The Doors' Strange Days 50th Edition Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

is the same vinyl, is the same dead wax

2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I was talking about old RSD mono and CD2 from the Expanded edition. Though, I expected that after 50th anniversary s/t treatment they will do the same to Strange Days regarding using the same mono LP.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I wonder why they would use the older digital transfer for the debut mono and then do a new transfer for the mono Strange Days rather than use the one done for the RSD vinyl. Especially when the new one has the chewed up spots in WTMO that they even acknowledged in the liners. Why not use the previous transfer without those issues?

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I would call it the mono 2017 remaster.

murch likes this.
  5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Okay, so now that we have the first two Doors albums in mono, plus all the mono mixes of the singles officially released, that's it for true mono mixes for the Doors, correct?

jsayers likes this.
  6. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Wintertime Love on the mono LP is dedicated for some reason. It wouldn't surprise me if there are others in the vaults that never saw release back in the day.

7. Trainspotting

Interesting. So on the Waiting for the Sun album, we have "Wintertime Love," "Hello, I Love You," "Love Street," "The Unknown Soldier," and "We Could Be So Good Together" all in in true mono. Anything else?

8. Lord Hawthorne

The LP has folds of "Unknown Soldier" and "We Could Be So Good Together", even though there were dedicated mono mixes made for the single.

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

What a travesty. The single mixes for those are the bees knees and amongst my favourites on the singles set.

James5001 and John Bliss like this.
  10. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Great album. Last year I buyed the DCC cd on eBay.
    I love That mastering

Pats Radio and PhantomStranger like this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Didn't know where else to post, and didn't want to start a new thread, but today is the anniversary of the release of the debut album, 51 years ago!

12. Agisthos

Agisthos Active Member

Is the Strange Days 50th anniversary stereo 16/44 version the same as the 40th anniversary? Or is it a new remaster like the debut album 50th anniversary?

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's a new remaster AFAIK.

14. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, it's the same way as the debut 50th ann. but with this album an original master tape was used rather than a copy. To be more clear, both releases feature masters by Doug Sax, which were prepared earlier for Analogue Productions 45's and SACDs from the Infinite Boxset.

anastasios likes this.
  15. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I like strange days. I find it better than the doors..
    I have the DCC cd.
    No need to buy this one.

16. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and Soundslave like this.
  17. Trainspotting

So, we're into 2018 now, has there been any word yet on what the 50th anniversary edition of Waiting for the Sun will entail?

18. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

How do you think people would feel about a fold down of the stereo mix on vinyl?

19. Agisthos

Agisthos Active Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

As far as the mono mix on the 50th 2CD, just how bad is the tape damage? How is the stereo mix sound quality wise?

bruce2 likes this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It boggles my mind, but I read people praising fold downs on here all the time.

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don't recall any tape damage. There is, however, a bunch of distortion but that is part of the mix. Has been there since the 1st press vinyl. The stereo mix is far higher fidelity, but some prefer the mixing choices of the mono. I find it to be a tough listen because of the distortion. It's similar to worn needle or inner groove distortion.

I don't care for the 50th stereo. Uses the same mastering as the SACD, which was sourced from a copy rather than the master.

23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The reason I ask is that the only Strange Days CDs I have are the 1980s unremastered CD and the 1988 remaster. I never bought the cube box set Complete Studio Recordings since it was too expensive. In fact after buying the 1997 boxset I did not buy any Door's related music or very little until the post Jim Morrison albums came out on CD and the singles set. Before CDs possibly go extinct I would like to have the whole catalog of the 6 studio albums in the best fidelity possible with the original stereo mixes without resorting to the black market for gold CDs/hi-res audiophile CDs. The mono mix of this album would be a great bonus if the stereo is acceptable enough for me to listen to.

24. Lord Hawthorne

This is Love Street, nobody complains here.

stereoptic likes this.
  25. Lord Hawthorne

You can hear volume drops toward the end of the mono "When The Music's Over".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.