Outlaw RR2160 thread.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe the one I bought, 10ft..5.99
    The laptop I refer to isn't a proper laptop..Acer Chromebook 11..doesn't run windows, strong chance it won't work. Also bought on Amazon, a crapshoot as to if it will send audio to my receiver.
    I posted the question on Amazon last night after spending a while reading existing Q&A.
    So far no response.. I'm not the greatest at computer tech speak. LOL

2. BDC

Good to hear, and BTW thanks for getting back. Very cool your discovering these things.
    Will that adapter work with a phone with ports as I described on mine?
    (small trapezoid shaped charge usb port and an 1/8th headphone input only)
    If the case, how exactly do you plug it in?

If it's that simple, maybe phone capability is worth a go too....
    I really only listen to music on the phone through a JBL flip4 BT spk at work when I'm keeping it on the down low..LOL but again if that simple, worth a go.
    Thanks very much for sharing, and I'm glad for your discoveries and enjoyment with the 2160.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The outlaw would have no problem playing 4-Ohm loads (speakers) all day. If I was going to do this again today, I would still get an Integrated amp, to use as my central point of control, input selector and preamp.

And here is how to utilize your 5.1 system options with your Outlaw.

If I was not going to use (and even if I was) the internal power amplifier section, as I use all external amps. I would probably buy the Outlaw integrated either way. You are simply not going to find these features anywhere on the current market, for what you will pay for the Outlaw.

Polk Audio is holding a 40% off sale on their entire RTi series. You could get a RTiA3 bookshelf speaker for $239.97/pr., where the regular price is $399/pr. They are available in black or a real cherry wood veneer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are excellent speakers, they are designed with HT in mind, but they also rock in stereo applications.

I have a pair of their RTiA9's and their RTiA Series High Performance Center Channel Speaker. I have since upgraded to the LSiM series, with Polk's flagship speakers, the LSiM707's, serving double duty for both HT and Stereo.

I later bought their top of the line center channel speaker for the LSiM series. But, it is much too large to fit in the cabinet, under the TV. So, I'm continuing to use the CSiA6, which is the top of the line in Polk's RTi series. It is normally a $400 speaker, but with the 40% off sale, it will only run you $239.97. They also make a slightly smaller version, that is $100, less.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    We watched a movie with this as the center, with my new processor, before I had the front mains connected, the vocals come through the mix, with excellent clarity.

Another idea? You could pick up a pair of the RTiA7 towers. With the 40% discount, they would run you $600, for the pair. You could then use your current front speakers for your rear speakers.

Just an idea...

You can use any amplifier for the rear channel's. I have a used (bought off eBay) Emotiva Fusion Flex 50-WPC power amplifier to drive a pair of Klipsch WF35 towers, that I use in the rear (towers rule for rear channels too).

BDC likes this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

That is probably why I am going to buy the Outlaw 2160(and just get an AV Receiver/Amp Used or lower price option in the future, when I add 2 Rear Speakers & a Center Speaker). Appreciate the information on the Polk Speakers, but I am going to stick with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers. Was considering the ELAC Un-Fi UB5 Speakers if going for 4 Ohms Speakers. My Speaker consideration might change in the future, if not liking the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers, but getting them on a strong recommendation from a Music Engineer, and most Customer Reviews are excellent for these Speakers. Tough decision, as was also considering the Dali Zensor 3 and KEF 150 & 350 Speakers. Maybe some day, I can move up to the Monitor Audio Silver Series

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. BDC

This cable was delivered today and I am delighted to say it worked and sounded great with my Acer chromebook 11. Very cool to have another useful source. Next will be to buy a new PC to update my old turd. I think after that I'll play flac downloaded flac files through the PC and roll with hard drive storage, as opposed to burning tons of CDs as I have done in the past.

6. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

You will love the flexibility. Have you tried a streaming service? That was the main reason I liked plugging in a phone, all that music at my fingertips (even beyond my collection).

BDC likes this.
  7. BDC

I think I'd have to use a bluetooth receiver for that, my phone isn't an i phone just a basic Samsung galaxy core prime cheapy, android. I only use Google play or Youtube to stream music on the stealth at work, just random play from a selected genre. Or I could go headphone jack into the analog in's. Only inputs are mini USB for charging and headphone..

I just now ordered an ethernet WIFI receiver to try out the internet radio, hopefully this is a pretty straight forward function.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Nonpoint likes this.
  8. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

Yeah - curious about the internet radio as well and interested in testing the DLNA streaming capabilities. I just received the same WIFI receiver.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    BDC likes this.
  9. BDC

Awesome, I'll probably see mine between Wed/Fri. My understanding from reading on Amazon is that you can set it to automatically read the motum from the receiver. Hope you report any findings or technical issues.

