New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

And then there were five: Pink Floyd briefly existed as a five piece group with Syd Barrett and his friend David Gilmour sharing guitar duties. This image was taken about the time that Saucerful of Secrets was being recorded.[​IMG]

John Bliss and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  2. tables_turning

Another image of the five Floyds, from about the same time.[​IMG]

John Bliss likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Syd's like, "I don't even know these guys." :laugh:

4. tables_turning

The band doing an endorsement for Rotosound strings. The background in the photo appears to be that of Studio Two at Abbey Road. This was probably taken during the Piper sessions in early 1967.[​IMG]

5. tables_turning

The band in the control room toward the end of the sessions for Piper. The studio may be Abbey Road's Studio Three -- if so, then this is the console that Syd used to assist Peter Bown with the final mix. Photo courtesy of Getty Images.[​IMG]

6. tables_turning

Syd Barrett, as many might like to remember him -- ready to start work on Pink Floyd's first album, early 1967.[​IMG]

7. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Certainly not my experience with this reissues, all my mine are quiet without pops and clicks.
    While there are ofcourse differences of opinions on the sound and different preferences for one pressing or another,
    I never read complains about bad pressings and them being full of clicks and surface noise.
    In fact these reissues have been mostly praised here on the forum.
    The first time I read anyone refering them as worst of two world offenders?

8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am done discussing on the SQ and pressings quality of these reissues. The SQ is very good to excellent and there was some reported issues here and there but nothing plaguing the whole catalog aside from DSOT.

Best value for your money if you do not have any vinyl copies of the band or if your precious A/B/1/2/3 pressings are not in a so mint condition. BTW, Bernie Grundman mastering is bringing a fresh sound perspective to these albums. I like to use the word ‘tubey’ sound when speaking about the 2016 campaign sound signature.

9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Cool, but for clarity, Bernie cut the discs, did not Guthrie do most of the mastering duties?

Norco74 and markmck79 like this.
  10. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

guess I was in bad luck then?
    "Animals" was my first buy of the reissue series. I have two german original copies in ex / vg++ state. Was hoping for a clear soundstage in the new reissue. While the sound was ok, too many clicks and pops (even after cleaning) were drawing me back to my original copies.
    "WYWH" I have two old copies, one from germany, one from yugoslavia. both share a side a with some surface noise. the new reissue didnt have this problem, but again - too many clicks and pops on both sides throughout play, plus a strange one dimensional soundspace.
    "Dark Side" The worst offender in terms of vinyl quality - but in terms of sound it just couldnt compete with my other copies: nm Japanese pro use, ex early german pressing, minty 30th anniversary AAA lp.
    That said, all 3 of those reissues seemed to be not so great. Felt unlucky with these products and returned the purchase to my store. Good for other people who enjoy this remaster series - I'll be good with my old vinyl copies and 90s cd reissues.

11. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I received a noisy copy of Animals as well. I had read some people had problems with noise on the side 2 so I listened to it first. My copy (from Amazon Italy) was completely silent on side 2. With a sigh of relief, I played side 1. Half way through Pigs On The Wing pt.1, constant pops and clicks that continued throughout the intro to Dogs. I had to stop the record before the vocals even came in. I cleaned it three times without any success in getting rid of any clicks or pops. That was the first and last reissue I've bought. I will definitely give PULSE a chance if it's released.

12. Onder

Onder Senior Member

This is not Abbey Road's REDD console.
    It's De Lane Lea Studios control room.

Ondra

BDC and BigGame like this.
  13. tables_turning

Thanks for identifying the photo.

14. Norco74

Surely, Bernie was involved solely in the vinyl process.

Remastered by Guthrie, Plante and Grundman. It’s on all of the Hypesticker.

15. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

So it took me about 3 months to get thru 556 pages of this thread.
    I have the entire group of these re-issues, some US and some EU, more on that later.

It’s been great reading all of this, and I am still hoping for Pulse, Relics, Echos, A Foot In The Door and The Wall Live.

Ed

superstar19, Dr. Funk and chrischerm like this.
  16. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Has any of you purchased new vinyl, and it came with major flaws? I'm not talking pops and crackles. But, say, a record that skips?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I have the new reissues from Meddle through Animals. I play them on my AT-LP 120 with the stock 95e cart. Listening through headphones or speakers; All discs are very clean and surface noise-free.

19. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

So you think every album is damaged except Pulse?

20. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Of course not. I never said ever album was damaged. You should read more carefully. Only the side one of the Animals reissue was bad. I have vintage copies of Pink Floyd's albums from Piper through Delicate Sound of Thunder. I thought I'd give the Animals reissue a shot and I got a dud so I didn't bother with any of the others. I'm happy with my vintage copies since they are pretty clean copies. I didn't want to spend any more money on the reissues after my first purchase being a bad one. I've never owned PULSE on vinyl and won't pay the going rate for an original copy. I would purchase it if it were reissued and have my fingers crossed that I'd get a nice copy.

21. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The new reissues might be AAA recordings as well. No one actually knows for sure, and no official statement has been made from the band. But nearly everyone seems to assume they're digitally sourced. Personally I don't give a damn, I'm just happy to finally own some Floyd titles on vinyl!

mikedifr0923 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  22. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

I think they are all rather good and very good value for money. I recently added delicate sound of thunder, not my favourite Floyd album but it sounds very good and only £12.99 from Amazon.

Gary

23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Interesting, it seems you've had some bad luck. I also have tried a few of the reissues and IMHO I must say they aren't bad at all. My go to copies are in many cases original UK pressings but I find these reissues to be affordable if one doesn't want to pay the serious money that most of the originals goes for these days. The reissues I've sound analog and warm and the timeless magic is also there in most cases- at least to these ears. The Wall is stunningly good as an example, in general I think they did a great job on these reissues.

What kind of sound system do you have?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  24. If they were really AAA, the people here who say they can tell the difference between analog and digital vinyl would certainly not stay silent about it.

Norco74 likes this.
  25. Norco74

Right, my perception is that they were all cut from the 2011 transferts. Am I missing something?