New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

They've made the mirror universe seem dull. That's quite a feat. I'm sure even 'Voyager' didn't do that, though I stopped watching that after one reset too many. Lorca is fine, so are most of the crew. That security guy from the Klingon prison cell is just dull. Haven't watched last nights episode yet. Fell asleep during the previous episode. Missed a bit, couldn't be bothered to rewind it. 'The Orville" isn't any better either. Whoever the captain is in that needs replacing with someone who can act.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Disagree completely. And 'whoever' is the captain....seriously??

Higlander and Dr. Pepper like this.
  3. KAJ1971

Just looked him up on IMDB. 'The Orville' has a 7.9 rating on there! Looking at his history I can see 'Johnny Bravo', 'Cow & Chicken' & 'Ted' I've watched more than once. 'American Dad' & 'Family Guy' I found to be tripe. 'Ted 2' too. I guess his 'thing' isn't my thing.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess so. I've only seen Family Guy (which I love) and Ted(s) (which were good in parts, but not throughout). However, The Orville is excellent once it found its footing after the first two eps.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  5. KAJ1971

Only seen the first two episodes. Girlfriend wants to watch it. She likes 'Family Guy'. I'll give episode three a chance if I'm in when she watches it. But there's only so much time and no shortage of things I know I'll need to fit in.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was aware of the theory and could see it coming as the episode progressed. I've been a fan since TOS was on and I'm really enjoying the show, though the rage it has generated among "fans" is disheartening and is causing me to disengage from the fan community. This might make me a little less aware of what's coming in the future.

Personally, I hope a way is found to keep Lorca as captain. I don't think Michael is ready for the position.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Love Orville and love Discovery! What I really like is that they both head in completely different directions from each other, but each excel at what they do. Discovery's huge unheard of for Trek story and character arcs are wonderfully amazing, and Orville is telling some of the best stand alone episodes of any Trek! I'm a happy camper for sure!

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Neither is Saru, but he's getting there. His decision on what to do with Lieutenant Schizophrenia was just cold.

9. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Wow! This show really has twist after twist, didn't see that coming at all...!! What a great series.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I anticipated the twist about 10 seconds before the reveal. Wow!!!!

Encuentro likes this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I thought it was a weak episode until the reveal

12. Edgard Varese

Anyone see the current one? Down here at the bottom of the Earth where I live we get the new ones on Tuesdays, so will be watching tonight.

13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Best episode so far methinks.

MikeJedi and Edgard Varese like this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

So does anybody think that we haven’t seen the last of
    Lorca? There was something going on with that spore sinking into Tilly’s shoulder. I certainly hope we have not seen the last of him. He is such a strong and charismatic character. As it stands, Discovery has a new and very able captain in Saru.

The Federation has a new ally and weapon in the form of
    former Mirror Universe Emperor Georgiou. With the Federation’s dire position in the war, I’m sure they won’t hesitate to use Georgiou’s ruthlessness, savagery and tactical expertise against the Klingons.

Only two more episodes to go.

15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

16. Edgard Varese

Agreed on both points.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

18. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I wonder what happened to the 'normal' Captain Lorca?

19. Edgard Varese

I'm thinking he will make an appearance soon.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I believe, but I’m not sure, it was mentioned that he was killed in battle.

Edit:

Speaking to EW, Isaacs cryptically discussed where ‘Prime’ Lorca really is:

“There was a Prime Lorca, he was captain of the Buran in the Prime world. He swapped with him and found himself captain of the Buran. This never came out, this backstory detail we never put in the dialogue: Although Lorca spins this story having had to sacrifice the men on Buran and had to blow them up to save them from Klingon torture. Actually, if I remember correctly, there was some kind of DNA identification that would have exposed Lorca as not being Prime Lorca, and so he blew up the ship and killed everyone on it.”

Star Trek Discovery Reveals Prime Universe Captain Lorca

21. Edgard Varese

I thought it was the case that it was believed that both Lorca and Burnham were killed (in the Mirror Universe), but that it was only true for Burnham. I don't recall any reference to "Normal" Lorca.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Edgard Varese

That article is definitely worth reading. :righton:

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, despite the quote I posted, Isaacs seemed to hint at the possibility that Prime Lorca is still alive later in the article.

24. budwhite

I wonder how long this story arch will continue. Is this Star Trek series going to explore any new worlds?

25. budwhite

I'm enjoying this series but it's much more Star Wars than Trek.
    It's very dark and violent and almost without any hope. I hope things get brighter once they defeat the Klingon Empire