CBS gives “Murphy Brown” revival a 13-episode order; Candice Bergen, creator Diane English to return

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Originals? Nah it's TV, they'll figure something out.

Remember, Mr Wilson and Bub were suddenly gone, Darrin Stephens was replaced with another Darrin Stephens and Chuck Cunningham just disappeared.:)

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't know she had a stroke (just looked it up and it was in 2006). She seems fine here from a few months ago so it seems she recovered. I agree that this is more of a gamble than something like Will & Grace and Roseanne though. I assume this may work if they get really political.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Used to watch the show a lot.

Give it a try.

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Murphy Brown? I think the show was great in its early seasons, by the time it got to Scott Bakula's character and that travesty named McGovern, it was done...

5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Loved the show, loved the characters. Jumped the shark at the Potatoe episode, but up until then it was one of the best comedies on television.

Would love to see the original cast reunited. Haley Joel Osment could return to play Murphy's 26-year-old son!

6. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Hasn't a Waking Dead comedy spoof already been done? Gotta admit, with his broad smile Dick Van Dyke would make a mighty scary lookin' zombie! :yikes:

:cheers:
    Cat

7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

We definitely need more political shows on TV.

Jimmy B., jriems and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The climate of TV shows has also changed since many of these shows first aired and are now revived. Thanks to cable, they are not obligated to churn out 24 episodes a season, and can now put out only 10 episodes, and possibly make 10 better episodes than have to squeeze out a lot of filler in between.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Will she sing?

10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'd almost want to see a West Wing reboot, but term limits would keep President Bartlett out of the Oval Office. Plus, it wouldn't be the same without Leo McGarry.

Atmospheric and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. swandown

Sneak preview:

12. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Good grief Charley Brown,do we REALLY need another REBOOT?????

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That's all TV is now. Nothing but reboots, rehashes, and remakes.

Just remember those three words.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There are hundreds of original TV series being made right now -- far more than ever, and far more than even the laziest couch potato can keep up with.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Oops. :(

Maybe I was thinking of movies.

16. swandown

Yeah, but they're all either medical dramas or police procedurals. :D

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

On CBS, maybe.

18. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

What about 60 Minutes and 20/20?

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Hasn’t 20/20 devolved into a “murder of the week” show like Dateline?

20. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Very good show for the first two or three years, after that, I totally lost interest. I'm really not interested in a re-boot.

Solaris likes this.
  21. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I never liked this show. What's more I used to avoid most of the prime time programming on CBS like the plague. Oddly enough now I watch more CBS programming than all the other networks combined.

I can't tell you exactly what has changed. Without trying to sound sexist, I think many of the old CBS shows appealed more to women than me. Now all of my favorite network shows are on CBS. I really think it changed for me about the time that Letterman switched to CBS.

22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Classy. Just wait until YOU get old. But you won't be a successful or as cool as Dick Van Dyke.

23. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Lucy came back doing the same things she had done 35 years before. Problem was that viewers were more familiar with the routines than she was, having seen them tons of times in reruns. Plus seeing an 80-year old woman falling or almost falling isn't funny, its terrifying. MB is a sophisticated and well written comedy, not slapstick.

24. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Next Step Beyond, It's A Living, 9 to 5, Too Close For Comfort, The Bradys, We Got It Made, Outer Limits, The Paper Chase. Lots more.

AKA likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Mary Tyler Moore made it clear to the producer that she would only do the one reunion and that was it. I think all the others would have gone for it.

The writers and producers actually tried very hard to do new things with Life with Lucy, but unfortunately Miss Ball and her husband, producer Gary Morton, insisted that they do all the same shtick she had done in her early 1970s show. By the time they figured out that wasn't working, the show got cancelled. Lucy was about 75 when she did this show, and was actually in reasonable shape, but they hired comedy actor Donovan Scott to do all the pratfalls -- including falling down ladders, stairs, onto sidewalks, hit with doors, the works. The insurance wouldn't cover anything "strenuous" for the actress. Not a fun show to work on for anybody.

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.