Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Man. Anybody who finds a way to praise those four albums in one shot is OK by me.

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Hmm, that's disappointing that my "extra bit" thread is locked, we never did get to the bottom of it. Maybe because there's been no new postings for a certain time? Oh well.

It is fascinating that there are two different versions of the album. It does seem likely that the longer fade-out/extra snippet version was for the vinyl/cassette version, but then like I said in my thread, I found an original UK cassette and it doesn't have the extra bit, it's just the cross-faded version but fairly clumsily edited. I agree that the cross-fade version is probably how the band wanted it to be heard. I'm delighted to have those extra four seconds, but to be honest it kind of sounds like it was left there by mistake, it doesn't really seem to fit in.

As for which sounds better, although I have both the UK and US CDs, I haven't done a direct A/B comparison. But just from listening to both individually, I can't say I've noticed any obvious difference, they both sound really great to me.

JulesRules and tmtomh like this.
  3. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I've been into their more pop-oriented stuff for years and owned Natural History, but I recently discovered Laughing Stock and it's quickly become a favorite of mine. Just a gorgeous composition from beginning to end.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I picked up It's My Life when I saw it cheap just because I keep seeing the band lauded here. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I'll dig in again.

5. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Just listening to my 1986 UK pressing of 'The Colour of Spring', a lot more fireside crackle than I remember (it was pretty cheap though). How does the in-print Parlophone (with DVD) compare? Worth buying as a replacement?

6. Phil Tate

I haven't got it, but apparently it's really excellent.

hamicle and tmtomh like this.
  7. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Most consider their last three albums the best. The excellence that began on 'The Colour of Spring' blossomed on 'Spirit of Eden' and was fully realized on 'Laughing Stock.'

tmtomh, krlpuretone and Phil Tate like this.
  8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

And the Mark Hollis "solo" album.

CaptainFeedback1 and PJayBe like this.
  9. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

my original sounds amazing. So good I did. Not bother with the recent re press.

hamicle likes this.
  10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

My copy's vinyl is very quiet and it sounds wonderful.

hamicle likes this.
  11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

All 5 albums are in print and are nice, flat, quiet pressings and dynamic sound, highly recommended.

c-eling, hamicle and tmtomh like this.
  12. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Thanks all, my 1986 copy sounds great other then the surface noise, which is a shame.

13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Very odd, I've also recently associated Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock as religious pathways even though I don't generally practice it. Talk Talk is in my personal all time on the grounds of having two great synth records, and plus great art rock record and two records that transcend my own beliefs. It's magical.

tmtomh likes this.
  14. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

One of the very quietest records in terms of surface noise I own, honestly. The tonality is a wee bit sterile (you could conceivably mistake the LP for the DVD!) but that's probably all in the production itself. The manufacturing quality really is top-notch, and Amazon.co.uk sold it to me SO cheap on a sale (like £9 at the time). Anyone know who pressed it? Optimal maybe?

hamicle likes this.
  15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Talk Talk is a fascinating band. There is more there than you may think, particularly if you dismiss them simply because of their name (that *is* a pretty petty reason to dismiss a band, IMO).

I would suggest to you that they evolved every bit as much as the Beatles did, over roughly the same amount of time.

JulesRules, JeffMo, Phil Tate and 2 others like this.
  16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I think he was joking, he then name checked Beatles and Iron Maiden, which are both ridiculous names for bands.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If you guys are into 12 incher's the US promo for Such a Shame is really nice. (Steve Thompson Mixes)

davers, black sheriff, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  18. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Always enjoyed the Talk Talk 12"s and have kept hold of them even though I don't have the ability to play them anymore. James Marsh's paintings were always great as well so I can at least admire the artwork.

davers and c-eling like this.
  19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

As they radically changed their style over the course of their short career, the name really doesn't fit the later stuff.

This is perhaps the song that sits right in the middle of the two extremes that this band went through (the shorter video version because it has the "foot in the piano" moment ;-) )

Aggie87, scarfaceclaw and tmtomh like this.
  20. JulesRules

As much as I love Talk Talk, the first disc of Asides Besides is not one of my favourite listens... the Dub Mix of "Such a Shame" is one of the most boring things I've ever heard!

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Phil Tate

Yeah those 12" remixes generally haven't aged well in my opinion. However the second disc has some real gold and makes the compilation essential.

Porkpie, tmtomh and JulesRules like this.
  22. JulesRules

Indeed. The piano version of "Call in the Night Boy" is so different from what ended up on the 2nd album and shows that the later direction didn't come out of nowhere. And the b-sides from "It's Getting Late in the Evening" onward are mesmerizing and every bit as good as what ended up on those albums. (In fact, I think "John Cope" should have been on "Spirit of Eden" instead of "Wealth", which never fully convinced me.)

ggggreenisaac, Phil Tate and tmtomh like this.
  23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Agree completely. I listened to Disc 1 of Asides Besides exactly once. Disc 2 is the keeper and IMHO essential for any major Talk Talk fan. Fortunately the last time I checked this set was available inexpensively enough that it's still worth it even just for Disc 2 alone.

Yes, it does seem that during the Colour of Spring sessions they already were most of the way into Spirit of Eden territory already. In fact, I just read something online saying that they composed and recorded Life's What You Make It after they delivered the initial version of Colour of Spring to their label, and the label asked them to make it a bit more pop. Apparently they also reworked Living in Another World at that time for the same reason. And I'm sure it's no coincidence that those were the first two singles that ended up getting released off that album.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Had the live version of “Tomorrow’s Started” on last night and it still blows me away every time.

JulesRules, davers and tmtomh like this.
  25. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Funny, the dub mix of Such A Shame is one of the only tracks I like on that first disc. Has a unique, forceful sound to it, I like the way that bass is brought out. The second disc, others have said, is essential. It’s Getting Late In The Evening is sublime...

Phil Tate and tmtomh like this.