The Data Is In: You Like The Music You Heard When You Were 14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shaddam IV, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Outside of a select few artists I don't listen to much of anything I listened to when I was 14. I listen to a lot of music that came out between my birth and when I was fourteen (jazz), but I wasn't listening to it back then.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The more important question is:
    Do you still hate the music you hated when you were 14?

I love more things now that I hated when I was 14. There was a lot of music I found challenging that I now embrace. And yes, I still enjoy music that I liked when I was 14.

3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

The BIG difference between then & now

I had a lot more time to spend listening to records
    I had a lot less records to choose between

The end result is that those albums got a lot of listening.

The year BTW was 1970. One of the golden years I have at least 100 albums in my collection from that year.

Terrapin Station and Shaddam IV like this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like the music that came out between when I was eight and thirteen best. That would be Nov. 1962 through Nov. 1968. It was in the spring of 1969, when I was 14, that it first occurred to me that there weren't as many good songs on the charts any more.

I like some '70s (prog) and '80s (alternative) and even a bit of '90s too. Not much after that, although I haven't really being paying as close attention.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Pizza is right---that IS a bigger deal. I am always trying to expand the range of music I can understand and enjoy, and there are always new horizons to conquer. (Read: new sections of the record store to browse in.) So glad that my ignorant teen disdain for most metal, most prog, all jazz, lots of folk, indie stuff that was too "weird or difficult" went away with time and knowledge.

Shaddam IV and Pizza like this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting. A lot of you are saying this doesn't apply to you. I have a pretty enormous vinyl collection from a lot of genres. In a 30 minute period where I am just playing a favorite single song from a stack of albums, it could easily run as eclectic as Exodus/Dancing Queen/Lyin Eyes/You Should Be Dancing/Whole Lotta Love etc. No rhyme or reason really, one song just jogs my memory to another and having a large collection on any format allows your mind to think of just about anything you like and you can just pop it on and satisfy the itch. But at the end of the day, if I'm in the mood to just listen to a lot of stuff I truly love, I find that study is pretty spot on. It's going to lean very strong to the hit songs from roughly 1975-1978, right around the age the study says the influence is strongest. However, I would be surprised if this was the majority, as the responses here confirm. I think most people's musical tastes change substantially. I have no idea why mine lean heavily to what the study suggests, but for me it's quite accurate.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Pizza nailed it for me as well. I can't believe the stuff I have grown to like in the last five years that I despised at 14, like Van Halen for example. Really appreciate their musicianship and production values now, hated them as a teen.

8. johnebravo

johnebravo Forum Resident

That's an excellent question. "Hate" is a pretty strong word, but it's probably safe to say that I actually hated disco in the 70s. ;) Probably the "stuff I hate" category gradually evolved into "stuff I merely view with disdain" over the years, and some of the stuff I used to like back in the 70s got moved over into the "disdain" box along the way. ;)

There was also music that I like a lot now that I just couldn't have understood at the age of 16, but I can't say that I hated it, or even disliked it -- it was just baffling at the time. But a few years later it started to make more sense.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Shaddam IV likes this.
  9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I was 14 in 1991. A lot of interesting music came out that year, none of which I bought, preferring the likes of U2, Erasure and Harry Connick Junior. These days, I might discreetly hum along to A Little Respect, but I’ve got no time for the other acts. The only 2 albums from 1991 I listen to with any regularity are Laughing Stock, by Talk Talk and McIntyre, Treadmore and David by Half Man Half Biscuit, neither of which I heard until I hit my late thirties.

That said, I like to own physical products duct and I wouldn't Touch Spotify with a barge pole, so the study probably doesn’t sample my sort.

Shaddam IV and Guitarded like this.
  10. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

I was born in 1951.
    1951 + 13 = 1964
    1951 +16 = 1967

Not a bad spread of music, but not all of what blows my skirt up. I heard the songs my parents listened to on ? mainstream adult charts ? (what genre was Sinatra, Doris Day, Bobby Darrin, Patty Page, etc on the charts from ca. 1954 on?)

And early rock & roll... Buddy Holly, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Everly Bros. et al through my sister's listening habits.

"Fusion" from 1973 on, then Jazz around mid 1977, then Swing Jazz in the 80's then Bluegrass & Old Time American music early 1990's, plus much more, you name it. Probably nearly as musically impressionable now as I have ever been.

