What was, in your opinion, the last truly great album released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by garrincha, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

That'd certainly be one of my picks.

2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Exactly. We all have parameters, and none of us have a monopoly on liking or not liking music. We all enjoy what we enjoy. It's quality of enjoyment not quantity. I could care less if someone has 3 truly great albums on their list, or 3000. I like that they have them to begin with, and I like that they are passionate and sincere about them. Seems perfectly logical to me.

Again, the whole "music is sports" mentality baffles me. What's the exact number of artists or "great albums" one must accumulate to make it as a member of this Hall Of Fame? Are we now going to have posts about someone not being a "real" food lover because they most prefer Italian, Japanese, and Seafood, but haven't liked other cuisines they've tried in the same way? It seems to me we could all care less about our tastes in foods. Why is music an art form that we all have to conform to via some approved quantity or formula? :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    yogi.nasser, danasgoodstuff and Tord like this.
  3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

On December 1st of last year:

[​IMG]

U2 - "Songs Of Experience"

4. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Seems there is lots of contemporary relevant music I really enjoy and listen to...but when I think about them and compare it to greatness from the past, they fall short.

I just (for the most part) dont think today’s rock has what a lot of the past had. The energy, party good time feel is sorta lost in today’s rock.

Yesterday’s Vanhalen makes you wanna have a good beer, laugh with friends and bed your wife.. Todays music either makes you want to fight someone or kill yourself.

And some of the crap that’s put under the umbrella of rock today...seriously, Its club music for drunk lost 13 year olds... and they shouldn’t be drinking.

yogi.nasser likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Seems you must've missed a lot of today's best music, listening to Jane Weaver's Modern Kosmology from last year right now, and have no desire to kill myself, just makes me feel good.

6. Funky54

I’m sure there is lots of good music today. I was really stating my opinion of mainstream “rock” today. I’ll have to check out Weaver, unknown to me. I’m into Rival Sons, Wolfmother, Geta Van fleet, Blue Pills, Leon Bridges, JJ Grey, Gas light Anthem, Houndmouth, No Sinner, Young the Giant, Temperance, Joss Stone, Vintage Trouble... all great “today” stuff.

Davey likes this.
  7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm a die hard, stuck-in-my-ways music snob, but last year was one of the best years for new music that I've seen. But let's not get crazy-that was only about 10 albums. But it gives me hope that I can move on from the past, or at least leave it for a little while.

keyse1 likes this.
  8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I agree with the first paragraph.

While music is forever evolving in its own way, and you can have favorite albums on their own terms (or favorites relative to other modern albums), I don't personally find any of them to be on a level that I would put "Pet Sounds" on. Or "Going To A Go-Go". Or "What's Going On". Or "Led Zeppelin II". Which is perfectly okay by me. I also don't expect, or even want, films of today using glorious three-strip technicolor. The original technicolor films, or noirs, or Citizen Kanes of the world have already been done. You don't "better them", nor need to re-create the wheel. You just do what you can in your time, maybe set your own precedents, and "maybe" a half century later, a few of those things will endure or be as beloved as the greats of the past. But why would I start calling new albums "classics" or truly great, or putting a burden on them that makes them have to compete with landmarks of the past century when all I'm really trying to do is simply enjoy them for what they are? :)

9. Davey

Yea, I don't know why anyone here cares much about mainstream rock, there is so much exciting music on the fringes that harkens back to the days of old, whether it be Jane Weaver or Joan Shelley or Lake Ruth or The Limiñanas or a hundred other bands, way more than most of us could hope to absorb. It really can be the best of times.

10. Funky54

That’s generally my attitude..but the thread title requests an opinion. If you form an opinion you have to consider... I considered and shared my findings.

11. Funky54

Whats sad, whats lost, is the bond music use to bring. Now its so scattered and separate that everyone is somewhere else. Thats in truth why “most” people put music in the back ground. Its less important. Its less a part of culture or its ties in pop culture. I miss living where and when lots of people I knew liked similar bands to me. Now a group of friends gets together and nobody has heard of the others musical tastes.. conversation ends.

keyse1 and Aphoristical like this.
  12. Davey

Well, that's a description for many of us going back to our early formative years, and a big reason we come to music boards like this, and spend so much time. There are a lot of people here with unique music tastes, and extreme depths of knowledge, and I love it. Conversation is just beginning.

the pope ondine likes this.
  13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I'd agree with this

SirMarc likes this.
  14. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

PJ Harvey's Let England Shake was probably the last one that really struck me hard, assuming that 'truly great' is more than just liking/loving an album.

joleary59, Binni, mr_spenalzo and 3 others like this.
  15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Danzig, Black Laden Crown, 2017

16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I can't remember.

17. Davey

Can it be truly great if no one hears it, the performance of a lifetime ...

dormouse and Arknine like this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I dig it :edthumbs:

19. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I tend to believe this is a golden era for music, never have we had such a diverse talented group of people catering to more niches than this very moment. A “great album” is coming out next Friday, Freedom’s Goblin by Ty Segall. Great in the sense that I loved it, will probably buy it, and play it many times.

As for albums that really moved the needle, so-called modern classics? I think To Pimp a Butterfly was great, possibly the only album to really challenge the reigning champ of this decade My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I also think Visions - Grimes, Hopelessness, Anohni, and Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming - m83, Too Bright - Perfume Genius will have real staying power. Honestly too many to reaclll off the top of my head but there seems to be a truly great album yearly.

dammitjanet likes this.
  20. oh so true.......:tiphat:

zombiemodernist likes this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I apologize for the way I made my remarks last night. I was completely drunk. I stand by what I said, but probably should've put my opinions in a more tactful manner. There's a lot of GREAT music out there. Especially recently. I just wish people would seek it out and enjoy.

troggy likes this.
  22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Small world. A mate of mine is on this.

the pope ondine and Davey like this.
  23. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Steven Wilson - To the Bone

24. Davey

It's a really good record, only discovered it a couple weeks ago, but hope they are able to keep making music, very talented group... it did get a nice review at The Quietus and made it onto their best of the year list, which is where I made the connection, the Quietus list is always a treasure trove ... The Quietus | Features | The Lead Review | The Performance Of A Lifetime: The Granite Shore's Suspended Second

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  25. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

As much as I love vinyl, the proper way to watch Night Thoughts is actually on the DVD... with the accompanying film. It's incredible that way... gives it real context.