Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Don't expect it to be much different from the two released "complete" versions. One of many underwhelming inclusions . Always liked the delay in the intro actually. :)

jhm, Matthew Tate and kees1954 like this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

We’lll know for sure in a month!...I hope.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Lou, not sure why you want to introduce words or detail to this? Stereo, 8 track, 16 track? Meaningless and you appear to be confusing yourself.

The original recording with added overdubs [add the dates from earlier posts] formed the MASTER tape.

At some point in the 70's Alan Douglas supervised the chopping up of the MASTER tape from this date(s) (again, the same dates from earlier posts).

That MASTER tape has missing sections, these appear to have been binned as they have never shown up since! Subsequently missing sections cannot be mixed as they don't exist!!

Of course, Jimi had no say in this process because he was dead! That aside, who in their right mind would cut / wipe or in any other way destroy original master recordings. By all means, make a copy master and edit / butcher / make a bow of it, to your hearts content. At least that leaves the original MASTER in one piece.

Pete Puma and davenav like this.
  4. John Harchar

It’s bad enough he did it with Power and Message (and Lord knows anything else), but the story is he’d also cut the original film negative to Woodstock!

dee, jhm and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I didn't know the delay on "Power of Soul" was disliked
    by so many people. I personally like it. It gives the song
    character and makes it significantly different than the
    live version on the Band Of Gypsys album.

dee, jhm, Cokelike- and 3 others like this.
  6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I’m guessing that Lou’s point is that any chopping of the MASTER tape (8 or 16 track) would have no effect on the mixed two tracks from February or August, and any release that claims to be from either of those vintage mixes would be unaffected by AD’s knife.

Billy_Sunday and Chris M like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I always preferred the studio versions of Message of Love and Power of Soul to the (vert good) live counterparts. Think Jimi really hit on something there; slick, funky, soulish uptempo tunes that could have had a lot of potential on black radio stations.

8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Exactly. If on the other hand AD cut up the master stereo mix, then the multi tracks would still have the missing sections.

9. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Sorry if this is an obvious question but is there another version of Who Knows besides the live BOG? This song has the most killer opening riff I think its the best opening to any record live or studio

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe they rehearsed it at the Baggy's rehearsals. However, it wasn't included on the Dagger release.

jhm likes this.
  11. Gordon Johnson

The version of this track on the upcoming release is a NEW MIX. So how can "mixed two tracks" have any bearing here?

The fact is and if you don't get it now you probably never will, the MASTER tape has sections removed. Gone!

If you stop side tracking yourselves and trying to make things fit your way of thinking you might get a handle on this.

So skip "stereo", "8 and 16 track", "mixed two tracks" and think MASTER. MASTER chopped. Master incomplete. New mix from incomplete MASTER.

I will correct something from an earlier post for those of you who "do" FTBFS.

(36) is the basic take that delivered (37). (37) was the shorter version that appeared on Crash Landing.
    This new mix (57) runs 5:56 against the listed time of 5:48 for (36).
    (36) has only appeared on collectors disc's or boot; Paper Airplanes for example.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

The term "master" is ambigous. A master can be a multi-track "master" tape, or a "master" stereo/mono mixdown (made from the unmixed multi-track "master") considered for pressing & release.

"For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970."
    So we're not getting a new 2017 mix here, but a vintage 1970 mix - no Alan Douglas edits either, since AD edited the multi-tracks of the master take and clearly did not work with the stereo mixdown.

13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

There is a boot called Before The Fillmore that has a version.
    Its also from the Baggys rehearsals and has an intro that was discarded before BOG played the shows.

14. Gordon Johnson

This from my post #1612 contains a typo, my apologies!
    "So skip "stereo", "8 and 16 track", "mixed two tracks" and think MASTER. MASTER chopped. Master incomplete. New mix from incomplete MASTER".

Of course it should read, So skip "stereo", "8 and 16 track", "mixed two tracks" and think MASTER. MASTER chopped. Master incomplete. New mix from complete MASTER.
    Of course, reading my other earlier posts would have made this clear if any doubt to readers.

When I use the word "new" it is in reference to a new to us mix and not a new as in 2017 mix! Hence the new BFS number.
    It is a new entry to the long list of this track.

There is no ambiguity to the word "master". The master is the master unless it is preceded by mixed / eq'd mixed etc which then presents us with a different thing altogether.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I am now thoroughly confused as to what version of "Power Of Soul" will be included here, because the press release indicates it is not previously unreleased, and you people (who seem to know what version it is even though it's not out yet) talk about something that is previously unreleased.

