Films on DVD that now differ on Blu-ray release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NightGoatToCairo, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up Michael Mann's 'Heat' today on BD. I've just read online that he's tinkered with the original version, so might hang on to my DVD copy. Any other examples?

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Arrow UK's initial release of Thief on bluray had the original version on a second disc.

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

The Marx Brothers "Animal Crackers", which has been restored with about 90 seconds of censored footage that has been missing since the 1930's...only available on Blu-ray in the recent Marx Paramount films box set....

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Almost every Michael Mann film has been tinkered with....by Michael Mann
    Get the UK version on dvd of last of the Mohicans cause its the superior Theatrical Cut
    Thief theatrical Cut on Blu Ray is on Arrow Video
    Manhunter theatrical cut is here
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BE7JGQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Do Tha Right Thing has an entirely different (wrong) color temperature.

AndrewS and Deaf_in_ LA_1974 like this.
  6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

George Lucas is working on changing the blu-ray while you are watching it.

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Didn't Peter Jackson do this to the first Lord Of The Rings movie?

8. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Is this topic about different edits? Or different mastering choices? If it's mastering, this will be the longest thread on the forum.

jsayers and Quadboy like this.
  9. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Whenever there is a real time edit,
    Jar Jar Binks pops up and says ‘Meesa Say George not likin’ dis scene fo SHORE!’

paulisdead and Keith V like this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Outsiders - the of DVD is the theatrical version. When they did the Blu-Ray Coppola re-edited it and changed the music. Which would have been fine if they had included the original version but they didn't. So hold onto your DVD if you upgrade.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

link? or what did he tinker? that stinker!

12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm assuming A.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture comes to mind as "The Director's Edition" is still stuck on DVD and so is the extended cut of Undiscovered Country.

13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'm Peter Jackson, and the above post is 100% correct. :D
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, scobb, Vidiot and 4 others like this.
  14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I prefer the original theatrical cut of Dumb & Dumber that is on the DVD to the cut on the blu-ray. I haven't purchased the blu-ray of FRIDAY, but I think it may be a similar situation.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Blu-ray of LAST OF THE MOHICANS is a mess. Too dark and abridging at least one exchange of important dialogue. Why it was edited down, I have no idea.

alexpop likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Amadeus isn't available in the Theater Cut on BluRay. Only the longer and inferior Director's Cut.

17. Strat-Mangler

Although there is another BluRay version available (thankfully!), I don't think it gets any ugly than what they did with The Predator.

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Deaf_in_ LA_1974 like this.
  18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

In almost every case where I had the DVD and later the blu-ray,the BR was a signifcant in picture and sound quality. I'm thinkng of examples like "North by Northwest", "Apocalypse Now". "Goodfellas", "Sweet Smell of Success", "The Manchurian Candidate", "His Girl Friday". I DO read reviews in many cases before purchasing.

jsayers likes this.
  19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

The original DVD release of "Heaven's Gate" (the bare-bones, non-anamorphic MGM disc) has the color timing of the cinema release print.
    The Criterion BR, which Cimino supervised, has what is considered his intended choice of color and look. They couldn't be more different.

The MGM has the sepia-look, which actually does look good in many scenes; the Criterion has a more neutral palette that lets many details shine through.

I'm glad I kept the MGM for reference; that is now the only copy around of how the film looked in release (apart from any laser discs or film prints that may be extant.)
    (For everything that went down with "HG" and Cimino's career, I am glad that he had a chance to sit in and do over his big film before he died. At least he had that.)

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good thing to hold onto your dvds ( if you have space that is ) as they're practically worthless now. A nice DVD library is a good option as quite a few titles are yet to grace the blu ray format.And unless the film compliments a blu ray transfer I'll no doubt hold on to the DVDs.

lance b and Claus LH like this.
  21. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I am now at the stage of comparing which DVDs to keep.
    Some, like the "HG" MGM disc, are obvious, but others I really don't need if the cut is exactly the same and the BR is otherwise well-done. Then the DVDs just take up space.
    As you said, things that have never come out on BR and may never do so...that's different. I have a number of such discs that will stay on the shelf.

Even the BFI bit the bullet a few years ago when the ambitious Ozu re-release project only managed to put out the major works on BR. After that, three 3-film boxes appeared with earlier, not-quite restored works...only on DVD. But that's ok. If it's a choice between never getting to see the films or only getting them on DVD, by all means, DVD it is.

22. Strat-Mangler

On the left, the disgusting Blu-ray of Aliens. On the right, the DVD.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scobb like this.
  23. NightGoatToCairo

Edits. Should have made that clearer.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

Not sure yet. Will let you know once I've watched it.

25. NightGoatToCairo

Heat is one of my all-time favourite films. Strange that I've never enjoyed another Michael Mann movie other than The Insider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.