Mojo's "Unloved" albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I have it. Good album. I never knew it was unloved

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I voted STINYC, which even as a lifelong Beatles fan I put off listening to until maybe five years ago... I get that people are turned off by the politics (I'm not), but that album rocks harder than anything outside POB.

vince and RoryMcBride like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

have not seen the article.
    i have always love the rolling stones "black and blue" album.one of there best sounding records.top five stones for me.
    same with hendrix "band of gypsies" i think they are as good as if not better than the experience.i just dig the groove.
    i think most people think the experience was far superior to BOG.

4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i love lou reed's music dearly.i still cannot get into most of "the raven".i will keep trying.
    'growing up in public" sunk in shortly after his death,and more recently i played "mistrial" and it
    was not awful to my ears. so with regards "the raven" i guess i will have to say "never say never"

DTK likes this.
  5. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Black &Blue ,one of my fav RS album .Great summer record
    In Through The Out Door, like it from the day one.

6. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

This was the first Mojo I'd bought for about 18 months.

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

What's odd is that none of these albums are their respective artist's worst received or most controversial work (except for Led Zeppelin, perhaps).
    Trans, for instance, is positively cherished when compared to Landing on Water, as is Wild Life compared to, say, Press to Play or LA to any number of late Beach Boys records. And who even listens to late Curtis Mayfield or Stevie Wonder stuff ? And how is Sometime in New York City any worse than anything recorded after it (take your pick !) ?

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  8. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Of the albums on the list I'm definitely a Trans man so to speak. Great record and one of the most interesting things Neil Young has ever done.

Not on the list though...

The Cars - Panorama - my favorite of their albums but routinely dismissed.
    Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground - their best album to me for sure (although the first album is more fun)

9. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Hot Space is criminally underrated. It's a very fun album.

Sondek and Man at C&A like this.
  10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I have In Through The Out Door. Although I wouldn't put it in the same league as the first 6 albums, I do enjoy it nontheless ("Fool In The Rain" was the first LZ song that caught my attention.)

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Who the hell dismisses Band of Gypsys? :confused::confused::confused:

trumpet sounds and Tristero like this.
  12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I like Bowie's Earthling. It got a lot of exposure when it was released, thanks in part to the tour with Nine Inch Nails and Trents' appearance in the I'm Afraid Of Americans video. I think it's weakness is that several of the songs sound very similar thanks to the drum n' bass route he took on this one. I wish he would have followed up with his plan for a second Nathan Adler album

13. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Love Black and Blue (even at the time I thought it was underrated and unfairly slammed) and In Through the Outdoor. Unfamiliar with the rest expect for Cut The Crap....which I still think is really bad.

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The only albums from this list I own are...

Hot Space – Queen
    L.A. (Light Album) – Beach Boys
    Songs from the Capeman – Paul Simon

Darryl

15. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I own about 6 of the ones listed and voted for Band of Gypsys and Sometime in New York City. The other 4 are Black and Blue, In Through the Out Door, Cut the Crap and The Final Cut. I can't fathom Band of Gypsys being an unloved album; perhaps at the time, maybe that was the case, but it's one of my favorites out of his then present day discography. Cut the Crap, however, makes total sense and the only reason I have a copy is out of die-hard interest. I'll agree that it's the worst album ever to be adorned under The Clash moniker. Lennon/Ono's Sometime in New York City is underrated and gets wrongfully maligned when analyzing John's solo years. It's overtly political bend within its lyrics would be the most extreme Lennon ever got in his writing and I enjoy it from this particular angle.

Of the other ones that I own, The Final Cut, while being written by Waters and performed by a Wright-less Pink Floyd, to me, is really Waters' debut solo album with help from Mason and Gilmour. Despite the fact that some of the material was leftover from the Wall opus some 4 years previous and while it does contain a familiar vibe instrumentally from its former issue, it just doesn't feel like a true Floyd record to my ears.

Black and Blue by the Stones I've never felt as a horrible release. From a songwriting angle, it's a bit weak, the emphasis of the jam succeeds within much of the material offered and therein lies its strength as a notable record. Personally, I like It's Only Rock and Roll better than B&B, but they're different albums.

In Through the Out Door is Zeppelin in their twilight moment as a group, largely due to the fact that John Bonham would be dead within a year after its release; I think had he lived, the album would have been looked upon as a transitional record. For the sake of diversity, Plant and Jones dominate most of the material and it's a welcome change in their dynamics as a group for the time period, even though Page and Bonham still have as much to do with its creation.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Vanishing Act and Call On Me are two of Lou's best songs in my opinion. Especially the former is beyond beautiful.
    There's a lot of material on The Raven I'm not overly fond of though.

malco49 likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Two mysteries:

How they got the idea that Band Of Gypsys is "unloved". It's one of the most influential albums in rock history despite its flaws.

Why they try big up Cut The Crap by Clash, which is one of the biggest aural **** sandwiches ever unleashed on mankind. It has no redeeming features. A joke?

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

Agreed as well as “hop frog” which i like and i think a song called “who am i?”. Although i like the version on the comp NYC man much better. But 5 or songs across a double album is not much.
    A few years back i think i made a playlist of just the musical songs,not the spoken word pieces.
    Don’t think i liked it that much but might have to revisit,Like i said it took me over 30 years to “get “growing up in public”

DTK likes this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Surprised to see Black & Blue on this list (why not Dirty Work or something later that?) and I'm shocked to see Band of Gypsys. That band's recordings (the one original album and other live releases) seem to have become much more popular over the last ten years.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like GOIP a lot; the arrangements by Michael Fonfara are a bit Broadway though.

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I would only add Wild Life:edthumbs::cheers:

trumpet sounds likes this.
  22. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

?? since when is this album unloved by fans and critics ?

23. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

In my view, Paul Simon is one of the few singer-songwriters who have gone through a long career without releasing a single stinker. Even those who seemed unimpressive on first listen turned out to have quality songs on them. For instance, it took me a while to warm to "RHYTHM OF THE SAINTS", but it was worth waiting for. (Now it´s one of my favourites, next to "HEARTS AND BONES".) I love every one of his albums, and I took to "ONE TRICK PONY" and "YOU´RE THE ONE" right away. Top quality for so many years.

Even "SONGS FROM THE CAPEMAN" has great songs - retro jewels like "BERNADETTE", "TRAILWAY BUS", the achingly beautiful "CAN I FORGIVE HIM" and the classy "BORN IN PUERTO RICO". Sure, it´s his most patchy album, but with the rest of his work being so consistently... eh... consistent, that is a minor blip on an almost impeccable catalogue of music.

What a composer, what a lyricist - what an artist.

24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Voted Black and Blue, Earthling, and Hard Nose the Highway. If I could downvote The Final Cut, I would.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Some records clearly didn't belong there:

"Earthling"
    "Black & Blue"
    "Trans"
    "Hot Space"

Their only "flaw" seemed to be that their creators strayed too far from the formula.

Other albums in this list are simply weak. I mean "Cut The Crap", "Out Of Reach" or "LA"? Really?:crazy:

They should have included "Squeeze". By "The Velvet Underground".:evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.