Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

lenny nero likes this.
  2. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

What do you guys think of this album? It's a pretty big favorite of mine and I haven't found many people who have listened to it.

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

Unique sounding for sure. I can see how it finds favour.

[​IMG]

Full Album Stream: Ataraxy – “Where All Hope Fades” at Decibel. I'll give it a full listen once then wait until I buy it. That's the plan anyway. https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/02/09/full-album-stream-ataraxy-hope-fades/

lenny nero likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Saw this in the post something random thread :D.

[​IMG]

mmthmj, stay crunchy and Dreadnought like this.
  5. Dreadnought

I just about gave up but indeed there is a panda in there. :)

Now playing this album. Brazilian Death Metal, how I missed thee. :cool:

lenny nero likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

[​IMG]

And along comes something that kicks me in the yarbles!

[​IMG]

fuzzface and lenny nero like this.
  7. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. lenny nero

9. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

So my buddy is always suggesting Black Metal bands and they always seem to be a bit too "kvlt" for me: totally obscure, screeching vocals, jackhammering blast beats, and all the production value of a baked potato. Well, after two weeks of straight up Morbid Angel worship, I finally got around to checking out Inquisition. Holy crap! This I LIKE! I've only seen them mentioned briefly on this thread, but I think they deserve a bit more attention. Apparently they're just two dudes that started out in Columbia and are now in the US. Guitar/vocals and drums...no bass player. Reminds me of Immortal (which I love!), but with stellar guitar work and some pretty killer drums. Their album titles are literally sentences, so check out "Bloodshed Across the Empyrean Alter Beyond the Celestial Zenith" and this one...

fuzzface and Dreadnought like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Not much of a cover. I don't remember the name but some album I listened to recently began with a blood curdling scream and my first thought was "that's me when the alarm clock goes off." :eek:

Waxfreak was a big fan. If he'd get himself back from exile. :waiting:

Listening to one full crackers, eccentric.
    [​IMG]
    Pvrvsha, by Mystagos

And one meaner than a junk yard dog.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.
  11. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

A big Hell Yeah! for Power Trip.

13. lenny nero

Listened to this one today

Dreadnought likes this.
  14. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

One of the most overrated black metal albums of this decade.

15. Dreadnought

Awwwww, but I like it. :) Well, specifically the clean vocals I like a lot. Gorgeous baritone.

[​IMG]
    :D

Speaking of differing opinions an essay at Heavy Blog caught my attention.
    Love Letter – Cobalt’s Gin
    Love Letter – Cobalt’s Gin

I only read the line that followed the prelude, "Cobalt‘s Gin destroyed me." and decided to listen to the album for the first time in a few years. I can't remember how I hooked up with Gin in 2009 but it was the opening track that had me buy the CD and pretty much the only thing I ever listened to from it. I now liked the second track also but after that not so much.

Man, I sure do like the essay though and wish it were true for me as it's the description of my perfect album. Cherry picking the choice bits:

"Some music affirms, guides, and abides in the spaces we keep most secret and sacred. Then there are those records or tracks that seem built exclusively to change our minds. More to the point, this type of music slaps our faces, sets fire to our expectations, shifts our awareness and opens our eyes to new realities both harsh and wonderful. Gin is the pinnacle of such musical vessels in my life, and one of the most influential and singularly fantastic black metal records of all-time."

"While the band has commonly been labeled as a black metal act, their forward-thinking songwriting tropes and fantastic musicianship stretch the moniker to its logical extreme. First seen in their sophomore record Eater of Birds, the band’s experimentation with black metal archetypes would come to its full fruition in Gin. Cobalt is a black metal band like Godzilla is a lizard, and Gin is a record like no other I have heard in my life. This elastic subgenre allegiance is in part what makes Cobalt such an influential band in black and extreme metal circles, and is most certainly what struck me so fiercely during my first encounter with Gin."

"As is custom with Cobalt, Gin follows the band’s traditional aesthetic by eschewing the occult/satanic philosophical underpinnings of the subgenre almost entirely. Instead of consecrating yet another album to the Dark Lord himself, Cobalt wrote an album dedicated to two of their strongest influences, American writers Ernest Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson. The lyrics paint bleak pictures of isolation, substance dependence, depression, nature’s violence, and decay. No corpse paint. No gimmicks. Just raw emotional carnage filtered through the prism of some pretty revolutionary music. And very good sounding revolutionary music at that. One of the most immediately noticeable differences between Cobalt and their black metal peers are the production values espoused, which are uniformly warm, full, and ferocious. The guitar tone, rather than frostbitten and played from a muffled bathroom in some mother’s basement, is a dynamic and fiery furnace given all the glory it could possibly need in a mix that allows every instrument the opportunity to be heard with startling clarity."

"After having grown into an appreciation for black metal with the classics from Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone and Bathory serving as my foundation to what this type of music was supposed to sound like, Cobalt completely deconstructed my perception of what black metal can and should be. It’s the Kid A of black metal records, a true game-changer deserving of every accolade it has received."

Too bad I only like the first two songs. I did start listening to their 2016 album Slow Forever, which I think is better, but damn if the Toolisms (as in the band Tool) drive me to distraction. From Undertow (1993) to Lateralus (2001) I hear these albums as if this is an alternative Tool album. Sure enough when I did read the Cobalt essay Tool get mentioned.

Song #1 The transition after 3:00 is what blew me away in 2009.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

Song #2. It does feel like an epic album is unfolding.

17. Dreadnought

Back to the future. One full play and this delightful deathly-ness is demanding a second hearing!

lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

No offense to whoever wrote that Cobalt essay, but it sure seems like they haven't listened to very much black metal at all. At least nothing after 2000. :)

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  19. Dreadnought

:agree: I know. I wish he were correct.

Damn, I am really into this Graceless album and keep hitting repeat on this gorgeously gloomy track with the sweet solo in the end. I don't remember seeing this on any year end lists. Yep, I'm buying it! Sumerian Flames, by graceless
    A few tasteful pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Getting all "Black Floyd" with "Obscured by Dark Nebula"

[​IMG]

Barnard 68 is a molecular cloud, dark absorption nebula or Bok globule within our own galaxy at a distance of about 400 light-years. In order for the cloud to become a star, gravity must gain the upper hand long enough to cause the collapse of the cloud and reach a temperature and density where fusion can be sustained. The cloud's mass is about twice that of the Sun, and it measures about half a light-year across. Barnard 68's well-defined edges and other features show that it is on the verge of gravitational collapse followed by becoming a star within the next 200,000 years or so, so stay tuned and keep an eye on it.

By pure chance I was browsing about literally far-out stuff while listening to this. Feeling small. :)

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Ok... now I'm officially excited. Out in May!!!!

[​IMG]

22. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

You had me at Black Floyd. :cool:

Oranssi Pazuzu is one of my favorite contemporary bands.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  23. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I'm listening to that Cobalt album (a bit over half way through) and I am digging it. LOL.

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  24. Dreadnought

No kidding.
    I'm on my third full listen to this album. What a trip! :love:

Song #5 (with 17:38 runtime!!!) has me captive.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    100423 and lenny nero like this.
  25. Dreadnought

I listened to all four of their albums and I like the most recent one most. It's the hardest hitting with the first two deep in avant-garde territory. That Radiohead was used as a reference for Cobalt had Radiohead come to my mind on Oranssi's third album. It's not a bad little medal to pin on the chest of a band.
    On Vasemman käden hierarkia, posted above, when the choral comes in after 4:30 I think it is so inspired. :love:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    lenny nero likes this.