May I show-off my new website, for those who know (and know of) me? Audio Note at The Audio Home..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

I hope you will enjoy better health soon, and be able to enjoy all your beautiful hobbies.

2. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I thought I had too many motorcycles and I only have two: One is a 1990 BMW GS100 Paris Dakar (dual purpose desert bike). The other is a 2000 MV Agusta F4S. Pics to follow.

3. lonelysea

4. lonelysea

5. lonelysea

The BMW I bought new in '89 and was the only transportation my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I had at the time. Travelled all over the Northeast (including Nova Scotia). 30,000 miles on it.
    The Italian bike I got as a wedding present and it scares the crap out of me - not really a sport bike guy. Too small and fast (the bike, not me)...
    Love dual purpose bikes.

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

Wow, beautiful bikes. Mine is just a big Japanese bike. Not particularly beautiful, just heavy, fast, smooth, quiet and comfortable. I took one long trip on it, from California through the national parks in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico, camping along the way. That fulfilled a lifelong dream. Then, soon after that trip, I got my heart surgery, and haven't been able to ride for more than about 2 hours at a time.

Steve lives about 1-1/2 hours from me, so it's really good to go visit him (if I am not transporting audio gear).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Warren I used to spend a lot of time in Baja attending SCORE races. With all your dirt bikes, did you go down there much?

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Makes me nervous just looking at the pic of this machine. You're still alive so this may not need be said. I'll say it anyway, ride safe my friend.

lonelysea likes this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Is this a thread about motorcycles? Okay, here we go.... my oldie, built 2012. At least... I can drive 184 mph here... without a ticket.
    [​IMG]

Warren Jarrett and lonelysea like this.
  10. Warren Jarrett

No, I've gone mostly north, to the Mohave desert and Gorman. My favorite place for riding is Jawbone. Just 100s of miles of open desert in all directions with unlimited camping and vastly varying terrain.

Gorman is much smaller, but beautiful, with big hill-climbs, pine tree lined mountain trails, and open desert.

I have a Husaberg 501, Husqvarna 420, and KTM 200, among others. All desert bikes and dual sports, no MX.

lonelysea and bajaed like this.
  11. Warren Jarrett

Nearing the end of my one long trip through the national parks, I maintained a consistent 130 to 150 mph from the Grand Canyon to Barstow, rewarded with a little known Indian-food truck stop/gas station near Barstow. Apparently, all Indian truck drivers go out-of-their way to stop there whenever passing through NV/CA.

SandAndGlass and lonelysea like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Wow.... that's cool. What is the fine in CA, when I drive 30 mph faster on the highway or interstate? ;)

13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I hope you feel better soon Warren and your health improves.

14. Warren Jarrett

Heck with the fine, the real problems are immediate arrest, manditory jail time, and 1 year licence restriction. That's why, for me, it was a one-time speed adventure, not to be repeated. And climaxed by my Indian food lunch advenure in Barstow.

After that I decided it is a lot more fun to go 60 to 80 mph across the desert than it is to go 130 to 150 mph on pavement. So it is just not worth the risks.

But the good news about driving a motorcycle fast in CA is that we are legally allowed to split traffic lanes, and most drivers respect us doing so.

15. Warren Jarrett

The audio equivalent (for me) is:

It's a lot more fun to hear an LP through 6 wpc SET amplifiers and AN/E-HE 2-way speakers, than a CD through a high-power solid-state amp and massive, complex crossovered, multi-driver speakers.

-------> Which leads me to invite all again. After I am out of this hospital, please, anyone (everyone), come visit and enjoy music with me at The Audio Home. <-------

WriteFace and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. marka

marka Forum Resident

OK, if you insist...

17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

How are you doing, Warren? Still in hospital?

18. Warren Jarrett

I am out of the hospital. I am at home and feeling much better than a week ago. My test results came back this morning, and the doctors said nothing is serious, so I am fine. The least severe of all possible explanations for my discomfort came back as the actual problems I have.

First, I already knew that since my open-heart surgery, 2 years ago, fluid accumulated around the outside of my lungs and this causes a restriction for my lungs to fully expand. The result is that I get tired and winded too easily. They confirmed this again, but have no answer yet how it can be solved, without extremely severe surgery. The hospital doctors will have some big meeting next week, and my doctor will discuss options there with all of them. Then he'll meet with me again in about two weeks.

