CD Player Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RhodyDave125, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm new here, so if this is not something I should be posting here please forgive me.

I recently got rid of all my audio equipment (except the speakers) and have stated from scratch. Currently I have a U-Turn Orbit Plus as my only source of listening. I'm looking for a good CD player that is in the same general price range as my turntable.

I've done a fair amount of looking online at different sites, and really don't want to spend upwards of $1000 USD on a player. If you have a recommendation or thoughts I'd be grateful. Thanks.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Get an Onkyo C-7030 Refurb from Accessories 4 Less. Only buy a refurb, Amazon got a bad batch, not sure if it extends to other retailers also. Refurb comes with a warranty.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I would get a Tascam CD-200 and later on down the road get an external DAC to go with it.

Robert C and gd0 like this.
  4. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I bought a Yamaha S300 two or three months ago and I am very pleased with it. Great sound you can also play an iPod or memory stick through it. I don't have a turntable to compare with it, but I have several other CD players and this one beats them all.

5. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

as Devo said...

Just Rip it
    Rip it!
    Into Shape

Manimal and punkmusick like this.
  6. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Marantz CD6006.

Dan Steele likes this.
  7. RhodyDave125

Thanks, I've seen good things about this, and the price at Acessories 4 Less is excellent.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Get a Blu-ray player from some reputable manufacturer and connect it to an external DAC with Toslink. Otherwise, just rip to computer or streamer.

Helom likes this.
  9. RhodyDave125

Why a blu-ray and connect as you suggest, instead of going with a CD player connected to my amp? As for the ripping, I don't want to bother with the hassle - I want to listen to my CDs.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  10. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Checkout Rega and/or Rotel.

11. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I like the entry level NAD’s sound.

12. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I owned a Rega Planet 2000 and replaced it with a Rotel RCD 1072. Both great players.

Wasatch likes this.
  13. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

get an Oppo which will also serve as a media source if you decide to go the wireless route.

Ponzio likes this.
  14. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Blu-Ray players have very good transports and are cheap. Their DAC's are so-so. Most of them have Toslink out. You could run that into a Shiit Modi 2 Uber and blow away an expensive cd player while spending under $250.

basie-fan, ls35a and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

It appears that the Onkyo C-7030 is sold out on the Accessories4Less website. Not sure if a new batch would be refurbs or not.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Shoot them and email and ask. They were pretty responsive when I dealt with them. The one I bought several months back was clearly marked as a refurb on the site and on the unit itself.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have a Modi 2 Uber. As a basic DAC it is very good. I've toggled back and forth between the internal DAC in my Onkyo and the Modi connected via Coax and the difference between the two is minor. Most of the time I will simply listen to the internal Onkyo DAC because it means I don't have to turn on the Modi. At some point I might try the Modi Multibit and see if the differences are more readily apparent.

18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Within the OP’s criteria, I’d probably take a look at the current Marantz CD player. It will blow away anything at three times the price. Or maybe not.

Robert C likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hankering for a new CD player ( used) No Nad, Blu Ray player or sacd player.
    Naim and Meridian are the top two on my list.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Seconded! And a great price too!

fogalu likes this.
  21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

22. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I recently purchased a used Naim CD-X2 that's absolutely awesome. I bought it with the idea that my ModWright OPPO has been doing so much of the heavy lifting with BD, SACD, DVD & CD that over time something will wear out requiring time consuming repair. The more I thought about it the better a good high end back-up CD player sounded.

Based on my research and personal experience trying to acquire a mid to high end Naim player, a good ballpark used price for a working or refurbed Naim CDX2 is between 2 & 3k. If you can get one for less than that, my suggestion would be to jump on it (these get snapped up pretty quickly).

The one other thing I'd recommend if purchasing this Naim player ...as it has a Burndy cable connection for an optional outboard power supply... is the TeddyXPS (alternative to Naim XPS). Note: The XPS power supply needs to be plugged directly into the mains (wall socket) to power the CD player, a power strip or surge protector is inadequate.

Without an XPS power supply, the Naim player is good, but may not seem exceptional for the price in some systems. That said, the jump in sound quality with an XPS isn't subtle. It turns a good high end player into a world class, tough to beat at any price player. BTW, the Teddy Pardo power supply will only set you back another 1K and change, much less than the Naim branded XPS (pun intended).

Hope this data dump is useful. :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

Alan2 and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

Looks like NiAM is the way to go, as Meridian replacement laser ( Philips ) are no longer made, of course Naim is better anyway. Thx for the suggestion.
    Information is always welcome.

24. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I had the yammy s300. It sounded really good, airy and had a stadium like sound to it.
    But I had issues with not play8ng some CDs. Maybe try the onkyo as it’s a good price.

I am currently looking at a rotel cd14 but unsure of reliability.
    Trying to get warranty stuff is like getting blood from a stone with any mfgr.

Socalguy likes this.
  25. alexpop

Prices for used players must be falling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.