Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying my second listen to this CD. The first was a few years ago.

J.A.W. likes this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

3. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Thanks. Really enjoying this. Great read! :)

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

:tiphat:

5. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

[​IMG] great sound, performance; love it

Bubbamike and bruce2 like this.
  6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In the 1980s I attended a concert by the European Youth Orchestra led by Claudio Abbado at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. One of the extras was Ligeti's Ramifications. It made a deep impression on me, wonderful.

royzak2000 likes this.
  9. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

Stereo?

10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This is one of my very favorite recordings of the Beethoven Piano Concerto No.3. Richter and the Vienna SO led by Kurt Sanderling. DG 1966.
    The outer movements are very energetic; I only wish the tempo of the second movement wasn't quite so lethargic. The finale, however, is full of fire and spontaneity. Just brilliant. The Rondo for Piano and Orchestra filler is equally exciting.
    DG's sonics are a bit dated and thin, but I quickly adjust to it and just enjoy the performance. Richter's piano is well recorded and really punches through.

[​IMG]

bruce2, crispi, Rick Robson and 3 others like this.
  12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

13. George P

Sibelius in the winter . . . :love:

royzak2000 likes this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some Rachmaninoff from the above CD. These are strong performances in Great Sound.

16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

What do you think of this recording George? I have it as well and after 2 or 3 listens decided I don't really care for it. I find the sound quality poor and the performance nothing great either. My current favorite Mahler 1, which I listened to twice today, is Boult and the London Philharmonic on Everest from 1958.

crispi and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I wanted to add that I also have Walters Mahler Symphony No.2 with the New York Philharmonic from 1958. It is my favorite version of Mahler's Second Symphony. I find it to have much better sound than the first and an excellent interpretation. My copy is a 2015 Japanese reissue on a single CD of about 80 minutes and it has excellent mastering. I think it is still available on Amazon.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. George P

It rubbed me the wrong way the other day, but I suspect it was the timing.

Mr. Explorer and bruce2 like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying some more Rachmaninoff. I love the pianists energy, but I always felt he was lacking in the tone department. Whether it was the fault of the recording or the pianists fault, I cannot say.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Haha I understand! That's why I gave it a few listens before putting it away into storage!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. George P

:cheers:

I am a big fan of Walter's, so I plan to keep the disc on hand.

bruce2 likes this.
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am a fan as well although I only own a few other recordings by him. His Beethoven's Sixth Symphony is a desert island disc for me. I also have a recording of Schubert Symphonies by him that is excellent. The mono Mahler 1 is the only Walter recording that I don't care for of what I've heard.

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

I went to considerable expense to buy a copy of the Walter/PSONY Mahler 1 as a Japanese import at DC's late, lamented Serenade Records back in the relatively early days of CD, when only the later, stereo CBS SO recording had been released in that format in the United States. I've always been fond of the mono account, much more than of the stereo; I guess a lot depends on one's tolerance for pre-stereo recorded sound.

I know I've mentioned this before, but maybe not since some participants in the present discussion joined the CMC, so: the LP issue of this recording, with the same cover art, is well worth owning even if you don't have a turntable, as its liner notes are unusually good. The record is hardly a rarity; accordingly, a copy shouldn't be hard or expensive to get. I can't speak to the notes in the Heritage reissue, which I've not seen, or in my early Nippon CBS reissue, in which they are printed only in Japanese.

24. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

On another topic, what’s people’s opinions of the RCA Munch/BSO Symphonie Fantastique?

I first fell for this piece live back in high school, and then the first thrift store/estate sale recording I picked up of it was a mono lp of this recording.

It’s still my favorite interpretation today, and while the mono lp doesn’t compare to the SACD version I picked up later, it still is a shockingly powerful, great sounding mix (if only the condition of said lp was better haha. You get what you pay for with 50¢ records!)

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have a few of Santiago's Rach recordings. I like them all.