Glenn Tipton/ Judas Priest diagnosed with Parkinson's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan Thread Starter

From Judas Priest headquarters-

GLENN TIPTON/JUDAS PRIEST DIAGNOSED WITH PARKINSONS:
    Ten years ago Glenn was diagnosed to have the onset of the early stages of Parkinson’s - from then until recently Glenn has lived his life as the great heavy metal guitar player he has always been, maintaining by his own definition a standard of quality and performance that is incredibly important.

Right now Glenn is able to play and perform some of the Priest songs that are less challenging but due to the nature of Parkinson's progression he wants to let you all know that he won't be be touring as such -

True to the metal spirit of 'the show must go on' Glenn has requested Andy Sneap to fly the flag on stage for him

“I want everyone to know that it’s vital that the Judas Priest tour go ahead and that I am not leaving the band - it’s simply that my role has changed.
    I don’t rule out the chance to go on stage as and when I feel able to blast out some Priest! So at some point in the not too distant future I’m really looking forward to seeing all of our wonderful metal maniacs once again”

Rob, Richie, Ian and Scott have this to say:

“We have been privileged to witness Glenn’s determination and steadfast commitment over the years, showing his passion and self belief through the writing, recording and performing sessions with Priest - he is a true metal hero!
    We are not surprised by Glenn’s insistence that we complete the Firepower tour and thank Andy for joining us to make Glenn’s wishes become real -
    As Glenn has said we also can’t wait to have him with us at any time any place on the road.....
    We love you Glenn!”

CrazyCatz, clhboa, DiabloG and 8 others like this.
  2. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Wow, bummer. Great player. I've been reading about the new album and tour. His legacy is set. I hope the record just adds to it. Rock on brother. You rock Glen!

3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

First there was no KK and now no Glenn, my favorite guitar tag team in metal is gone. I haven't exactly been blown away by the albums they've put out after the comeback, but still. Very sad to see him go out this way.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They rocked harder and screamed louder than any band ever has. And they are done once Tipton is out. I hope they do not continue as a franchise. Unleashed in the East was metal's answer to Strangers in the Night, that's saying a lot.

5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I had a feeling something was wrong especially when they were doing interviews for the last album as Glenn was present with Richie and Rob but barely spoke and when he did he seemed very slow and almost slurring his words. This seemed very out of character for him and also recently KK was discussing his departure and mentioned that some standards weren't being maintained which could be that he was noticing Glenn's slow decline in his playing which to the outsider may not have been that obvious. I'm guessing the original retirement plans had something to do with this as well and when they opted to continue KK said no way and left.

I met Glenn on the last tour of Oz and he seemed ok but was very adamant that no photo's were taken - again a bit out of character but I figured maybe he'd had a big night the night before :)

It's like joining the dots and now the puzzle is complete.

Very sad news indeed and for me as gut wrenching as finding out Dio had cancer back in 2009....

6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

So strange and sad to see all the giants of classic rock fade away.End of a very special era.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh no. I love classic era Priest and Glenn is one of the great metal guitarists. Truly original. Influential as a word is usually an overused cliche, Glenn Tipton and Judas Priest truly are. I hope things go as well for him as they can.

8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Wow this news is such a bummer. I’ve always loved Glenn’s playing and personality. It’s already weird enough not seeing KK up on stage the last few tours but now not to see Glenn will definitely be strange. I remember seeing them on the last tour and Glenn stayed stationary a lot and was not his usual animated self but the guy is in his 70’s so that’s expected. I’m sad but he has definitely given it his all all these years. Whether Priest goes on after this album and tour is up to them but with 2/3’rds of the frontline changed, I think this tour will probably be the last time I see them. It’s a great triple bill with Saxon and Black Star Riders so it’s still very much worth going.

I know it won’t happen but I thought it would have been great if maybe KK came back and Ritchie could have stepped over to Glenn’s side and handled his parts. Just the selfish fan in me talking...

9. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

So last album, and a tour that will looks like a halford solo concert ( nothing against it, but it not the same without kk and Glen)
    All my bands are dead or dying .....just like me, its the way of life.

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Sad to hear about Glenn's illness; and the worst thing is that Parkinson's is degenerative in nature; it can't be reversed and it's not going to get better as times goes on... this may be the real final Priest tour, go see 'em while you still can... I missed their March 30 1991 show in Belfast's Ulster Hall on the Painkiller tour, with Pantera and Annihilator supporting, bitterly regretted it ever since!

Glenn needs to take care of his health now more than ever, and if that means bowing out of Priest, then he should... and that will be it for JP... another one exits stage left.

11. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

I'm a big fan of Judas Priest and this is very sad to hear. :shake:

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

So sorry to hear that. He is such an amazing guitar player, and one of my big influences. Stay strong, Glenn!

Matthew Tate and Jimmy Agates like this.
  13. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

14. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Is that recent? His playing is solid in that clip.

squittolo likes this.
  15. No surprise to anyone who's followed the band all these years. A great duo with KK......
    Look after yourself Glenn.

Matthew Tate and M321115 like this.
  16. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Thanks for the music Mr. Tipton!

Matthew Tate, M321115 and squittolo like this.
  17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Very sad, but good on him for lasting as long as he did with the diagnosis. A true guitar hero. \m/\m/

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sad news, I've always considered him the leader of the band. It must be really bad if he can't tour.

19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

:(

hope he can live many healthy years still

20. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The RRHOF better induct them while they're all still alive, gawd dammit.

Hermes, Matthew Tate, tinnox and 11 others like this.
  21. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

What a crappy way to start off the week. One of my favorite metal bands during my early 80's teen years. Still enjoy cranking some Priest in my advanced years. Hope he can enjoy whatever time he has left. So many horrible diseases that don't play favorites. Rock on Glenn!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

A very cruel disease that no one deserves to have.

Hoping for the best for Glenn!

clhboa and Runicen like this.
  23. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Take care Mr Tipton, thanks for the music!

24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Man, this is very sad to hear. First Pat Torpey passes away as a result of his Parkinson's so I hope Glenn doesn't suffer too much. I've been glad to have seen Priest twice with him and I never did get to catch the band with Downing either. Go and look after yourself, Glenn - your own wellbeing is paramount. Thanks for all that you've brought to Metal, so far...

Matthew Tate and M321115 like this.
  25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Didn't get to see them during the glory years, but made sure I went to the show in Cedar Park three years ago. Glenn stood still most of the show, but his playing was still amazing.

Sorry to hear this news, but it makes me that happier that I went. Judas Priest's music has been an inspiration over the years. Glenn has been a huge part of that. I hope he has people that are caring for him well.

Cheers, mate!

davers, Matthew Tate and Robinator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.