The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I’ve never seen Aerosmith in concert, but my understanding is Brad Whitford plays the majority of the lead work.

I’m a bit confused now because you’ve said Joe Perry played with Aerosmith and now you’ve mentioned the Joe Perry Project. Which is it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. GodShifter

Are you saying these albums are similar or that both are a return to a style that bombed previously? If the latter, what albums are they a “return” to? If you’re saying the former then I disagree completely. Unmasked and Crazy Nights are very different sounding albums (though both are crummy).

jeffgt14 likes this.
  3. GodShifter

Same vibe as Galactic Cowboys.

Natvecal. likes this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah...I always saw Crazy Nights as Unmasked II...they went for pop songs with rather thin production/mix. Unmasked is light years better in terms of songwriting.

5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

At least Ace was still killing it on Unmasked.

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well, Ace and Paul...but Bruce does some pretty incredible lead work on Crazy Nights too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. GodShifter

I don’t like much of anything about Unmasked. Even Ace’s songs are weak.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

The Ace songs are all I like on Unmasked. If you take out the Paul songs on Dynasty, I actually think it’s a really good album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

They definitely were related—both were from Houston, both were mentored by Sam Taylor at around the same time, and Galactic Cowboys guitarist Dane Sonnier's brother Len was in Atomic Opera.

slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  10. GodShifter

I’d say if you take out the Gene songs on Dynasty it’s great. It’s still one of my favorite KISS albums.

southamorican and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I meant Ace and Paul on leads...but I get what you are saying. Personally I think Paul hit it out of the park on Unmasked, while Ace's tunes are mediocre at best.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I liked Is It You?. And Naked City. :hide:

Matthew Tate, Curveboy and GodShifter like this.
  13. GodShifter

All the Sam Taylor produced bands sounded kind of similar: down tuned guitars and Beatlesque backing vocals. A very unique sound for one band, but when you’ve got King’s X, Galactic Cowboys, and Atomic Opera it becomes a bit much. Still, I like the Atomic Opera album and still listen to it sometimes.

slipkid likes this.
  14. GodShifter

No, those are both good songs. I like them as well.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

16. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I interviewed one of the members of Third Day way back in the day when I was on the arts beat at a newspaper, and he mentioned that when they worked with Sam Taylor, he kind of insisted that they change their sound to his thing rather than work within the style they'd been successful with. The Third Day guy was vaguely complimentary of Taylor because, I mean, he was in THIRD DAY—he wasn't going to go scorched earth on anyone, obviously—but he certainly did have a subtle hint of "we won't be working with him again" in his tone.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Something about Pauls vocals between '78-'81 just grates with me. I don't know what it is but it's why I don't like Paul's solo album either.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

:wantsome:

19. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I just meant it was Joe Perry singing and playing Red House during an Aerosmith concert. A.K.A., 'being cheeky' as that point in the show it was the Joe Perry project.

Could very well be that Mr. Whitford plays the majority of the lead work. Perhaps I should of payed more attention.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  20. GodShifter

Got it. Thanks.

Yeah, Whitford does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to lead guitar in Aerosmith. Most people assume it’s Perry because he’s more of the face of the band, but it’s not.

Matthew Tate and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  21. GodShifter

Yeah, that’s cool. I understand. I think he’s quite good, but there are a couple of songs on Paul Stanley where his singing is pretty bad; one in particular that’s horrible. I’ve never disliked Paul’s vocals, but he did get of shriek-y on more of the metal oriented material. These days, well, ... it’s pretty sad.

22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

One of my favorite albums by them. Actually, 4 of their first 5 albums plus Ironbound are my 5 favorite albums by them. Saw them this past September in Dayton, Ohio and they brought the house down. See them every time I get the chance. IMO, they should be part of the Big 4, in place of Anthrax. ;) Too bad there isn't a Big 6. If that were the case, there would be room for both Overkill and Testament.

Overkill is probably the most consistent, old-school Thrash band out there. Every 2 to 3 years, you can count on a new good, high-quality album by them. (Megadeth consistently puts out new albums in that timeframe too, but can be hit or miss on quality.)

SoKan61, Matthew Tate and weekendtoy like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

perry does some fantastic playing on the new solo album though

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  24. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Gonna have to get this now...

Perry and Whitford I'd say pretty much equally share lead guitar in Aerosmith - Perry is no slouch at all but very bluesy and almost sloppy while Whitford is more trained and precise!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Got this one during the week. Bloody great album by a hugely overlooked band...

Anyone else here a fan?

[​IMG]

Chimera, Trillmeister and dvcarrick like this.