Nonpoint likes this.
  10. BDC

My ethernet wifi receiver came today. Me being a guy about 2 years beyond the invention of fire in technology, had it running in only about 10 minutes of cussing and screaming. Listening to UK radio, but gotta go to work, much to explore. Made my day........
    Peace

Jack Flannery and JackG like this.
  11. MasterPo

MasterPo Forum Resident

Ever since seeing this thread, I've had my eye on this receiver. I've been going back and forth between wanting to buy and talking myself out of it since I didn't really need a new amp, even though there's some features on it that I don't have now but will definitely use. Yesterday I found myself on the outlaw website and saw that they're selling B-Stock units for $699 with free shipping. I emailed for more info and got this response:
    B-stock units are customer returns or factory-refurbished units that have been opened for any reason. They
    carry a full warranty and thirty-day money back trial. While these units are 100% fully operational they are
    not guaranteed to be blemish free.

I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully it comes without blemishes, or at least nothing significant. When you factor in the free shipping, it's close to a 20% discount. I couldn't pass it up. Can't wait til it arrives

Strat-Mangler and JackG like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Congrats! Let us know how it compares. :)

13. Strat-Mangler

Actually, I'm curious. If I'm using Tape Out on my current amp to carry the audio to my PC and then back out to the amp and wanted to do the same thing on the RR2160, would I be using REC Out or External Processor for that?

14. MasterPo

MasterPo Forum Resident

I'm planning to do something similar and it looks like there's a few options to accomplish this. To get music from the amp to the computer, it looks like you can use either the record out, or the external loop out for analog signals, but there doesn't appear to be any digital outputs. For inputs, you could use any of the analog inputs (except phono of course), including the external loop input. There's also a USB input to connect a pc, and there's even the networked DLNA feature that could play music from a server through the amp.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for that. I'm assuming the last 2 functions would be utilizing the amp's DAC, correct?

16. MasterPo

MasterPo Forum Resident

Yeah that's correct

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. BDC

I wish I would of gotten mine for 699 but I'm happy enough with the amp to not be too bothered by it.
    I haven't done any recording through mine yet, but I'm confident it'll do well.

18. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

FWIW - I bought a refurb 2150 from Outlaw and it came looking new or at least it was hard to tell it was used. They cleaned and repackaged the unit pretty well and after owning the unit ~1 years - no issues (knock on wood).

MasterPo likes this.
  19. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

Jeff - how is the speed when you try to tune stations? I am finding using the DNLA and internet radio almost unusable - very slow to initialize and I experience the unit freezing from time to time during tracks. Although, I must say I not using a direct ethernet connection, but relying on the same wifi receiver. I could simply be too far away for consistent streaming. On the flip side the PC USB performance has been flawless after receiving a new unit.

20. BDC

Mine works pretty well to me. There can be a few seconds to initialize when starting it or using the menu to navigate. I guess navigating it can be a little clunky, but when I dial in a station it's been solid. My modem is upstairs and the Outlaw in the basement. Distance separated by the floor, is about 15 feet, and there is a window nearby both in the basement and upstairs. (Thats if the signal goes through the floor or outside through the windows) Open air walking distance would be about 100ft..I hope that makes sense.

If other wireless device work there, I would expect your internet radio to as well. I'm using that ethernet receiver, .no direct connection.

Nonpoint likes this.
  21. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

It does thanks. I have a similar distance to my router.

22. BDC

I have no idea if it could be an issue, but I tested my internet speed here. I just used auto test.
    It'll start immediately if you click on it...
    Auto Speed Test

My Speed :: 71.8 Mbps........another try a few minutes later 59.4

I have had stations here and there that didn't come in good.
    I think once the Outlaw froze up on me once when I was doing a lot of navigating, problem solved quickly with reboot. I think this can happen if you try to go faster than it wants to go. Generally I've had no problem navigating to stations around the world with good reception, some less so. Quite easy to dial in different rock genres in the UK. I tend to listen to stations in the US in different cities.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  23. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

Thanks. I can get the radio feature to work well enough to use after messing with the ethernet adapter location and to your point above - the SQ is better than expected. I still can't get the DNLA streaming to work well, freezes when I start to navigate tracks at a steady pace. I am going to try a few different sources to see if that is the issue, currently using my Macbook as the source with Audirvana.

Any more thoughts on the Digital inputs/Dac vs your Onkyo CD player? IMO - It is definitely audibly better than the 2150 usb input (but that is pretty dated tech) and matched up pretty well with a Oppo Sonica dac (could not reliably pick out either source when playing level set tracks).

24. Strat-Mangler

Distance isn't the full story. There can be interference caused by many devices or materials. It's best to test it using the source (i.e. computer).

25. BDC

I do like the sound when plugging into the PC USB in the back. but I have a broken desktop I need to replace. The hard drive has a lot of flac files in it. I think it may have viruses, so I may bring that hardrive to a tech and get it gone through before running it through another pc. Outside that I've only ran my chromebook into the pc USB(Youtube), which was enough to tell me it would sound great with lossless coming at it. I do like the sound of the Onkyo analog outs better than digital into the Outlaw. I'll get back when I get around to getting a new PC, and that hard drive squared away. I also been using the aux input on the front, and you get a pretty good sound out of it as well IMO, at least for talk radio via phone etc.

I stream movies off my chromebook with a HDMI to my TV. I can't use HDMI and USB off the chromebook at the same time, so I go headphone input to aux input on the Outlaw, this is still better movie sound than I ever had before the outlaw.
    Outlaw just has a good analog sound that makes sh!t sound better.