Altered Carbon - New Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jriems, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan Thread Starter

A new Netflix Original Series, Altered Carbon, will debut in February 2018. Figured I'd start the inevitable thread early with a link to the preview trailer. Discuss...

chrischerm likes this.
  2. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I love the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard Morgan. Hope this is as good as the books. Really interesting view of the future.

3. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

I agree. Very tech oriented but still pretty pulpy action-packed. And the idea of "cortical stacks" (downloaded consciousness) implanted in different bodies ("sleeves") would allow the producers the ultimate in cast diversity. If the hero's "sleeve" dies (or the actor, male or female, needs replacing) save his/her "stack" and implant it in another "sleeve" (actor.) A male "stack" could easily end up in a female "sleeve" and vicey-versey. In extreme it could be like having all the different James Bonds showing up in one season! (Although Kovacs does go through a few "sleeves" it's not quite that drastic in the books.)

Vidiot and chrischerm like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hmmm, this sounds somewhat like Dollhouse. I can't say I'm enthused by the premise.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

It's not at all like Dollhouse. Give it a shot, it's actually a pretty cool story. :)

Crimson jon, wayneklein and Dave Mac like this.
  6. Dave Mac

Yeah, Kovacs and his various cohorts are cops of some type (if I recall, been several years since I read a couple of the books) who through injury or mission necessity are periodically "re-sleeved" with their original consciousness housed inside what are basically surgically implanted hard drives. Dollhouse was your stereotypical criminal/tech organization providing memory wiped "agents" implanted with false memories and/or abilities for various nefarious (nevarious?) ends. The show had some promise (and Eliza Dushku looked good!) but didn't last. Hopefully "Altered Carbon" won't be travestied into a pale imitation of the original.

chrischerm likes this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I only read the first book-- i thought it was excellent- a lot of sci-fi noir seems contrived (but then I found the original Bladerunner awkward when i saw it in original theatrical release). The author gave more than cardboard figures and tech tricks--echoes of past lives, regret, who are we today? The world he set it in was also fairly fleshed out, with lots of potentially interesting side trails.
    I wonder what they'll do about the Hendrix? (licensing or change the name).
    I'll definitely tune in to the show.
    The televised version of the Expanse hasn't been bad in my estimation.
    Perhaps the new generation of screenwriters is willing to run with sci-fi a bit deeper - it certainly seems like the genre is much more widely accepted now, not just in occasional major releases intended for general audiences, but smaller productions intended for devotees of the genre.
    I find myself reading far more sci-fi than ever. Perhaps it is because we aren't quite at the turning point in real life- the promise of the technology is there, certainly many things are potentially on the cusp, but they've been promising a Jetson-mobile since the '60s- I'm still waiting for mine.

Dave Mac and chrischerm like this.
  8. mds

mds Forum Resident

I watched the first episode last night. Rather violent, so my wife immediately took a dislike. It is also confusing and difficult to understand whey the main character could survive waking up 500 or 100 years in the future and be plopped down with a 500 year young man to discover who killed him. I however am a die hard syfy fan so I will give it three to five episodes before passing final judgement but for now it appears to be so-so and I may be bailing soon.

9. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I've never read the books (although I'm going to remedy that now) and watched all the episodes yesterday, and found it very enjoyable. Great to see some decent cyber-punk being made, and getting decent money spent on it as well

chrischerm and mds like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sooo, the studio already has the "contract negotiation" card in their favor, built-in. Wonder how the union's likin' that...
    "Doctor Who...please pick up the red phone...paging Doctor Who..."

11. mds

mds Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the series. I was hoping this turns out to be an exciting story with an interesting premise. It certainly has great visuals and a strong cast. I wasn't sure if it was going to grab me or not based on just one episode. I don't judge a series by the first episode, I know it takes a few to understand the story and characters. I also like to be able to become empathetic towards or like one of the main characters. If I cannot like and root for a character typically I find it hard to watch episode after episode of a series.

12. I've watched the first episode last night and I enjoyed. The looks and aesthetics look way too much to Blade Runner.

John Moschella likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've heard the series described as a beautiful mess.

Ted Bell likes this.
  14. Dave Mac

Who knows how closely "Hollywood" will stick to the book, after all there's the inevitable disclaimer ". . . based on the book by Richard Morgan." The characters as we meet them should remain intact. It's not like everybody's body-hopping every few pages. But, yeah, they do have the out of keeping the character and just replacing the "sleeve" like Darren on Bewitched and Becky on Roseanne or the good Doctor.

I just read some similar comments where it's long on looks but but pretty disjointed and confusing plot-wise. I haven't seen it yet but hope to soon.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, everybody who supports making Sarah Chalke the next Doctor, raise your hand! :wave:

Dave Mac likes this.
  16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan Thread Starter

My wife and I are enjoying it a lot so far (4 episodes in). Those negative reviews are nuts - reminds me of the negative onslaught The Orville initially took. Not at all justified in my opinion.

chrischerm likes this.
  17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

This one I like. Lots of twists that (eps # 4) seem to be starting to work out. Good compelling science fiction and lots of dramatic tension. I don't know where it is going and I hope it ends strong and not with a whimper.

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My brother was raving about this so I may eventually get around to watching it although I'll probably read the book first.

19. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I just now started watching. It looks incredible. A great wat to show off your new 4K HDR set.

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

What I want to know is, is that Joel Kinnaman's body in the opening scene?

21. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, more than I expected. A pitty that with my internect connection I can only get 1080p without HDR, the HDR on this show must be insane.

22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I’m on the third episode, and I’m liking it a lot. I agree, it looks insane in 4K HDR

23. robertawillisjr

24. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

I like the visual effects. Plot is hard to follow at times. I like Joel Kinnaman from The Killing. And James Purefoy always plays a great bad guy (The Following was great too).

Brenald79 likes this.
  25. robertawillisjr

Well all ten episodes are done. I found the plot a bit difficult in spots but think the authors vision for this world is fantastic and will read the books RSN. I just read that season 2 has been okayed by netflix but that it may not contain the same characters since the main character is now on a quest to find his lost love's device.

If you lived in this world and were rich, would you change "shells" regularly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.