Best Buy to stop selling CDs in-store this year

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by DorothyV, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Amazon.ca definitely increased the CDs since HVM closed last year.

Chemguy likes this.
  2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I remember buying the Tom Petty Anthology Deluxe box set for $20.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They hardly have any now.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes - at the same time, the local Best Buy had a few Beatles Mono CD boxes for $100.

It seemed those just sat on the shelves for several hours.

I recall thinking at the time, that’s proof it’s actually true... no one cares about buying CDs anymore...

Chemguy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Just like the dinosaur malls dying throughout America, it is Best Buy and Target who are further limiting their customer pool. Only recently, malls have realized that bringing people into their location resulted in increased customer revenue and have expanded their tenants to include dentists and other nonretail businesses. Once customers walk into the mall, they leave purchasing more merchandise than they intended--it's the convenience factor.

As for Best Buy and Target, not carrying CDs is yet another reason not to visit their respective stores. I can actually shop at a grocery store, a hardware store, and online and eliminate them from my travels... just like I eliminated shopping malls so long ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Well, there are old timers and there are OLD timers.
    I can wax nostalgic about purchasing records at Sears,Woolworths and the local hi-fi shop in my hometown long ago.
    I certainly do not do that about shopping malls and big box chain stores.
    Matter of perspective.
    Everything changes.

I remember this guy at work a couple decades ago who claimed to be old fashioned cuz he bought everything at Wal-Mart. Yeah...well......ok.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Great point. In the 60's & 70's malls often had a supermarket as an anchor tenant, then this ended with the rise if the superstore concept of food shopping. Things are starting to come full circle though, as one mall in Mass is putting a two story grocery store in a vacated JC Penney location.

Matthew Tate and Blue Gecko like this.
  8. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

From what I’ve seen at Best Buy recently, they might as well stop selling them. Their selection is pathetic.

9. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I've been through every stage you have. Everything may change, but it appears some of us may miss the continued waning of physical media more than others. I guess that was my point and less about the specifics of this Best Buy and Target announcement.

10. danner

danner Forum Resident

The funny thing is, in my town at least, while the music selections are drying up in the big box stores, the local record shops are booming. I'm okay with that.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

All buyers of physical media beware :cheers:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no biggie...there will always be CDs on line or in Record shops be it the few that exist...the major stores rarely carried anything I was interested in...

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

15. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

I prefer to own CDs of music I like, even though I find it more convenient to rip them to my phone and listen to them through Bluetooth speakers. I know I can buy downloads legally, but I like to have the physical media. I even rip the occasional LP when I can't find the music on CD. I haven't bought many CDs from either Best Buy or Target. In fact, I don't remember ever buying CDs at either place. Try finding any Captain Beefheart at those places. Good luck! I always had better luck at an actual record store or Amazon.

All of the above was to say that I won't miss BB or Target selling CDs. Walmart can drop them, too, for all I care.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  16. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I've been on a CD buying spree lately. I love the dirt cheap prices reflecting the fact people think they're an obsolete technology now. Works for me, lol. Let's keep it this way as long as possible before we get the nostalgia thing going on like with vinyl and the prices jump up.

melstapler likes this.
  17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Remember when Best Buy used to not only carry box sets, but actually had a pretty impressive selection? I bought the Mosaic Duke Ellington Reprise set there, as well as both of the Art Tatum Pablo boxes.

melstapler and black sheriff like this.
  18. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I bought two. That was a great deal.

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Yes, that's right! The enjoyable 5th bonus disc and the live LP should be reissued on their own.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. The Best Buy near my sister's home used to stock a few Mosaic titles and numerous Bear Family box sets as well. In just a matter of a few years, I went from having to buy those titles from vendors at the record shows or sometimes online sellers to actually being able to walk into a brick and mortar store and find them on the shelves.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

the last CD I bought at Target was Megadeth "Dystopia" and the only reason I bought it was because it came with a code for a free vinyl version. I think the last new release I bought at Best Buy was Maiden's "Matter Of Life.." and that was because it came with a Maiden patch and DVD.

I still buy $5 CD's at Walmart from time to time (although they no longer have the $5 bins). Most of the time when I want a new release the easiest way to find it is online (Amazon). Even FYE has scaled back CD's in our mall. I believe they have more (overpriced) vinyl than CD's now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

As many have pointed out, the selection has been terrible for the last couple years anyway. My local Best Buy doesn't even bother to organize the titles in any kind of order, so you couldn't find anything anyway.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

"best buy to continue to stock vinyl for 2 years"

-from the linked article

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Have you guys looked through BB's vinyl section?
    Calling it "pathetic" would be kind. Maybe 40 titles, max, all of it WAY overpriced. Not even worth browsing.

25. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

no doubt, but if they are pulling cd and not the LPs somebody must be buying them

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.