Second, they found a problem that I knew nothing about, until they ran an endoscope down my esophagus. I have a "striction" in my esophagus, which means a narrow place. Food has been getting caught there sometimes, for many years, so I actually knew about that. What I didn't know (the new problem) is that at that striction, a leason, or ulcer, has appeared right on the inside of the narrowest place, where food scrapes-by as it goes down. That started to bleed, and my red blood cell count went way down to 4.4, instead of a normal 10 to 15. Anything lower than 8 is considered dangerous. At 4.4, I was feeling mighty bad. They got my red blood count back up, stopped the blood from flowing, and prescribed medicine to promote healing. In a few weeks, when the ulcer has partially healed, they can go back and make it scrape-proof (somehow).

Thank you everybody, for accepting that this thread is as much about my personal life, as it is about my audio preferences and The Audio Home. I appreciate all of your warm sentiments, in the posts and private messages I received from many of you. Above all, I appreciate how busy this SH.tv forum kept me, burning-up some of the threads with my opinions, advice, explanations and arguments. I loved every single moment of sitting next to my hospital bed, looking for the next discussion to get involved in. I felt a little guilty that I was having so much fun in the hospital, participating here, while others near me were not feeling as will as I was. But, I also felt very lucky to have all of you as my virtual company.

I strongly suggest to any of you, who get stuck in a place where there is not much to do: bring your laptop or Smart Phone, and start answering threads here, on SH.tv. It steam-rolls into quite a distracting activity -- a LOT better than watching television, flirting with the nurses, and waiting for the next blood pressure reading.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Warren when I finally make it out for a visit to The Audio Home, feel free to invite some of those nurses over for a listening session!

SandAndGlass and Warren Jarrett like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad you're home!

SandAndGlass and Rolltide like this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good to see you have not lost your sense of humour.

22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Warren,
    Some how I missed this thread (which is unusual because I always read your threads). I spent all morning reading each post. I am glad you are home and hope your recovery continues. I like your website very much and believes it conveys your way of doing business, which seems to be: 'Stop by and hang out and let's enjoy music, and maybe a little drink. Let's enjoy ourselves and...oh yeah, if you happen to buy something, that would be okay.'

If I ever get to southern CA, I will definitely be there.
    All the best

Warren Jarrett and Rolltide like this.
  23. Warren Jarrett

Wow, thanks for reading this entire thread, start to finish. I think it is a VERY interesting package of history and thoughts, all about me, my opinions and The Audio Home. But then, I am biased, I am very interested in myself. Steve commented that he also thinks it is a unique and very interesting thread.

Now let me go through this quote of yours in detail, and see if I totally agree with it:

'Stop by and hang out and let's enjoy music' -- yep, perfectly my sentiment.

'and maybe a little drink.' -- yep, I offer drinks (not only alcohol) and snacks to my guests.

'Let's enjoy ourselves' -- yep, this is my top priority. I just love music, sound, and audio equipment so much, I like to share what I have with anyone who will come and listen with me. And, as anyone who reads my SH.tv posts know, I love to share my knowledge and experience of choosing/listening to/setting-up/tweeking high-end audio since the mid 1980's... enjoying ALL kinds of music since the mid 1970's.

'and... oh yeah, if you happen to buy something, that would be okay.' -- Oh no, the last word is not quite right. That would be much better than just "okay". I love making Peter Qvortrup happy, which selling something does! Mostly, I sincerely appreciate every purchase, and would like to keep friendship with every buyer: particularly knowing his happiness with any of the Audio Note he owns, following his enjoyment of music through his audio system, and helping to continue and grow his home music listening pleasure.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Raylinds, marka and Joe Spivey like this.
  24. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Wish I still lived in LA. I don't get out there as much and when I do, it's usually with the wife and kids. Next time out, I gotta come to Warren's retreat!

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  25. marka

marka Forum Resident

Your customers appreciate their purchases even more than you. (He said, as he listened to his Oto Sig while replying.)

Warren Jarrett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.