Moody Blues - What is the best of the "best ofs"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trashman, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Necessary comps for fans:

This Is The Moody Blues
    Prelude

Wide-ranging comp:

Greatest Hits + More

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree. I have this one, great selection ande the sound is good.

3. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Sorry for this out of topic post, but I have nowhere else to post this. I just checked amazon UK and those fans who couldn't get the Polydor Years Box Set because it was expensive or something, I just found it for around $40.00-45.00 shipped to the US, depending on which of the three sellers you buy from. Only four copies left, by the way seller Amore DVD doesn't ship outside the UK, so there are just four copies left. I would buy it myself in a heartbeat but I already have and as a Moodies super fan I absolutely love it to this day! Jump in...

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: The Polydor Years

Again, sorry for posting this here, but the Polydor box set thread is closed for some reason. Cheers!

4. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

The Polydor Years CD set includes on disc two a 1986 live concert disc recorded at the Blossom Centre, Cleveland (featuring Patrick Moraz on keyboards) during TOSOL tour, it's worth grabbing for that !

the booklet is a bit misleading tho' - those pics are NOT the original 1978 'Octave' photo sessions as claimed but presumably a 're-posed' later effort - just check out the different clothing some are wearing - plus Graeme was NOT wearing his specs in the actual 1978 'Octave' pics ! (and in these later photos he is...)

they claim a pic of Mike Pinder was 'later photoshopped in' (to imply Mike had already left the group by the time of the 'Octave' photo session) - not true as one original 'Octave' session photo (used by Decca in a promotional leaflet I have) has Mike there in person positioned in the middle of the front row line up...!

more history re-writing I'm afraid...

Jupitermadcat and Hep Alien like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I took my son to the 50th Anv. Days of Future Past tour

they didn't have enough of the early songs from other albums

unfortunately the first set was 60% 80s

I was going to send him cds

There is a 2004 and 2017 remaster of This is the Moody Blues

https://www.amazon.com/This-Moody-B...84&sr=8-1&keywords=this+is+the+moody+blues+cd

https://www.amazon.com/This-Moody-B...84&sr=8-3&keywords=this+is+the+moody+blues+cd

any thoughts? is the remaster too hot?

also what is the best cd of Days?

Probably send that too

6. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

the latest release - the 50th Anniversary 2CD set gives you the original 1967 stereo version on one CD (restored for the first time on CD) and the later 'remastered' version - which differs a bit - on the second CD plus 'bonus' tracks on each disc in decent quality sound so I would go for that

audiotom likes this.
  7. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

The opening post stated that the early 70's was the "cut off" date he wanted.

8. The OP stated he wanted a collection "that collects their best 60s and early 70s material", he doesn't say he necessarily has a cut-off point or want to exclude later material.

9. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Thank you - just what I was looking for - might even double dip for myself

I have This is on vinyl and I think one of the newer remasters

If I recall there was one set of the Sacred Seven (my interest) that was poorly mastered
    so trying to avoid that in sending a This is the Moody Blues to my son

Thanks

10. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I like the 1 disc "Songs In White Satin" with 19 tracks. It is on the Threshold label and pressed in West Germany in 1989. It says mastered by Hans Brethouwer on the back insert. Love the song selection and the mastering.

11. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I've owned several. This is the one I've kept. Seventeen songs including "Go Now" which is often MIA.

[​IMG]

ARK, CybrKhatru and btomarra like this.
  12. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

I have 2 version of Voices In The Sky on CD. One has 12 tracks, the other has 10.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  13. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

I believe you want the WG for better SQ. Not sure about track counts. This goes back a ways.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I like this one from 1989. Currenty spinning....

[​IMG]

15. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

Hey gang,
    What is the best vinyl pressing of "This is the Moody Blues"? I searched but could not find a definitive answer...
    Thank you!

16. BruceEder

BruceEder Forum Resident

I would say that TIME TRAVELER with the bonus disc or THIS IS. However, for one of the more interesting compilations, you might try one simply called "Blue," which is easier to find in England than here -- it's not exactly a best-of, but a kind of "best of the rest," built around good album cuts that turned up on FM radio in the late 1960s and early 1970s, albeit not as often as the best-known of their songs off the "classic seven" albums.

Hep Alien and Gardo like this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I've heard only good reports of "This Is the Moody Blues", though I don't have it - I have half a dozen of their albums proper so I feel I can do without it.
    Also my CD of A Question of Balance has the full version of "Question" as a "bonus track", so I don't need to get "This Is" to have that.

Not on your list is "Eternity In an Hour", a compilation that I have been told to avoid.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

If your CD is the 2006 A Question of Balance, the Question bonus track isn't the actual single version. To get that, you have to get Voices In The Sky or another compilation the name of which I forget. (Needless to say, I did, as I always preferred the less bombastic single.:))

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Thanks for that clarification. My CD has two versions, one of which is (obviously) the original album version, and the other is slightly longer, with a longer intro. I have never known which of them, if either, was the single version.

NumberEight likes this.
  20. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Neither.

21. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Picked up an AAD CD version of This Is The Moody Blues. Sublime. Great comp.

ronbow and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

23. Jupitermadcat

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

OP was looking for good SQ :winkgrin:

25. Jupitermadcat

Love both.

Thread Status: