Lady Bird (2017 Motion Picture)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mds, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Then all she'll need is a Golden Globe to be an EGOT.

ralphb likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Can't wait to see her on B'way next year in Albee's "Three Tall Women", she's an incredible stage actor.

eeglug likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If he gets a nomination for "Call Me..." it's well deserved, he was the standout in a movie filled with nomination worthy performances.

Hexwood likes this.
  4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

My wife and I saw it this weekend. Absolutely loved it. Loved loved loved it. Such a perfectly told, smart and nuanced story. I was misty-eyed a few times even though there weren't any gratuitously manipulative scenes.

The complicated relationship between Lady Bird and her mother almost freaked my wife out. She felt it hit very close to home. Very real.

Such a beautiful, lovely little movie. I feel so grateful it was made.

dan c

5. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I saw it Saturday at the AMC theater in Cullman, AL. It was pretty good, but some of the language was shocking (yes, I know it was rated "R").

6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

It's awsome that a director has given Laurie Metcalf a meaty role in a solid film. She deserves it after all of these years. I think the Oscar will be a fight between her and the equally fantastic Allison Janney.

ralphb likes this.
  7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I liked the pace and tone of the story. Laurie Metcalf played her role perfectly, torn between her financial issues at home and helping others resolve their issues at her job.
    I appreciate that there wasn't any bright spot light exposition and how they deftly explained the story of the priest's (the producer of the play) depression and how Lady Bird's older brother was (most likely) adopted because Lady Bird's mother could not bear children early in her marriage.

8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You seem to have described the whole of the UK, as even in major cities you'll have to visit a probably small, independent cinema.

Due to watch this tonight and I will post my thought later

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Absolutely loved this film, even though it's a collage of many films, which I can't remember but carries it off so well it doesn't matter.

I mentioned Three Billboards as my film of the year and sometimes a film without any expectation or pretensions deserve as much respect, my film of the year.

Did this even get nominated?

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Allison has been picking up all the awards so far but I hope Laurie gets the Oscar. I think it was a better performance.

This was a great movie.

Dan C likes this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That was what I immediately thought. I lost interest when I found out it wasn't.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m watching it in dribs and drabs. It’s okay but I’m not exactly riveted. It’s cute.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I saw this movie last night. I went in knowing nothing about it. I loved it. It was refreshing.

14. Chris DeVoe

About her heroic fight to make our nation's highways beautiful?

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

'Lady Bird Johnson is reported to be such an outstandingly nice woman that it must indicate something good about the President.' (Cecil King, 1966)

There is a good film to be made about a nice woman who marries a man who gradually turns out to be a monster, albeit a very successful monster. Or has that film been made already?

16. Chris DeVoe

A monster? I don't know how to address that without violating Forum rules.

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

My fault. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

Lyndon Baines Johnson is remembered as a significant President and the most successful Senate Majority Leader ever - but most of those who had dealings with him found him to be a difficult and not always likeable man (maybe he had to be - who knows?)

Most people seem to have liked Mrs. Johnson, though.

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Perhaps The Godfather?

Siegmund likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

I remember him as the man who accomplished great things, but played political hardball better than almost anyone who has ever sat in the oval office, and had what should have been an astounding legacy forever tarnished by America's bizarre desire to keep Indochina French.

ralphb and mds like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can we stick to the right "Lady Bird" here please? It would be ridiculous indeed if this thread ended up locked for politics due to diverting into presidential history.

Robert C likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nice film, well acted, but a bit dull.

22. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Just delete the threadcrap posts, please Gorts.

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Saw this film tonight and loved it. I hope it wins the Oscar.

Pastafarian likes this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought Tracy Letts (the dad) was really good, but all the praise seems to just be for Saoirse and Laurie Metcalf. The movie is getting too much praise, I think. It was good, but not worth the fawning. Saoirse is one of my favorite actresses, but this is a nice little movie, not much more.

Deesky likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Totally agree. As for Saoirse, her character didn't do anything for me, nor any other for that matter (except maybe the dad). I just didn't feel any emotional engagement with the characters or their situations and the whole story felt very slight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.