Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

That's funny, my TV is maybe an inch or two off center because of the studs in my wall, and it drives me insane.

Manimal, PhilBiker, trd and 4 others like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

OCD is strong with those that play records.

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Some of you may remember I posted a pic of this rig when it was decorated for Halloween. I was concerned the wife may have done somthing to get it out of order by moving it around.

Literally since that point something sounded off. I don’t play it very often and when I do it isn’t for very long. Somthing was sounding raspy and distorted in the tweeters. I just assumed I pushed the volume too much and f’d up the speakers.

Eventually, I swapped out the speakers to check and it was still there. I pulled the phonostage that had an annoying hum and I thought that sounded better. After about a week I decided it was still a mess, I just couldn’t hear it as clearly because the internal on the Fisher isn’t as revealing and has less gain.

I bought an old adcom CD player for cheap and I plugged that in and it sounded amazing. First time I’ve played a cd in many years and I though, “why the hell have I been fooling around with records, this old CD player just killed my analog chain?”

To make a short story way too long...the vtf on that Luxman table was set to 4 grams. :yikes:

Now I don’t think I can make a case that Halloween decorating caused that counterweight to move but it is a hell of a coincidence. Also...I added a second ground wired to the phonostage and the hum went away.

That little rig now sounds delightful. I know having the speakers on the same surface as the table isn’t great but that’s what the situation calls for. I’m really not hearing any problem with it set up like that, it stays clean with all the volume I can give it but just on principle it’s upsetting.

4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Definitely not I, though if I were rich, I'm not sure if my stereo setup would be that much different.

5. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Really very nice.
    With a couple of exceptions, I'm not a vintage speaker guy at all but ADS is one of those exceptions.
    Those monsters are sweet and look beautiful. I can only imagine when they're complete.
    Plus driving them with an Ampzilla II?
    Perfection.
    Matt, your refurb project is unique & brilliant
    Please post updates.

FWIW, there have been a slew of awesome pics & systems lately.

MATT0404 likes this.
  6. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Can't remember if I posted my system again since my posts went the graveyard that is photobucket. So what the heck, I'll post my main system again. Since the update on my Rogue RP-1 the system really hums, with no hum, well, you know what I mean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JUCO, barfko, black sheriff and 26 others like this.
  7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Can you adjust the tv on the mount?

Based on the studs mine would be off a bit but I was able to offset the tv on the mount so it looks centered in the system.

8. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Those records on the top shelf are to slanted for my liking, please fix it sir.

acdc7369 and detroit muscle like this.
  9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've got it over as far as it will go unfortunately. It's been like this for a while now, I'm 'almost' used to it lol

10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Absolutely beautiful ADS speakers, I owned the L-710, L-810, and the L-910, my favorites. I could never afford the L2030's, yours are just a site to behold, my gosh, never sell those, top shelf!! :edthumbs:

MATT0404 likes this.
  11. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Wow, that is a nice system and stunning room, and I will have to agree with another post, that room needs a bit larger set of speakers, and I have just the right size, not too big, not too small, just right! :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

Funky54, arar, Tullman and 8 others like this.
  12. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

Not in the middle, but on the golden ratio ;).

PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Can we have something a bit less fugly?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

They always remind me of Dalek’s from Dr. Who, they sound way better though!

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s advanced level OCD.

acdc7369 likes this.
  16. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Spectacular!

I seem to remember having a brief conversation with you in another thread before the Lab90s arrived - hope you're happy with them (why wouldn't you be?!?!)

You were going to run Lab5s as surround speakers too?

I would love to hear that room and watch a film on that TV! Congrats...

manxman likes this.
  17. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes, I have Lab 5s as rears. It's probably the only system in the world that has those speakers and a quadraphonic turntable and amplifier. Because all the speakers are active, we had to wire it in a most unusual way: the amplifier acts as a pre-amp, assigning the correct channels to the correct speakers, then the signal is attenuated back to line level and run directly to the four speakers. Bang & Olufsen told me that wiring a system this way was impossible, as did everyone on the BeoWorld forum, but Geoff Martin (B&O's tonmeister and designer of the BeoLab 90s) said there was no reason it couldn't be done, so we went ahead — and it works.

18. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation, Geoff is certainly the Tonmeister so I'd listen to what he has to say!

I run Lab5s at front with Lab3s as rears. Having heard Lab90s at Munich a couple of years ago, I can only imagine how much of an upgrade they would be. Unfortunately I don't have the space, but might be able to squeeze some Lab50s in as a retirement present to myself in a few years time...

Enjoy your system!

Funky54 and manxman like this.
  19. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm sure they sound fine but IMHO they may be the reason why some of us should think about buying very big and large brown paper bags

Mintsauce likes this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Truer words were never posted on this forum!

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

As evidenced by every thread about cleaning records.

RDriftwood, SirMarc and action pact like this.
  22. Baaronj

Baaronj Forum Resident

These look great! I'd love to hear more about the pair you built for your main system.

If you've got lots of detail, I think I might start a new Altec build thread soon. I'm itching to start my next project.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

The cabinets are a combination of MDF and Baltic birch. The veneer is sapele pommele. They use Altec 511B horn fitted with Altec 802-8G drivers, JBL 077 tweeter and JBL 2235H woofers. The crossover is custom using Sonic Craft Jupiter HT flat stack caps, Gen 1 caps, Platinum caps and Mills resistors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Cool!! :)

25. Baaronj

Baaronj Forum Resident

These look fantastic! Are the cabinets of your own design?

I know I want my next pair of Altecs to use 15" drivers. As hesitant as I am to jump into a full cabinet build, this is the kind of thing that causes me to take leave of my senses and forget headaches of the build process.

I'm still not sure whether I should just find some Model 19s, do a domestic A7 type build like this or go 604 based....