Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Groovy, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Film looks great, been waiting on this one for a little while and might finally catch it this week. Loooved In Bruges

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I just saw this yesterday. Can't stress enough how good I thought this movie was. It featured the saddest scene I ever recall watching... ever. And it made me laugh during scenes humor seemed impossible. This is the best movie I have seen this year.

3. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Tremendous movie, will be purchasing the bluray for sure. Worth repeated viewings.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  4. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Watched it this weekend. Loved the cast. Full of flawed characters with spinning moral compasses, almost all of 'em. After the end upon leaving the theater I asked my wife "So, did you like the way that ended?" She said...

5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think they kill Idaho man. It might not be the guy that killed the daughter. But he raped and burned... somebody. Country justice.

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It had some incredible twists (incredible as in "not credible"), but I attribute that to its nature as a quasi-satirical black comedy. McDormand is an absolute force of nature, one of the best in the business.

P.S. The mods might consider putting a spoiler warning in the thread title.

7. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I felt like the first half of the film felt had some editing issues but it seemed to get better as it progressed. Frances was good and deserving of an Oscar nod. Thing is, she's always differing levels of greatness. The take-away was Sam Rockwell's tour-de-force performance. Over-all, a good to great film.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Absolutely brilliant.

goldenoldie likes this.
  9. alexpop

That guy's got major acting skills.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  10. alexpop

My feelings exactly!!!
    8/10

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I’m thinking the best-picture Oscar contest will come down to either Three Billboards (women mistreated by men) or The Post (press under siege). The former has to be the frontrunner after its Golden Globe win. I’ll be seeing the latter tomorrow.

12. alexpop

The Press.
    Flop.

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You don’t think Shape of Water will contend?

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Shape of Water thread here has several people already declaring that it has the oscar locked up already

15. Monosterio

It will be nominated.
    That’s just because Steve said it. ;)

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The eye is all knowing all seeing...........you better smile when you say that, son.:wtf::D

17. Monosterio

If you tell me how Shape of Water relates to a certain individual who shall go unnamed (by me at least), I’ll add it to my list of movies I think have a chance. :D

The Panda likes this.
  18. alexpop

Best of the recent bunch, being Molly's Game and Hostiles.

19. alexpop

Trailer didn't do the film justice.

20. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I'm excited to see Shape of Water this evening. My wife and I saw The Post last night and liked it. Hanks and Streep are part of an ensemble cast as opposed to a singular great performance. There are other films this year I liked more. Solid B.

snowman872 likes this.
  21. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I totally loved it. All three main actors were excellent. Some very funny parts ‘did Penelope really say begat’? ‘ I read it on a bookmark, inside a book on polio’. Just genius. Black black comedy.

22. It's Felix

How were shape and the post. Worth seeing?

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched three billboards again, and I have to say that that comedic actor who was in galaxy quest is really good in this. He’s a shoe in for the supporting actor. He deserves it for playing the boob for so long. But in this film hes. a boob with some character. Kind of an odd character at this time in history, the racist who gets redeemed. That was actually a little surprising to see. The favorite for female Oscar is Francis McDormand, but she’s done better. She basically wore the same scowl for this entire thing and Her performance was kind of a cliché. Old woody Harrelson was pretty damn good in it too but nothing really new from him. It’s kind of a good film and it’s kind of a little lazy so I don’t know how handily I recommend it for best film, but the las Vegas odds Makers are betting on it being best picture so far. I can see it winning but it would be another MEH victory for me at the Oscars.

There must’ve been a film I really liked I just can’t think of what it was. All I know is the disaster artist made me laugh. And Molly’s Game was well done and a fun ride. . I started the Florida Project but I wasn’t ready to climb down in the gutter for the afternoon so I’m going to wait on that one. Hopefully I’m saving the best for last, The Post. But no one is ever going to top Jason Robards as Ben Bradley.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know you're joking, right? :agree:
    He BECAME Chuck Barris in "Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind"!

25. It's Felix

Who was the guy from galaxy quest? Sam Rockwell? Sorry I couldn’t really follow your post, but he was pretty funny I thought. Played the dope well.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.