Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Ian McDiarmid really is the best thing about the prequels. My biggest problem with Snoke is that he was a crap holographic villain who wasn't fit to tie Palpatine's shoes. So I'm really glad TLJ killed that mistake off and left us with the emo fit thrower as the big heavy. He's also not fit to tie Palpatine's shoes, but at least his comeuppance will be fun to watch.

bferr1 and David Campbell like this.
  2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Again...

[​IMG]

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don’t think he has a comeuppance coming.

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Saw it again over the weekend. I like The Last Jedi even more than before now. It makes a lot more sense and the execution of the plot points are a lot better the second time around.

dprokopy, Encuentro and bferr1 like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

“The Novelization of The Last Jedi is going to be EXPANDED. Director Rian Johnson himself worked to develop new material for the novel. Deleted scenes, extended scenes, and even brand new material made just for the book. It'll be worth the wait.”
    Star Wars Books

artfromtex likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Now they're just poking the "IF IT'S NOT IN THE MOVIE IT DOESN'T COUNT" crowd with pointy sticks.

I love it. :D

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I always took this to mean that Lando figured if they stayed close to the Destroyers, then the Death Star might accidentally hit some of their own ships in an attempt to hit the Rebel ships flying close to them.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Exactly. The Star Destroyers would block any attack the Death Star attempted to make.

9. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

So, basically TLJ was a 2,5 hour long add for a novel? Now it makes much more sense to me. Hopefully, when I eventually read the novel I will finally understand the plot.

Daniel Plainview and jeroemba like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Maybe in the novel Luke fades back in at the end and is like, "Okay. I'm fine now." Dusts himself off and gets himself a drink.

delmonaco likes this.
  11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Or the whole story was actually a dream that Rian Johnson had when he fell asleep during a Disney/Lucasfilm corporate meeting...;)

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Rey having a dream on the falcon on the way to Luke island. Part IX ends with her landing and handing him the saber again. This time he doesn't toss it and the film is actually GOOD!

delmonaco likes this.
  13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

14. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I keep narfing up his name! Grr. Thanks for the correction.

I agree about Snoke. He was basically Palpatine in Hugh Hefner's bathrobe. I liked Andy Serkis' performance but he was a big nothing burger in TFA and he was only slightly more interesting here. I speculated who he was like everyone else, but to me he was always discount Palpatine. He wasn't fit to wear his cloak. I was curious who he might be, but that's all Snoke was. Just a theory.

The whole point of the character is that he's an arrogant jack ass who gets his. I'm glad our big bad is Ben Solo.

Encuentro and sunspot42 like this.
  15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this.

One thing that is clear is that he is a fan of this franchise. Which is why I laugh at the people on YouTube bitching that the franchise should be in the hands of " true fans". Well, Rian Johnson is a fan of Star Wars. As was JJ Abrams. Someone being a " true Fan" doesn't mean they are going to make a movie they like.

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

18. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

What if Snoke meant this literally, that he foresaw Kylo's actions and it's all part of the Big Plan?

artfromtex likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Because he didn't know how to! Gui-Gon discovered it after he died and he taught it to Obi Wan and Yoda, and somehow Anakin learnt how to do it. The Emperor was never taught it and wasn't even aware of the concept.

21. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Then who would teach Snoke how to do it? ;)

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Maybe no one. Maybe he figures it for himself like Qui-Gon Jinn, who seemed to stumble upon it after death.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Jim B. likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

They'd have to explain it somehow - IIRC it's explicit in the Disney canon that this power can not be learned through the dark side (because it requires selflessness and the dark side is all about exaltation of self.)

Qui-gon did not figure it out himself, he was trained in it by mysterious ancient Force wielders, as explained in a story arc in the (still canon) Clone Wars animated series.

I don't believe that how Anakin figured it out was ever adequately explained.

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Or maybe the Emperor is content with being dead and moved on?

delmonaco and Lownote30 like this.
  25. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

This!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.