Record Stores Along 1-80 PA to Iowa

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Fender Relic, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kind of a crazy thread but wondering if any forum members live along the I-80 corridor from Clarion, PA to Des Moines/Ames, Iowa. I'll most likely be traveling that stretch more this year and not familiar with towns along the way that might have good record and/or music stores. I haven't been west of Cleveland on 80 for many years so it'll be an adventure. Any recommendations,even driving tips, will be appreciated. Thanks!

JeffMo and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

This: Ragged Records

About 7 miles south of interstate 80, Davenport, Iowa.

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Goin past a bunch of college towns...gotta be more than a few.

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Give ZZZ Records a try in Des Moines! They are on the 2200 block of Ingersoll avenue. Been there for a long time. Owner's name is Nate--good guy! Des Moines had their record show on first weekend of December and IIRC they will have one coming up in February, check Record Shows Of America show listings to double check.

If you can, try to stretch your trip to Council Bluffs, right on the Iowa/Nebraska border. It's maybe 2 hours west of Des Moines. A store with a ton of vinyl and I mean a ton is Kanesville Kollectables--530 S. 4th St in downtown CB. Owner's name is Tim-has been in business for nearly 40 years. He also has hundreds of dvd's, comic books, cd's. Thousands of 45's and thousands of lp's. Tim also helps out at the River City Collectors Omaha Music Convention, held 3 times a year, their next show is last Sunday of March IIRC. Again, check listings.

Good luck! And safe travels, traveling on I-80 this time of the year can get a tad iffy!

ADD----good suggestion on the Davenport store.

zphage, JeffMo and Fender Relic like this.
  5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've ordered from Kanesville IIRC. Thanks for the info on Des Moines.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I drove on I-80 just last week. Good to know for future trips!

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Bowling Green is a little south, just take 75 down a half hour or so. If you're looking for new records (or CD's) Finder's Records is well worth the trip. I'm going to start heading out there at least twice a year, with a real full wallet. I just went there today and found 8 albums I really wanted and could have easily tripled that if I had the money. The prices were good and the store is easy to browse. There's food and stuff within walking distance, too.

clhboa and Fender Relic like this.
  8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Really nice looking store too!

Fender Relic and spridle like this.
  9. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

It's a clean, well organized place. If you're dying to dig in used crates it's not the place to go, but I found the first Blood Meridian album (which no one pays much attention to, but I really like them) for 8 bucks. I've never even seen it before and wouldn't have hesitated at 16. I got the Rhino reissue of Weird Tales there, and they also had Blood on the Slacks and Another Fine Day. Both were like 12 bucks and I had no idea they ever even came out on vinyl. I was really quite blown away. One of the best new record stores I've been to in decades.

Fender Relic likes this.
  10. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Record Collector in Iowa City is just off of 80. Not the biggest store, but a nice selection and usually very reasonable prices.

Fender Relic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.