What was, in your opinion, the last truly great album released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by garrincha, Jan 19, 2018.

1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

2. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

Not bad. This is certainly the last, best recent thing I heard.

3. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I just listened to Childish Gambino's "Awaken, My Love!" and thought it was great. It's definitely the best R&B album I've heard in a while.

4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

That Jake Xerxes Fussell record is really really great. It's in my top 10 of 2017 easily

Davey likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

How many reallys does it take to equal a truly? Just kidding, I gave that one a couple listens, mainly because I'm a big Joan Shelley fan and she sings on the last song, but didn't quite connect, probably need to revisit this one, it's got all the makings for something I'd love, maybe just don't like his voice, not quite sure. Paradise of Bachelors puts out some good stuff, love the Wooden Wand record from last year too, some connections to the same extended group of artists, though music is quite different and I just realized it's on Three Lobed. Some of the same musicians as on Joan Shelley's latest.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

For sure a truly great album!!! But you know, with the passage of time I've come round to spending a lot of time with hope six demolition...

Reesdog and Dominic jefferson like this.
  7. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

It is not sad, it is what it is. I don't think The War On Drugs or "American Idiot"are that great, what can I do. They're not bad at all, but not that great.

If I Can Dream_23 and sonci like this.
  8. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Ok it's really really truly great! It does connect with me on many levels. I love his first record as well.

His voice ... I like it now. It might have taken a few listens to settle in w me but the guitar playing! I sometimes find myself second guessing the guitar player but every choice he makes sits well w me.

Davey likes this.
  9. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Hand Cannot Erase - Steven Wilson 2015 (another shout for this superb album)

[​IMG]

Catcher10, Rne, papatwo and 1 other person like this.
  10. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Yep, my vote too. If a truly great album is one you keep buying copies of to give to others (who subsequently play it to death), then this is the one.

11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I just got this record. Gave it a spin and WoW. The thrash galloping sounds are on point. The lyrics are great and even motivating. Really great album.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Anything by Shearwater. Magical stuff.

fitzrik likes this.
  13. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

Just listened my way through 20 pages, some interesting recommendations so far. My pick for the last great album is An Awesome Wave by Alt-J. On a more personal level (but great to me) is Sleeping Operator by the Barr Brothers.

I'm hoping for something new to give me that special embrace soon! It might be out there and take a few listens over a number of years to get me though. It's not always the ones that burn the brightest which burn the longest...

14. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Hurray for the Riff Raff - "The Navigator"

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the producers - made in basing street

16. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Lorde - Melodrama (2017)

[​IMG]

Dominic jefferson and lbangs like this.
  17. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

D Generation - Through The Darkness (1999)
    There are others, but this one jumps to mind as been recently listening to it, also to note is the sound quality of the production by Tony Visconti, you can really hear the dynamics and levels between drums, bass, guitar and vocals and being it was released in 1999 a lot dynamics were being lost in mastering or production. This album sounds amazing and the music/songs are great. This album is as good as anything the 80's "rock" had to offer up, seriously. IMO of course.
    A great listen!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  18. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Chinese Democracy

19. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I haven't heard it yet. Are you a fan of under the cork tree and infinity on high by chance? I love those two albums but haven't bothered since.

20. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Love both of those albums, yes. Most of FOB's output has been good, aside from a misstep track here and there. They were a very different band back then from what they're doing now, but if you love those albums I would definitely give their three most recent releases a try (Save Rock and Roll, American Beauty/American Psycho, and MANIA).

Crimson jon likes this.
  21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Good to see another fan on this type of forum geared towards classic rock and jazz fusion. They have great melodies and just flat out rock. Even my own brothers mock me for spinning the first three CD which have Dr value of like a 5 on regular basis. I like what I like so i will definitely check the latest few albums put out.

22. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Exactly.

What would be "sad" is pretending an album is great or "classic" when you don't enjoy it (or only modestly enjoy it).

It's funny, people like to blame the listeners, but the burden is on artists to make albums that listeners may fall in love with. Not for the listener to claim they love them when they really don't. I don't know of anyone on Earth who would listen to an album, find it great, and go out of their way to say it's not great. One thing no listener can have too many of is great albums! Why would they ever shy away from saying a particular new album (or an old album, for that matter) is great?

And all this from someone who doesn't really despise any album, and always gives every album the benefit of the doubt. But, simply put, I hear very few albums today that move me in the same enormous way as past classics. But I'm always open to listening... :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    mozz and Musicisthebest like this.
  23. joleary59

joleary59 New Member

So many great albums, really tough to narrow it down, but these two definitely qualify imho.

Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
    [​IMG]

Björk - Vulnicura
    [​IMG]

24. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Current radio earworm, Fatboy Slim "Praise You", thanks to WERS!
    Last great albums:
    Within the last month, Glen Hansard "Between Two Shores".
    Within the last year, Micheal Kiwanuka "Love & Hate".
    Great finds within the last few years (never to be bettered IMHO):
    The Frames: Fitzcarraldo.
    Jellyfish: Spilt Milk.
    Sainte Ettienne: Good Humor.
    Stereolab: Margerine Eclipse.
    Waterboys: Fisherman's Box.
    Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots.
    Boo Radleys: Wake Up.

fitzrik and Stone Turntable like this.
  25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

As pointed out in other threads like this, if you think the last great album to come out was 20, 30, 40, or even 50 years ago, you're not a music fan. You just like a couple bands.