If it's neither the version from South Saturn Delta or the one from the B-side of "Somewhere", and if it's not previously unreleased, then where has it been released? The only other released (studio) version is the one on Crash Landing, is that what they refer to?

It wouldn't make sense to repeat the one on South Saturn Delta (since it's, like, already available on South Saturn Delta), but I really wouldn't mind getting the B-side one (and in fact all vinyl only tracks) in digital mediums. If not as part of the main program of releases then just tag them on as bonus tracks somewhere.

Freek999 and EVOLVIST like this.
  16. I'll be bold and ask, does anybody have a lossless version of "Power of Soul" from the 7" b-side? I have the single, but no way of playing it. I bought it on Discogs to have a friend of mine needledrop it, but now my "friend" wants to charge to do needledrops, so as a matter of principle, I'm just not shelling out the money. I've never heard that one. What a shame.

(I also bought Prince's Sign 'o' the Times LP, mastered by Kevin Gray, to needledrop, but I'm not paying $85 for this guy to do a double LP.)

Billy_Sunday and dee like this.
  17. John Harchar

The short answer would seem to be it's an extended edition (around 30 seconds longer) of the one on SSD, at least that's how EH looks at it.

dee likes this.
  18. John Harchar

Doesn't sound like a friend! :D My turntable is around 30 years old at this point and the band is loose, so everything plays slow. What I end up doing is recording it into my computer, pop it into the Final Cut editing program and speed it up. It'll do in a pinch to hear it, but it's not very good. I'd prefer to have it in a digital version.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Yeah...it does seem strange that Hendrix would pick 'Izabella' and 'Stepping Stone' for the single release when he was 'supposedly' trying to reach out more to the 'black' audience.
    I have it in FLAC ...will post it in private conversation to see it that works.

DTK and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Would that have been the first single Hendrix actually picked himself? Chas Chandler probably had the final say in the 1967 singles, maybe the label did in 1968? Hendrix doesn't strike me as a "singles" kind of artist, much like Dylan, so their choices might have been a bit off?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Picture Snatcher

Izabella's pretty funky

dee, jhm and DTK like this.
  22. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Not previously unreleased... isnt that not a double negative. I dont not understand it....

Yep... Im confused too. All I know is, its gonna have the delay...and i dont not like it.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. Picture Snatcher

I like the delay. A lot of the different recordings for songs from this time lack any kind of experimentation. First Rays/Cry/Rainbow, I mean you listen to those songs it sounds nothing like a Hendrix record. It's missing the textures and soundscapes from the 3 Experience records. I wonder how many tracks of this kind of stuff was actually peeled off to make those songs sound cleaner for posthumous releases?

dee likes this.
  24. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Is it love...or confusion...?
    I don´t really know when the Power Of Soul versions were mixed anymore, maybe the official credits can´t be trusted.

Anyway, I´m looking forward to Both Sides Of The Sky! :righton:

dee and kees1954 like this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

I think doubting the information from the liner notes before you have opportunity to read them for yourself and hear the music for yourself is far from helpful! To yourself that is ;)

As I made a few error in posting yesterday and got pulled into a silly debate [my own fault for posting the comment about the cut master, added only as the post was really aimed at one member here, they know who they are :wave:] here we go again to attempt to pull the information into one post before I get on with my day.

So in a nut shell and of course you can doubt this as much as you like or, read whatever you want into the post, add or remove parts to confuse yourself to your hearts content. Here is what I know from what I'm informed.

Power of Soul (57). Yes a NEW number for the Ben Franklin system which makes for a new [to us] mix.
    That's mix and not new to us track, take or whatever. So I doubt many of us have yet to hear it making speculative opinion irrelevant!
    PoS (57) is a new [to us] mix of (36). (36), old mix appears on bootleg and collectors sets [Paper Airplanes for one instance if your looking]. Times listed vary between (36) and (57) with the latter from BSoTS running a few seconds longer. To confuse some a little more (37) which appears on Crash Landing is an edited version of (36), very truncated in fact!
    The new [to us] mix now has guitars more up front in parts, most noticeable at points 1:07 / 2:05.

The original take was recorded at the Record Plant [RP] 21st January 1970 with overdubs added 3rd February of the same year again at RP. The mix was done at Electric Lady Studios [ELS] on the 22nd August 1970 by Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Kramer.

I wont mention that the liner notes also contain comment regard the cut MASTER tape because that simply confuses even more.:hide: But I will add that by master I mean master and not [something] master!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.