Lmt Ed UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm Vinyl 2LP Box Set)

5-String, Myke and Wounded Land like this.
  7. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Could not agree more @MikeT. And I love Acoustic Sounds!

Myke and MikeT like this.
  8. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

£124 in the uk

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

$168.24 is the current exchange price.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It will be a lot more. Probably £140 +. Ordered from Music Direct which will be £109 incl postage if I am lucky with customs. Otherwise add £28 approx.

11. Guber

Guber Well-Known Member

I agree with Mike T. I ordered the Fagen one-step from AS last summer. I called AS around a month after Music Direct shipped out the Fagen asking when they planned on shipping the Fagen. The rep said they will ship it when they receive it. To this day I haven’t received the Fagen from AS. Fortunately I ordered a Fagen from MD also and got a copy. Not sure what is going on in the back end, but I won’t order any more one-steps from AS, and I am a huge AS fan.

Myke likes this.
  12. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Notice there is also mention of Jimi Hendrix "Axis Bold As Love" UHQR on Music Direct either. It appears the war has started. If Music Direct had simply started with allotting a certain percentage of One Step albums to other retailers then other retailers would respond in kind. Now the response is in kind. It's kind of sad that it has developed this way, but that's business.

Anyway, I await word on when the Simon & Garfunkel album and the Hendrix album will be shipped. I'm eager to hear them.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I don't like the original Mofi ziggy, I prefer the original UK by far.

14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm sure if they did it on One Step, it would be a completely different mastering than the old mofi. Same as with the last One Step of Nightfly. Mofi did that back in the day as well and the old mofi does not compare to the new One Step pressing. So given the track record of the last 3 One Step releases, I'd be willing to bet if they did do Ziggy, it would be out of this world. Whatever it is, the process or the mastering, this latest One Step records are really the cat's ass.

buzshaws, FashionBoy and stenway like this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

MoFi under Music Direct is a completely different company with different mastering engineers. Comparing an old MoFi with a new one is like comparing a '60s Beetle with a new one.

FashionBoy likes this.
  16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Wrong..... Krieg Wunderlich already worked there before Music Direct jumped in. And even senior mastering engineer Shawn Britton was also mastering engineer before MFSL went bancrupt in 1999. The only new mastering guy is RLV.

17. AnalogJ

I think I'm partially wrong. The previous Nightfly done under the MFSL banner was previous to the Anadisc output. I'm not sure if Wunderlich and Britton were working for them then.

I'll have to revisit the Anadisc LPs in my collection. I didn't realize that the engineers from that era carried over.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Stan Ricker and Krieg Wunderlich did the LP cutting at that time.... I have met KW and SB in 1994. MD bought MFSL five or six years later.

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I come late to the party... so yes I miss the 1st 3 releases, now all are in hands of the Scalpers on eBay and Discogs for inflated prices, so my mandatory question is, Mofi plans print more of the 1st 3?
    I see mofi for simon and g... print more copies 7500, so maybe more easy to get one.
    by the way, why not Bookends! :( my fav of simon an g.
    I go to read more of this topic to see reviews on the sound quality, I just read more comments about if the disc arrive or not than sound quality.

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Don't hold your breath. I'm sure MOFI will not print more of the first 3 titles. Jump early or lose out. Sorry for the harshness, but that's the way it is with limited editions that receive positive reviews. Yes, mofi is now planning to print 7500 of S&G, now that they realize that their records will sell for $100. I'm sure, at first, there was some worry as to product moving at such high prices, but the market has shown that buyers are willing to pay that and 3 or 4 times that amount on ebay. Pre order now or pay later.

ted321 likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

Not always.

When Warner Brothers had Steve Hoffman remaster Rumours several years ago at both 33 and 45rpm, the 45rpm was supposed to be a limited edition. But after the 45rpm got rave reviews and sold like hotcakes, WB decided to press some more. I know of this personally.

BUT, that's not MFSL's modus-operandi, from my experience. Back in the '80s, MFSL did do a 2nd pressing of The Beatles albums. I'm sure that was due to how well the first pressing did. You'd find them not just at audiophile audio stores, where they were initially marketed, but at regular record stores.

22. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Sure, it happened and it's possible, but I doubt that mofi will break from the limited promise on these One Step pressings. That would piss off the initial buyers who were told that the product they were buying was "Limited" to a certain number. (2500 for Abraxas, 5000 for Sunday and 6000 for Fagen). I don't believe Warner Brothers ever stated a number for the Rumours release, just said it was "limited." Sure, "limited" to whatever number they come up with. Whores! And while it's nice for the people who didn't jump early, it hurts those of us who did because the collectability just went out the window.

David P. Hill likes this.
  23. digitalwitness

digitalwitness Member

There are currently 6 more One Step pressings available for pre-order from Music Direct over the phone.

Simon & Garfunkel - BOTW (also available for pre-order online)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
    Bill Evans - Portraits in Jazz
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - I actually forget which album it is, but I think it's "In Step"
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going on?

They are all set to release this year. I'd call and order your copies now as it seems these pressings are getting more and more popular. I didn't think to ask MD about pressing numbers, but am considering calling back to see if they have that info.

Slick Willie likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Couldn’t Stand the Weather

25. Ports

Ports Forum Resident

No way these are all released this year.