New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I too think having three female members may be a strategic management decision, because their PR machine is very well-oiled, make no mistake.

It may also be "organic". Either way it's pretty interesting, especially if J&C let them actually be part of the creative process...and not only album covers. Which way it goes will show their actual intentions :).
    I am very interested in hearing how the drummer copes with the drum parts of the back catalogue. If she's as talented as Jim says that should be no problem for her...

2. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Regarding Charisse, I'd never heard of her before her involvement with the band but she's played with some other big names.

3. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

She can drum, thats for sure

As far as I know they are members of Simple Minds the Touring Band. Simple Minds remains Jim and Charlie.

4. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I ordered the last copy, reportedly.

5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Not my cup of tea, she hits the crashes pretty good though. But that's about it.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I can't say I have that much of nostalgia for Mel. He was the key member that made then a stadium rock band; but I prefer Brian McGee. Came on board with Street Fighting Years; back then Mel wasn't an official member despite playing on parts of the album and the following tour. He is a great drummer of course, and the comings and goings are weird, unless you think of Mel as the hired hand he clearly is. So his absence doesn't make it feel "less original band" to me. That boat sailed in 1990 when Mick, who really was pivotal, left.

Any old rock band is a corporation, and the stock holders just don't give away shares for free. The employees might get annoyed after a few years of service and object to this, which is maybe what happened with and Andy Gillespie and Eddie Duffy. And this is perhaps what makes a "reunion" unlikely; Jim and Charlie would have to split the loot, when they have invested energy, time and money in the band after the other originals members chose to leave (except Derek who was sacked).

bob60 likes this.
  7. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

It's definitely a grower, give it multiple spins and it may grow on you, did with me. As I said before, I found the latter tracks to be better than the first three, so makes it a little lopsided.

I remember Listen record shop in Edinburgh in the late 70's/early 80's guessing that must have been the same owners?

Never made the Apollo much to my regret, though been to the Barrowlands many times, the Apollo was just before my gig going days (at least as far as travelling to Glasgow).

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I remember an interview from 1989 in a German magazine where Jim admitted that he wasn't entirely happy with the direction SM where heading and "they" (Charly & him) were trying to tone it all down a bit. And when he thought about what defined "stadium SM" most for him, he found out it was this big drumsound. So they had to get rid of Mel. At least partially.

Even back then I found that weird because it's not as if Mel hijacked the band and forced these drums upon them. He was clearly a replacement and chosen for a reason.

But as you said since 1990 - possibly even earlier - it's:" If it's Jim on vocals, Charlie on guitar and your granny on bongos it's the Simple Minds!" :uhhuh:

(Nothing wrong with that. Not all bands can be democracies btw )

bob60, DTK and jamesc like this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Maybe he learnt something from his marriage to Chrissie Hynde (aka Pretenders)

10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Loving this album now! It's a real grower. I just wish it had better mastering, there are no dynamics and it hurts my ears like a lot of modern releases. Still, easily their best album for yonks. It's consistently good throughout (the 8 track version).:cool:

DTK likes this.
  11. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

My vinyl copy showed up today, sounds great to my ears.

DTK likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well Chrissie's original band members died. It's hard to not replace such band members.

13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

No **** sherlock. And how has the line up fared since 1983? The Pretenders is a solo gig, even she admits that.

Christopher B likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Heh. Yes neither band really settled on a permanent line-up again. But it's not necessarily greed. Chrissie always provided 90% of the input anyway
    It's not easy to replace a James Honeyman-Scott, or a Derek Forbes, or a Mick MacNeil.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Mr Sam and friendofafriend like this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I agree. Is the implication that Simple Minds are doing it out of greed?

DTK likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't think anyone has actually implied it, but there is an undercurrent of confusion about why former key members disappear and no explanation is given.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Getting my hands on the physical copies after my Super Deluxe Happy Fun Pack came in the post yesterday, I looked at the credits and will add to this undercurrent. Mel and Ged are "contributors", Catherine simply sang backup although you do know she has decent chops with piano and synths..............I can see Charlie doing the bulk of the work with programming and keys (did everyone know the little bloke is a very accomplished synth guy?) as he started doing with Good News and really kicked it up with Neapolis. I see all the additional programmers who probably added some sequencing and voice ideas, basic tracks.....etc. There really never was an explanation given for the comings and goings, maybe.......despite the "band like photos" in Big Music, I just need to come to terms with the fact that it's just the two from Toryglenn. I like the band dynamic much better, I've been in bands where a hired hand jumps in and helps but never really has an emotional investment in what is being created it seems.........given that, I just find it odd. Oh well, I'll get over it................like I have a choice?

DTK and mrbiggs like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Can we see some pictures of your deluxe version????

19. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

Gave it another go this morning. Still waiting for anything to grab hold of me I'm afraid. Agree with the comment on mastering too, there's little in the way of dynamics evident.

The album is likely mostly Charlie musically, with some drums from Mel (which could've been recorded at any time) dropped in. We know they knock songs around almost constantly, Jim's Facebook updates often talk about little else.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Listning to old She's A River B-side Celtic Strings...it seems a lot of the recording was used for Barrowland Star - even the guitar solo is lifted! It's perfectly allowed of course.

morgan1098 likes this.
  21. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Yeah. Wife has my phone so it will be a little while, she's out ice skating at night................love the Polish lifestyle, it's like how America was in the 50's and 60's..........even the 80's but now we have the internet and microwaves. :wiggle: It's the set that went for 75 quid, I don't think it's on the site anymore as it sold out (I think). Nice set, good quality to everything, would have been better with an all encompassing package but I'll live. I didn't get the locks of hair though..............................definitely not a cheap feeling to anything.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I'll second, third or fourth the "no dynamics" thing. My God, it is just slammed. I was listening to a needledrop of my Cowboys International vinyl right before switching to WBW and my ears went on strike. It was mastered by a French outfit in Paris, I'd say they're masochists.

sennj, Dave 81828384 and The_Windmill like this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m looking forward to reading tour reviews and seeing the setlist of tonight’s Glasgow gig.

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wow, so many different packages of this album on their website...

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting setlist in Glasgow last night, not unlike the format U2 used on JT 30 tour last summer.

I was wondering how they were going to do the "new album in total" portion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.