The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

"...as terminally sick as Bill was (don't let anyone kid you), his playing is beautiful to the most superhuman level"

I wanted to use that expression before, but thought others would say I was exaggerating. But that is exactly what I feel about those performances.
    Thank you for writing it.

rxcory and vegafleet like this.
  2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Has anyone made contact with Todd Barkan of Keystone Korner? Or is there any document where he spoke about the staff, the equipment and the anecdote of the final gigs? It would be great testimony.

rxcory likes this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I mostly listen to his 70s albums.

I Will Say Goodbye
    You Must Believe In Spring
    Blue In Green
    Since We Met

and Waltz For Debby from the 60s.

5. Yesternow

I'm getting comfortable and ready to press play on this "last trio" classic:
    [​IMG]

6. Yesternow

10 minutes break, toast, butter, black tea refill... and back in business with part2 of this wonderful concert:
    [​IMG]
    "Re: Person I Knew" - always a favorite.

7. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I Dig Bill Evans just started playing on my CD changer when I saw this thread for the first time. I’ll take that as a good sign and look forward to following this thread throughout the year as I explore more of his great work.

Yesternow likes this.
  8. Yesternow

So I guess his first trio is still the most common choice, right!?

Although I love the records that trio made I tend to go with the "last trio" as my favorite unit.

The guys on the first trio were challenging, on the last more supporting. (IMO).

Do you also favor the trios ? Other than the first/last ?
    Other type of units ?

Note: check page 2 for post with all trios.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    ausgraeme and teag like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not sure there is a trio I don't like. But if I had to choose what LPs I like best it is the Riverside releases. Explorations, Waltz for Debbie, Moonbeams, VV, etc. I have the 45rpm box and it is superb - the performances and the sound quality.

If I absolutely had to pick a trio it would be Lafarro/Motion/Bill. I know that may be typical but I think they are the best, but not by much. The trio from the recent releases (France and Germany recordings) are fantastic. I just prefer Bill's playing earlier in his career. I have The Last Waltz box which is his last recordings right before his death. He seems like a man on a mission on that set. It gets to me every time.

Korato69, rxcory, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Scott Lafaro was such an amazing bass player that few could stand up to comparison with and Paul Motian was one the premier drummers in jazz so I would have to give them the nudge for top rhythm section although the Marc Johnson/Joe LaBarbera was a close second. I'm not one to rank or rate musicians but some things can't be ignored. Having said that, if someone chose MJ/JL as Bill's best rhythm section I wouldn't protest. :targettiphat:

Yesternow likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'll agree with Bill himself. He said his very last trio, from 1980, was the pinnacle.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

They were good for sure.

I wonder if he said this about other trios in different times...

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Probably, but "the last word" was the definitive version.

As far as LaFaro goes, he sure was incredible, but he represented just one way of playing the bass. Many of his contemporaries were equally great, though they approached the bass in different ways.

Yesternow likes this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting. Who were these contemporaries?

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is one (of many): Richard Davis. An astoundingly musical bassist with an entirely different approach than LaFaro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frangelico and jay.dee like this.
  16. Yesternow

Going to play this one tonight:
    [​IMG]
    Quiet, late, night, headphones... Bill Evans' albums sound perfect in those conditions.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A very profound album. Many will say Bill knew his time was short.

JazzFanatic and Yesternow like this.
  18. Yesternow

If you say that about "I will say goodbye" what would you say regarding the overall feeling on "You must believe in spring" (recorded a few months later) ?

19. Vdigital

Vdigital Well-Known Member

anyone saw the Bruce Spiegel documentary and opinions?

20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I also saw Evans said that, but Artists tend to say their favorite group or album is the current one, I dont take much stock in that.

I always think the last trio is overly frenetic, especially bills playing at the end. The beauty and grace of some of the ballads especially is lost, and power of silence/long notes is basically thrown out the window imo.

COCAINE IS A HELLUVA DRUG

21. Yesternow

I respectfully have to disagree with you:
    I find the last trio the least frenetic. And also think that on that period his playing was more contemplative than ever.

Different opinions are most welcome on this thread.

Mugrug12 and ausgraeme like this.
  22. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Interesting. Any examples you could illustrate that with?

Here is my romance from the first trio

Here is my romance played by the last trio

Bill Evans Trio - Rome 1979 - My Romance

Check out the intros, for a Start. Which one is frenetic and overplayed and which one seems introspective to you? Obviously I ask w respect, and all in good fun.

Dave

23. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's quite good for the most part. I didn't do the download--waited for the DVD. Will I ever play it a second time? Probably not, but definitely worth watching.

JazzFanatic and Vdigital like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I agree. LaFaro could be pretty busy but I like his playing a lot which is why I prefer the first trio (just a little). Johnson/LaBarbera were easily my second favorite rhythm section though I have really been enjoying the recent releases with Eddie Gomez/Jack DeJohnette by Resonance.

vegafleet and Yesternow like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As far as the great Bill Evans rhythm sections, hard to argue with LaFaro/Motian and Johnson/LaBarbera. A lesser known trio I like is 1963 to 65 with Chuck Israels and Larry Bunker.

Yesternow likes this.