Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

...yep. let's run with this theory

Purple Jim likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Don't know about forgetting about it after lunch but he sure was out to lunch if this is a deliberate mix :)

I think we can find other examples of Jimi's heavy handed approach when sitting behind the mixing desk too, maybe not officially released tho'.

3. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Personally I like the Crash Landing version the most! Engineer Ron Saint Germain (together with Tony Bongiovi?) really brought out all kinds of very intricate details, that I really love. Jimi's and Eddie's mix from August 1970 makes too much use of double tracking to my taste. Just my humble opinion :shrug:I'm glad this version was released, though. You can never hear too many alternative mixes of Jimi's work, they are all interesting.

As a matter of fact, there is an intro on this version I would love to hear in better quality. Unfortunately the master tapes probably went missing when Alan Douglas decided to butcher them up during the production of the infamous Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning LPs. I have old magazines dating from circa 1975 somewhere in my attic in which Douglas described how they cut and pasted Jimi's original masters to do his "magic".

DTK and Gordon Johnson like this.
  4. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Jimi probably lunched sitting behind the mixing console ;)

5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Have you heard it already?

Agreed! :righton:

kees1954 likes this.
  6. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

This version was already released sometime ago as the B-side of a promo 45 rpm. Can't remember which from the top of my head. It was referred to earlier in this long and winding thread (#1535).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

The vinyl 7" b-side version was mixed by Jimi and Bob Hughes in February 1970.
    The version on the forthcoming Both Sides album is the one mixed by Jimi and Eddie in August 1970.

Purple Jim and kees1954 like this.
  8. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

The excerpts on a recent Eddie Kramer promo radio spot sounded the same as the b-side version. I would love it when they turn out to be different.

9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think part of the confusion about it stems from the first time Midnight Lightning was released in any form, it was the Isle of Wight version, which is the Midnight Lightning music with the Keep On Grooving lyrics and the line “Midnight Lightning striking down”. The original version of the AD ML doesn’t have any Grooving lyrics and LA doesn’t have any ML lyrics. Maybe he was going to try to merge them together the studio once he got back.

DTK and Purple Jim like this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

Power of Soul; Both Sides Of The Sky.
    The version that appears on this upcoming release was recorded 21st January 1970 with overdubs from the 3rd February 1970.
    This is a new mix [hence a new Ben Franklin number of (57)]. It is a new mix of (36) and as you know (36) mix appears on CRASH LANDING.

From what i hear, we now have some of Jimi's guitar more forward in the mix.

The liner notes claim this mix was prepared by Jimi and Eddie on the 22nd August 1970. note is made of the [still] missing pieces that Alan Douglas physically edited from the master tape for Crash Landing.

dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. John Harchar

So far this is the most complete version out there. If this had a little echo and reverb, it’d be perfect

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  12. John Harchar

To paraphrase Richard Jordan in Hunt for Red October “Alan...you chopped apart ANOTHER master tape?”

Depending on what’s missing, looks like I’ll be doing some editing of my own...

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I prefer that to the SSD and 7" B-side.
    I have that but does anyone know what bootlegs it appeared on?

14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Wait - this mix should not have any missing parts because the mix was prepared in 1970, correct? It's not a new 2017 mix?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

That excerpt DOES sound similar...

16. John Harchar

The one I have it from is Crash Lansing Unreleased Version.

17. Gordon Johnson

Its a new mix, clearly made post Douglas butchery :)

18. John Harchar

If the BF Studios info is right, Jimi and Eddie did their mix, but when Alan got that tape, he edited pieces out of that. Considering it’s almost six minutes, I would guess the missing parts are background vocals and overdubs

19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

So the vinyl Bside of the single version mixed in Feb 70 would have the missing parts that were cut out of the August mix by Douglas?

20. John Harchar

Possibly, but we don’t know exactly which parts are missing yet. He may have mixed things down from the Feb mix that AD snipped from the August mix. Once it’s out we can compare all three (or four if you want to use the CL version) to see what has which part and compare to the bootleg

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Quoting my own post because I don't know how simpler I need to be on what appears to a confusing point!

Alan Douglas either personally or on his authority had the MASTER tapes cut. In other words the tape was cut into pieces. Physically removing parts of the MASTER tape. Its not about removing recorded tracks at all, backing vocal etc. The pieces cut from the MASTER tape are still missing, presumed binned ............... sweeping up the pieces of yesterday!!!

As much as I like / liked Alan, this is unforgivable by any standard. Follow this up with the removal of original musicians to be replaced by others [for no other reason than to profit from credits] just puts the icing on the cake. But no matter what we feel about Alan and his releases, it changes nothing regard the fact that the MASTER tapes have sections missing and so can't be considered for mixing for any release.

23. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

^
    So you just can´t believe everything you see and hear, can you...?

(regarding when the versions of Power Of Soul was mixed)

kees1954 likes this.
  24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

So let's be even clearer- the 8 track or 16 track master? Or the Aug 70 Hendrix supervised stereo mix master? Because if it's the multitrack then the Aug 70 mix should have no missing parts that were not intended to be missing by Jimi.

kees1954 likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As did the version on South Saturn Delta! So do we presume that the BSOTS version will be the same as that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.