40th anniversary of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

I was 10 years old when this came out,it just seem to come out of nowhere and there has been nothing like it since.Unbelievable that this song and album was written and performed by a teenager.

basie-fan and bluemooze like this.
  2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I was 17 and heard Wuthering Heights exactly once on the radio. That was it, I was her fan. I spent two months waiting for this album to come out. I brought it home and wore it out. So happy.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

About five years ago I found a demo copy of Wuthering Heights with the rare picture sleeve in a charity shop. I was ecstatic! I love Kite on the B-side and the whole The Kick Inside album too. My fave Kate. I also have The Man With The Child In His Eyes picture sleeve.

4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Here's something some of you may enjoy...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Kate Bush Catalog would be Awesome if presented in the Deluxe Book Box Set with Steven Wilson Remixes for 5.1, although, sadly, since she did not Tour for 35 Years(most of her career), there would not be much to add for Live/Concert Songs like was available for the Jethro Tull Deluxe Book Box Sets. Although, it would be great to the same Extensive Book Treatment(with lots of Photos from each Album's Time Period) for all of her albums.

I read that Steven Wilson is interested to Remix her Albums(and perfect timing now that he has moved on to a few 1980s Music Artists), but she does not seem interested to have him Remix her Albums in 5.1 & Stereo. I wonder if a good strategy would be if Steven Wilson could convince her Son(Bertie), to try and get Kate interested. I would want the Deluxe Book Box Sets(like SW did for Jethro Tull) and not the smaller sets done for XTC, King Crimson, etc.

I am also holding out hope for a Blu-Ray(with 5.1 option included) for 'Before the Dawn' to provide most of us the opportunity to see one of the actual shows she performed. I understand her idea to leave it to our imagination while listening to the Music on CD & Vinyl, but I would think that most Fans would make a BluRay of 'BTD' an automatic 'Buy'.

I have the same wishes for SW to do the same Deluxe Book Box Sets for Peter Gabriel.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    agn likes this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'd definitely be in for box sets up to The Red Shoes. I've no interest after that. There are tons of demo recordings that could be released, easily enough to fill a couple CD's for a Kick Inside box.

The thing is a) Kate doesn't seem interested; b) The albums certainly don't need a remaster (current versions sound great).

Like many others, those earlier albums were a big part of our growing up, and mean an awful lot to us.

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I mentioned Steven Wilson, as he does Remixes, not Remasters, as agree on current Mastering on CD is good, as even 'Aerial' has good DR#(and think the same for '50 Words for Snow') in the Loudness Wars era. Although, SH/KG did Remaster the Vinyl for 'Hounds of Love' & 'The Sensual World'. Now whether one would like any potential Steven Wilson Remixes over the original is another question, but overall the fans of XTC, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Chicago and Yes seem to like his Remixes at least as an alternative version and getting the albums on 5.1.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

If you want to read a biography of Kate, the only one worth reading is Graeme Thomson's Under The Ivy. In it's third edition, it is as through as any biographer can make (with the caveat that Kate has never cooperated with anyone writing one, and never delivered the one she was contracted to write herself.) Graeme's book is fascinating and beautifully written, and I've only found a single error.

9. Chris DeVoe

The Kate fanzine Homeground did a very long interview with her engineer/bassist/ex-boyfriend Del Palmer and asked a bunch of questions from fans - and mine was about 5.1 remixes of the albums. He indicated that Kate wasn't interested in them.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

That's a shame.

I honestly believe Kate is underrated as a producer / engineer. The music is one thing, but she nails the tone and always has - the shape of the music is so often exquisite and controlled to be absolutely right.

I'll have to remain curious what she can add again. But the originals lack nothing. So more of an idle dream :)

She was and remains a visionary. And speaking more personally, in this age of DIY production... One hell of an example of doing it your way (while remaining eminently lovable!)

11. Chris DeVoe

I asked Elliot Scheiner, and he described Hounds of Love as his "dream project", and I'm sure Wilson would do an incredible job. But Kate has a level of artistic control that few have, and nobody is getting their hands on her multitracks unless she thinks it's a good idea.

If DVD-Audio or SACD had been very successful the first time, she might have been motivated to release surround mixes at the time. Any 5.1 mixes would have to be done with her full cooperation, and I doubt that will happen.

Kate once described herself as "the nicest megalomaniac you'll ever meet" - and if she isn't interested, it's not going to happen.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Moshe and ToneLa like this.
  12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

That's why.A very strange song as far as I'm concerned.

13. Chris DeVoe

The question will always remain - could Wuthering Heights have been a hit in the US if Kate had been willing to promote it to the same extent as she did in the rest of the world? She only did SNL and the "White Dress" video appeared on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. That was it.

14. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I going to say no.Too far off the beaten path.

15. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

"Kate in a crate!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Randoms, Andrewb and tin ears like this.
  16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

ah yes, the dirty sock shoot.

agn likes this.
  17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I caught the rerun of her episode of SNL and I don't think she even did Wuthering Heights (unless there were three songs and I didn't see it)... it was Man With The Child In His Eyes and Them Heavy People. Someone must have thought the literary aspect would turn off Americans.
    What I thought was interesting though, was that Gilda Radner's infamous Patti Smith spoof was featured in that very show. An interesting contrast of two unique female singers at the time.

18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Kate Bush Wuthering Day - Melbourne - 15th July 2017

Randoms and Andrewb like this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Typically Kate isn't doing anything with new releases to commemorate this 40th Anniversary. Perhaps an audiophile pressing of The Kick inside at least is due? I did expect more reissues on vinyl after AF did The Hounds Of Love and The Sensual World.

20. clinikillz

clinikillz Forum Resident

Brilliant, brilliant song. One of my all-time favorites, no doubt. Kate Bush rules.

Moshe and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Whenever I hear Wuthering Heights it takes me straight back to 1978, but strangely it just hasn’t dated at all. It is just so original and different to anything released before or after.
    A totally unique and timeless single, I never tire of hearing it.

Randoms, basie-fan, tin ears and 4 others like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

23. Chris DeVoe

Randoms and longdist01 like this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

What's the story on this program appearance while Kate was in Japan.

Randoms likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

At that point, Kate did not have the full and absolute control over the direction of her career that she would eventually gain when EMI executive Bob Mercer let her tear up her original contract and negotiate brand new one that gave her an unprecedented level of control.

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.