New Series - Dark - on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dgstrat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member Thread Starter

Just started watching this last night. German produced. Very well done. Some similarities to Stranger Things and lots of time jumping; Flashbacks, and flash forwards. I'm hooked

slipkid likes this.
  2. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot. Watched in German with English Subtitles as the dub was so bad. I can see the similarities with Stranger Things but, for me, it was more like a mix between Twin Peaks and some Scandi-Noir stuff. Not sure I'll let my kids watch yet. Seems a bit more adult than Stranger Things.

GentleSenator and dgstrat like this.
  3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Right up my alley!
    Thanks for the heads-up :righton:

dgstrat likes this.
  4. dgstrat

It's definitely more adult than Stranger things. Not for kids, IMO

5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm on Episode 8. I love it, it's fantastic. When one episode ends, I can't wait to watch the next.

dgstrat likes this.
  6. woody

woody Forum Resident

Checked out the first episode thanks to this thread. I look forward to watching the rest but had to polish off season 3 of Narcos last night.

dgstrat likes this.
  7. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Just finished episode 2, this show is amazing so far. Surprised to see it seems to be getting such little attention. It's like Donnie Darko meets Stranger Things with a heavier tone. Highly recommended!

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

A couple episodes in and I'm pretty hooked. I agree with what others have said, so I won't repeat that. The "feel" reminds me of The Killing from AMC.

My only complaint is that I had a hard time remembering each character's details, name, etc.

mds likes this.
  9. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

I had to make a flowchart to keep up with the characters. Episode 1 introduces 18 characters, all of whom are important to the story. All 4 families intertwine in some way over multiple generations. Be sure to review the photograph montage at the beginning of the series as most main characters are represented by up to 3 actors at different ages.

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

glad it isn't just me!

MikeInFla and subzro like this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We really loved Dark. To me, the vibe is like a mixture of The Killing, Fringe, and The Bridge. Subzro's advice to study the character montages is a really good one - that allowed us to concentrate on the story a lot better.

I'm really looking forward to the second season - there better be one.

And I just have to say, Hannah - wtf?

subzro likes this.
  12. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

I'm three episodes in and liking it more and more. I'm grateful to this forum. Thanks to threads like this one, I've discovered more good TV shows and movies.

LilacTeardrop and RogerB like this.
  13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Watched most of this during the Xmas break and just finished up the first season last night -- We got hooked and really enjoyed it!

I like how the audience was required to "work" a bit regarding the characters going from 1953 to 1986 to 2019... "Hold on -- freeze -- his father is actually his xxxxxx." " That woman then is actually this woman now?" "His girlfriend is actually his xxxxx, now?"

It lead to a lot of between-episode discussion!

14. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I have a couple questions. Actually, I have a lot but these will do for now.

In episode one, there's a scene with Jonas riding his bike, and Ulrich running home to his family (after leaving his girlfriend's house). But then suddenly we see Jonas walking in the woods with Peter...who seems to be his therapist. (Seems like a strange edit, like they trimmed some footage out)

Anyway, why did the two meet like this and where were they going?

Another question below. (This one has SPOILERS)

So Noah builds a time machine that utilizes the portal, which lies underneath the bunker. Am I to assume he wants to be able to time travel to any period? (As opposed to the bunkers standard three time periods).

I wonder how he would dial-in a specific time period? It doesn't seem very sophisticated.

15. Ja, everyzing ist always darker in ze German tongue.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give this a watch!

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I need to see this! Thanks!

17. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

I gave up after 4-5 episodes. The shows problem is the characters are so cold. I didn;t care enough about them to be invested.

Deesky likes this.
  18. Grunge Master

I think that we're supposed to just figure that they met off camera, and are having a therapy session while they're out walking around. As far as the Noah stuff goes, I don't think that we have all of the answers to that yet; good thing they've renewed it for another season!

19. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Every character on this show is flawed to the core. If they were warm and happy, it wouldn't have worked.

jriems and Ethan B like this.
  20. Two episodes in and I'm not feeling it. Does it get better? Right now I can see right through everybody. The story's approach feels a little ham-fisted. I don't know if I dig the characters.

Deesky likes this.
  21. Grunge Master

Honestly, aside from Jonas, most of the people aren't really likeable. Give it another episode or two, until things start picking up a bit.

GentleSenator and Ethan B like this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that's part of what i loved about it. everyone was so damn sad but i needed to know why

Grunge Master likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This show is a hot mess - there is more pseudo-scientific nonsense in this than in a Dan Brown novel! FFS they drag Einstein's good name into this mess to lend credibility, but there is so much woo mixed in (numerology, 'cycles', time is a circle - no, just stop!, religious mumbo-jumbo with the priest and light and dark nonsense and god and the 'mystery' of mankind - urghhhh!), which had me regularly screaming at the TV - STFU!

The pacing was slow, and worse, boring, and the constantly insistent incidental music seemed to want to make every scene tense or portentous, but they never were. The narrative was mostly boring and confusing.

This is the worst thing I've seen (because it appeared to be scify-ish) in years and a thoroughly joyless experience. Looks like they set it up for S2, but I won't be back.

EVOLVIST, GentleSenator and Ethan B like this.
  24. dgstrat

This show lost me, too. i didn't even finish it.

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

haha! i actually really enjoyed the show, but i enjoy your review just as much. i can totally see what you mean.