So for me, the premise seems narrow and fixated. When I hear a song, group or style I either like or dislike it.

I think that's my profile. How about ya'll?

Shaddam IV likes this.
  11. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

Would DETEST be a kinder expression? Didn't think so. But neither was/is the pith of disco...

johnebravo likes this.
  12. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Forum Resident

You're the same age as me, but my favorite album from that period is probably Dirt. I was into classic rock from a young child though. Why? This is why most of us our age probably did, because OUR PARENTS played it in the car! We didn't have DVD players or phones or iPads to keep us entertained in the car. So you just learned to enjoy a lot of that stuff through exposure. I still love Fleetwood Mac and Genesis, from the car! That's the only reason. I never would have listened to Fleetwood Mac on my own, and they are one of my favorite bands today.

I later branched out into heavy metal mostly, but I still do love all that Seattle stuff from the early 90s, and even the rap of that era. I don't like rap in general, but the stuff I did like then, I still enjoy.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hit nail on head!

Rick Robson likes this.
  14. Grant

That's your experience. Mine was different. I think that music is great stuff.

When I was growing up in the 70s, boys and girls started puberty at about age 10. Sixth grade. And, yeah, we kids all noticed! The only thing that would cause someone not to start were medical issues, or, in the case of some girls, lots of physical activity could cause menses to delay until 13 or 14.

Not so. Do not ask me how I know this.

15. Grant

Age 14? I did all of that when I was five years old!

16. Kingsley Fats

This is a collection of data on human behaviour and as such has a strong tendancy to align with normal distribution. So yes one size will not fit everybody however it will fit the majority.
    This theory has been raised many times before (14 years old may change a little) & the fact that this was a Spotify only data sample shows that there sub set aligns with previous "results"

Shaddam IV likes this.
  17. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

THIS right here.

If I bought an album on Friday, if it was any good I'd know it cold by the middle of next week.

I still have a voracious appetite for music, but these days I don't always play records on the same day I bought them. They might sit around for a couple weeks before I get to them.

Bigbudukks, troggy and Brian Doherty like this.
  18. Kingsley Fats

I have albums that I still haven't got to months (even years) after I've bought them. I don't have a job now so the buying has stopped.

19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Couldn't be further from the truth for me. At 14 I was listening to Insane Clown Posse :laugh:

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Well, in my case, this rings true because 14 is the age I discovered Sgt. Peppers, The Wall, and Led Zep IV and I still love those bands. (1986 btw)

Shaddam IV and Denim Chicken like this.
  21. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Unless the internet dies, I know I shall likely never again in my life develop the intimate relations with albums-as-albums that I did up until I was around 30. Not at all coincidentally, barely a handful of new albums have entered my all time pantheon of say top 60 favorite records pretty much since then. I very much value and enjoy a life of shuffling and streaming digital tracks, but I definitely gave something up for it.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  22. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

As far as Internet music, the only time I listen to something I've downloaded is when I'm listening to my iPod on a crosstown train. Apart from that, I'm still all about physical media at home.

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I agree with this in a way. I've always said if I could choose a year for a pop music quiz it would be 1986 (I was 14 for over 350 days of that calendar year).

However, I wouldn't say any of my favourite stuff is from that year, rather that I liked (and still like) so much generic pop chart music from that year that I would have rightly thought was awful if released at any other time! :)

Rick Robson, Shaddam IV and troggy like this.
  24. Grant

The ultimate test for me is how many times I play it in a row...all the way through, as opposed to just skipping around it. Over the last decade, some of the new albums that i've obsessively played repeatedly that I can immediately think of are:

Outkast - The Love Below
    Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
    The Isley Brothers/Santata - Power Of Peace
    Eminem - Relapse
    Michael Jackson - Exscape

The rest are remastered albums and mono comps. I play everything from digital files that I created by ripping the CDs. I never play the CDs themselves. But, when I was 14 in 1977, it was a vinyl and tape world.

In 1977, the albums I obsessively listened to are:

The Brothers Johnson - Right On Time
    Johnny Guitar Watson - A Real Mother For Ya
    Heatwave - Too Hot To Handle
    Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk
    Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
    Emotions - Rejoice
    Earth, Wind & Fire - All 'N All
    Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

See, that's not "maturing to appreciate new freedoms" at that age...that's just being a brat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.