What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm currently on a bit of a treasure hunt. I've been looking for a copy of the album "Puzzle" by Dada on vinyl. I know at least one exists and was sold on ebay within the past few years, but have no idea how many were made/if any more are out there.

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences.

What's your elusive record?

2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Ebony Expressions - Farewell My Love. The band's from Cincinnati, which piqued my interest since it's my hometown. I've seen just one copy on eBay, and another on Discogs. The Discogs one was very cheap, but it was so badly warped that I didn't bother to buy it. Hopefully I'll find it one day.

As for CD's, my holy grail is the first West German pressing of Rush's Signals with the Green Arrow design. Ditto for Moving Pictures. I also want to find Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows on 8-track, but I'm guessing only 1 or 2 exist at this point.

3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Oh there are a few-Alone With No Love[The Contemplations]..Please Baby Please[The Realistics]..Crying Won't Help You Now[Clyde McPhatter].

troggy likes this.
  4. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

There's a King Records LP that had Rhythm & Blues artists covering Country & Western songs. At least two tracks I've heard; Freddy King "Remington Ride" and Johnny "Guitar" Watson "Cold Cold Heart."

It was referenced in the liner notes to a CD release, that I now forget...

5. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

King Records are among the most notorious items in all of collector-dom. I'm absolutely convinced owner Sid Nathan rarely had albums pressed over a certain miniscule number, and then they weren't allowed more than two or three months to sell before he deleted them. Reissues are few and far between, and the budget line he created known as Audio Lab? Forget it....that one's even worse. Like many, I wouldn't have minded of course if it were cheap big band ripoffs we're speaking of, but nope....he just had to embrace the energy & talent of Rhythm & Blues & Country/Western music. Based on the way he treated the fans and buyers of his artists, I honestly think he looked down on both fields in the 1950's, nothing more than "the great unwashed" to be exploited & milked for money.

6. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

Beatles White Album in mono (on vinyl).

Searching for best part of 30 years for one.

I even dream about when I do find it: it’s a stereo sleeve but the actual records inside that top loader are in mono!

Rickchick, lemonade kid, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

The Turtles- Shell Shock, a Rhino Records 80s release.

t-man 54 and cwitt1980 like this.
  8. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

It's not a record but a promo CD
    "Weathervane" by Weathervane
    Love that song and would like to have it in FLAC quality.

9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I'm guessing you're talking in the US? They're pretty easy to find here in the UK.

As for me, ever since my wife got on the vinyl bug too, shes been after a copy of Beck's Midnite Vultures on vinyl. Here's hoping to a re-press soon...

ODShowtime likes this.
  10. Vdigital

Vdigital Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Servants ‎– Disinterest
    Label:
    Paperhouse Records ‎– PAPCD 05 1990
    This is the band where Luke Haines of the Auteurs started
    I don't know if it is any good ... but am very curious to find out

11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Care Of Cell 44 b/w Maybe After He's Gone by the Zombies on the red Columbia label.

BryanW, agundy, cwitt1980 and 2 others like this.
  12. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

Nah, in Australia.

Aftermath and FJFP like this.
  13. An early Canadian Rush 45 - Return Of The Prince/I Think I'm Going Bald

Never seen anything other than the Discogs entry.
    [​IMG]

M321115, ODShowtime, marklamb and 8 others like this.
  14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Probably "Top Rhythm & Blues Artists do the Greatest Country Songs" (King 884) - but it does not appear to include Johnny "Guitar" Watson's 'Cold Cold Heart' which was issued on a 45.
    Various - Top Rhythm & Blues Artists Do The Greatest Country Songs
    Johnny Watson - Cold, Cold Heart

15. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Misa Espiritual by Airto Moreira with Gil Evans on Harmonia Mundi.

crispi likes this.
  16. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

a friend of mine found one last year at a local flea market (he actually doesn't collect vinyl, only Beatles memorabilia, and had no idea it was a rare record) , records were in good shape, cover a bit tatty, he paid € 2

17. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

jsayers and Dan Steely like this.
  18. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Follow up question: how much $$ would you pay to get your hands on it?

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Remember. He pressed and kept in the catalog what sold. Since he was a vertical manufacturer, he recorded in his own studios, mastered his own discs, plated and pressed his own discs. He could do this. He pressed very small quantities of records, and if it got response, he pressed and sold more. That's how he could and did afford to stay in business. Many small labels which got a big hit, that hit and the expenses of pressing those million copies, is what sank said label. Syd Nathan was a good businessman. But he also wasn't dependent on outside vendors to make records.

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin II - mastered by Rob Ludwig!

21. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

I have looked for a copy of Rick Dufay's "Tender Loving Abuse" for ages with no luck at all. Rick was Brad Whitford's replacement in Aerosmith when he left the band during the recording of their 1982 album "Rock in a Hard Place" and played with them until the reunion of the original band in 1984. Rick made this one solo album prior to joining Aerosmith. It was produced by Aerosmith producer Jack Douglas, hence the connection. I'm not expecting anything great from it, but as a massive fan of classic Aerosmith, I'm kind of a completest/nerd. Not only have I never found a vinyl copy (I don't think it was ever released on any other format), I can't even find a ripped digital copy or bootleg. It's frustrated me for years!!!! If anyone has any info on it, you can feel free to private message me! Ha!! Good luck on your quests, everyone!

Same goes for the other replacement member Jimmy Crespo's non Aerosmith recorded output with his old band Flame or post Aerosmith album with Adam Bomb, but for some reason, I'm most stuck on the Dufay album.

M321115 and Fullbug like this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Polynesian Paradise by Phil Moore, on the Strand label.
    Provocatif by John McFarland, on United Artists.

McLover and phillyal1 like this.
  23. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

24. I didn't quibble about paying $40 for Puzzle as I assumed that I may never see another copy! (And haven't!) I have been looking for the "Brother" album by the band "Cry of Love". They come up once and a great while on ebay, but so far I have bee outbid on them. I did get the "Arc Angels" self titled album eventually after a long search. (Not Arcangels that is easily found)

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John Denver Farewell Andromeda Japanese Pressing CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.