Rock Candy Records re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jan 1, 2018.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I will say Beast From The East is good for the extra tracks, but it is on the HOT side.

patient_ot and lenny nero like this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes unfortunately Pearce didn't do that one. The original CD was pretty wimpy even when cranked so pick your poison I guess.

3. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Interestingly enough thats the only rock candy I actually own!

Pretty awesome album. Sykes!

Curveboy likes this.
  4. bartels76

Aww man. I should've picked up Blue Murder.

Curveboy and Leo Lyons like this.
  5. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Is it outta print?

6. bartels76

It's still available but it's like $ 20.

Leo Lyons likes this.
  7. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The Sea Hags was one of the more bizarre gigs I ever attended!

Queezma, Leo Lyons and Greenalishi like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

What a singer!

I possibly, just, prefer When Seconds Count, if only for man Against The World.

Rock Candy also do both Target albums & Cobra's only effort, so if you haven't done so already, you can check out Jimi's blues/rock roots.

My opinion? All worth listening to. Target better than Cobra. Survivor better than Target.

altaeria, Leo Lyons and Greenalishi like this.
  10. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

I have the Orig CD but, I'm open to upgrade if better? I loved Blue Murder's debut!Did Pearce work on this one possibly? It seems to be the thumbs up pattern so far on this thread. I noticed the Badlands CDs had Pearce's name (with some one else) for master credits. I have the Originals of those as well .......I only have the Zebra Debut & montrose on RC.

Leo Lyons likes this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Leo Lyons likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I always thought the original CD was really, really thin...I'm not sure if I have this out or packed away. I will try and remember to check the credits when I get home if it's readily available. I just remember getting the RC version and going "oh, THIS is how it's supposed to sound."

Natvecal. likes this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Here were my notes from the RATT thread:

I thought Rock Candy did a great job on the Badlands discs, and Blue Murder was a huge improvement over the rather thin and distant sounding original pressing. But the Dokken's (at least Tooth & Nail and Under Lock & Key, I didn't bother with Breakin' The Chains) are very squashed. For instance, on the song "Lightning Strikes Again" there is a drum roll near the end with Don screaming over it, and there is just no headroom or dynamics to it. The original CD isn't great, but it still sounds better.

I only got Dancin' Undercover, as that is by far my favorite RATT disc...now, it does sound better than the Dokken stuff did, but I don't think it's quite as good as the original pressing (which was pretty good to begin with.)
    Still, if you are an uberfan the liner notes were great...and if you don't already own it it's a great late 80's metal disc.

Queezma, Natvecal. and carlwm like this.
  14. Natvecal.

Appreciate it. BTW, can relate as I have many CDs packed away too and can be....challenging to find ha ha! So, I go by a lot of "Off the top of my head" memories and often get corrected by some one on the SHMF for my laziness :doh:

Curveboy likes this.
  15. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Has anyone got the King Kobra or Michael Bolton offerings?

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've got King Kobra's Thrill Of A Lifetime. Sounds fine. Fresher than my original vinyl.

Not bothered with Everybody's Crazy. Back in the day I hunted high & low for it, having really enjoyed both Blackjack & Michael's self-titled record, & when I finally found it, it turned out to be the very worst kind of AOR by numbers. Don't understand its reputation at all.

Leo Lyons likes this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

King Kobras are terrible

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well I hate to say his name but Jon Astley did the Blue Murder remaster but I stick to my guns that it's better than the original.

Natvecal. likes this.
  19. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I want to mention that the RC remaster of Streets' second album (Crimes in Mind) has the exact same DR values as the Wounded Bird reissue. Not sure if they're 100 percent identical since I don't own the WB CD. The RC version was mastered by Andy Pearce if that helps.

Does anyone have RC's Strangeways remasters? I wanted to pick them up, but I need to make sure Jon Astley didn't do the mastering.

Jimmy Agates and Natvecal. like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nope. First 2 albums with 80s mastering - nothing wrong with those IMHO. Can be picked up cheaply. I'd skip the compressed RC versions, personally.

Galley likes this.
  21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Anyone have the two FM releases - Tough It Out and Indiscreet from Rock Candy? I am interested in these for the bonus tracks, especially the extended versions of a few songs.

Pat

22. Ten Years Gone

Ten Years Gone Forum Resident

As already mentioned, the Andy Pearce stuff is pretty good. I have both Badlands and both Circus of Power albums and they sound good. As for the Astley stuff, I have the Zodiac Mindwarp reissue because it has a ton of bonus tracks, and it’s difficult to listen to (partly due to the production). I also have Dokken’s Back for the Attack because they tacked on the title track. It’s pretty hot with increased midrange and treble. It’s decent if I tame the highs a bit, but my original Japan CD is much smoother and warmer.
    I also just picked up the new Malice- License to Kill (another Astley job) and it’s pretty similar to the Dokken...with some EQ fiddling, it’s tolerable. That particular album is hard to find in its original form for a decent price.

Leo Lyons, Curveboy and Natvecal. like this.
  23. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Nice, some good info to go off of on here.

Who are the mastering artists to avoid?

Does the promotional material cite the masterer?

24. Natvecal.

Jon Astley it seems so far(avoid?) and Andy Pearce good results? If I'm getting everyone's put correct?:shrug:

Agree .Good info so far.:righton:

Curveboy and Leo Lyons like this.
  25. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Yes, but there are exceptions. I don't care for the mastering job on Praying Mantis' Time Tells No Lies, which is credited to Pearce but doesn't really sound like anything else he's done in recent years. I generally really like Pearce's work too.