New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like that one a lot too.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The original band was awesome, but that was 35 years ago! Oh well.

3. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I Like It a lot

DTK likes this.
  4. Audioresearch

Simple Minds After Once Upon a time, were For a while not a good band,with not so good albums.
    Real Life is really bad.
    I like Good News From The Next World For it's production And decent songs.
    Neapolis is a decent album (No filters no toppers)
    Cry is really bad, Black White is bad
    Graffiti Soul is a decent album with Some great tracks.
    Big Music is a really good effort It's too long with Some filler
    Walk Between Worlds is a good album worthy to become a Classic Simple Minds album maybe

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

We all have our opinions and they're all unique. She's fine, I preferred how Big Country used Kate Bush but I know that Jim was enamored with the big sounds of the American albums at the time so Robin's addition made sense. I just preferred them as that "sweat on the ceiling" band I had come to worship the previous few years. She's a fantastic singer and Alive and Kicking, All The Things She Said remains one of my all time favorite tracks. She's a big part of the soundtrack of my life.

6. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I like the album very much. I was a bit put off at the lineup change because I thought they were onto something. That said, WBW is climbing into the upper, upper echelon of SM albums for me.

DTK likes this.
  7. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Cry is one of my favourites and I've been following them since the early 80's. :)

DTK likes this.
  8. Audioresearch

:edthumbs:

9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

If you really take into consideration what was happening when Cry was being made, the album makes sense and it did grow on me quite a bit. They were just about to pack it in when some DJs and some electronic music types really convinced them to stick with it and that they'd help them figure out that "modern sound". Cry is filled with toe tappers, it's not some deep artistic statement, wasn't meant to be, just some real hummable tunes with some good production. Kind of like Good News is, it kept things going, gave them time to sort it out a bit. I play it quite often actually.

JeffMo, DTK and Dave 81828384 like this.
  10. manco

manco Forum Resident

Too bad their most famous song "Don't You Forget About Me" was not written by them. What is the best Simple Minds song that they wrote?

11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I Travel
    Scar
    King is White and In The Crowd
    Premonition
    Changeling
    Pleasantly Dusturbed

Don’t You Forget About Me is a pile of crap....

Dave 81828384 and DTK like this.
  12. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Not "really bad", there's a good album in there. It's just a new production for them with Stephen Lipson and they lost the mighty Mick. Give it some time, I implore you...........no....I entreat you.
    I like Good News From The Next World For it's production And decent songs.
    Yes! Good collection of songs! Toe tappers, nothing too too deep but great Forsey production, awesome guitar work and great drumming.
    Neapolis is a decent album (No filters no toppers)
    Love Neapolis, that was a Charlie and Peter Walsh gem.
    Cry is really bad, Black White is bad
    Cry is a collection of pretty good songs, hard to find a signature SM sound in there but it's pretty good nonetheless. B&W has some good singles in there like "Kiss The Ground", "Different World" and "Stay Visible", it's a decent placeholder to keep them relevant.
    Graffiti Soul is a decent album with Some great tracks.
    This one is where the band was getting its sound, they had been together for a bit and were getting things fired up.
    Big Music is a really good effort It's too long with Some filler
    Agreed, more of a compilation than an album with some songs that didn't need to be there but good sounding nonetheless.
    Walk Between Worlds is a good album worthy to become a Classic Simple Minds album maybe

Yes!

DTK likes this.
  13. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Agreed, it's a great bookend to the album.

14. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

LOL. Tell us how you really feel. It's not a bad song IMO, just not theirs. I like the production and the synths.

DTK likes this.
  15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Galactus2 and DTK like this.
  16. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I ordered the Deluxe version, they gave me full credit and the cd shipped today so I came out ahead other than the wait

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

That's actually a very, very good candidate. Sons was where they really started to work with structure in the complex, NGD was sort of the destination for all that work albeit with more basic structure and melody. I always thought that they poured it all out on Sons and NGD was the beneficiary since it came together so easily for them. "Earth" is one of those that you'd be hard pressed to find anything that sounds like it. Jim's voice is an instrument on this one, they pretty much nailed it here.

I'm also going to offer "Sense of Discovery" and "Signal and the Noise" as good additions to their "Best Of" lineup. SOD has impressed everyone I've played it for.

Galactus2, DTK and Dave 81828384 like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a case bound edition?

19. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

It's that thicker type of cardboard, if you bought the Jesus Jones or Oasis re-releases you probably have them. At least that's what I think it is but, I don't suppose I'm right. I'm all verklempt about receiving my super duper happy fun pack, I'm told the post service here in my new country is prone to people helping themselves to packages and the like. I like my new country very much but we waited 45 minutes for french fries one night and they didn't really feel too bad about it...........oh, and the post office might be filled with 5 fingered Charlies. Don't the realize I'm an American and I'm used to getting my fries before I order them?

JeffMo likes this.
  20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

One of Simple Minds greatest ever songs is an instrumental.....

Dave 81828384 and Neonbeam like this.
  21. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I agree exactly with you, I view Sons/Sisters their masterpiece, and NGD a great though more refined version.

There are other songs that I think are more radio-friendly - but I find "This Earth That You Walk Upon" stops me in my tracks every time. It has such a sparse, spacey atmosphere. And it shows their creativity that the group came up with their parts one after the other to it rather than jamming it out. This and "Theme For Great Cities" were landmarks in electronic music as the human rhythm section is so integral, and along with "I Travel", they proved hugely influential.

Galactus2 and DTK like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I would argue that any of the 9 songs from NGD are candidates, but I will cast a vote for my two faves:

Hunter and the Hunted
    King is White and in the Crowd

morgan1098 likes this.
  23. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

davers and JeffMo like this.
  24. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

You're certainly entitled to your own opinions, so instead of telling you that you're wrong, I'll simply share my thoughts on the albums you mentioned since they are my all-time favorite band:

Real Life - solid effort. Tough for them to get over the loss of Mick, but the title cut is the perfect example of what they call "Big music." It's what separates them from standard rock bands. "See The Lights" is one of their best-ever singles, and "Stand By Love" just rocks.
    Good News From the Next World - a real "rock" record. I like it a lot, but generally stick to only about half of the songs. Standout cuts are "And The Band Played On" and "She's A River," but I prefer the latter in its edited form for the single. It's much more "immediate" sounding than the album version.
    Neapolis - decent, and it was great having Peter Walsh and Derek involved again, but it ranks closer to the bottom of their overall catalogue for me. However, "War Babies" is absolutely incredible and I think it would make the perfect opening song for a movie.
    Cry - I love the title track, and "Spaceface." The rest is just OK.
    Black & White 050505 - to me, this was a "comeback" album for them after the lackluster era that covers Our Secrets Are The Same, Neon Lights, and Cry. "Home" is a song I can never play just once, but much like "She's A River," is preferable in its edited single form. Sometimes, Jim and Charlie need an editor. Also, the version of "Jeweler..." smokes the original on Our Secrets...
    Graffiti Soul - an admirable follow-up to Black & White 050505 but not as good. "Rockets" was a ho-hum choice for first single. "Stars Will Lead The Way" is much better. The accompanying covers album that came with it (called Searching For The Lost Boys) is an OK listen, but I felt one album of covers was already enough.
    Big Music - love it, even though, as others have said, it sound more like a collection of songs they banked over the years as opposed to a cohesive album.
    Walk Between Worlds - still waiting on Amazon! I'll let you know on Friday, the expected delivery date.
    "Promised You A Miracle." I've played it a million times and not only do I never get tired of it, but it still inspires me every time I hear it. A song to blast loud in the car. I know it's one of their hits and that I'd get much more respect if I listed an album track, but it's like with Tears For Fears - I own everything by them, and I believe The Hurting is their best album, but I absolutely love "Everybody Wants To Rule The World," and I still go nuts for it like I did on day 1.

davers, fsutall and Havoc like this.
  25. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Brilliant post and as usual, I could have just about written it. I'm more enthusiastic about Neapolis than most, it's just a vibrant album, bristling with unique sounds......nothing else sounds like it. Cry has grown on me for the better over the years, much less a SM album than something patched together by the guys with their electro music pals in Italy, I'm wondering if you can't sign up for the streaming service on Amazon as a trial and listen to WBW a bit sooner. I'm really liking it, I have to listen to it from front to back to appreciate some of the lesser known tracks but in the context of the album I like them very much. A winner.

EWTRTW? My favorite TFF song by a long haul, it brings back some terrific memories of working at Togo's in the SF Bay Area during that summer, going to endless swim practice and then stealing away to Santa Cruz every chance I got to "catch a wave". The song worked perfect.

Surly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.