Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I guarantee the Beastie Boys would not have been playing the side stage, even if it existed in 1991. In fact, I don't think the side stage became a fixture until the second tour.

mdm08033 likes this.
  2. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Not true, legacy was ruined with Zeitgeist and everything after that, IMO of course.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I didn't like Zeitgeist, but there were about half of the Teargarden and Oceania songs that I really like. And the album that came out after Oceania was pretty strong too. And Ogilala is a pretty solid acoustic album.

But yeah, matter of taste.

4. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Try as I might, I just haven't been able to dig anything Billy has done since Zwan, except for some of Zeitgeist and some of Teargarden.

And given his, and Rick Rubin's recent track record on the mastering of their products, I fear the new record will end up being Mellon Clippy and the Infinite Clipping.

Despite everything, I am pleased that Billy is still getting up everybody's noses after all these years.

Jerquee, Runicen, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

With the 'Aeroplane Flies High' they had enough material for at least 4 ALBUMS LONG

Simply astonishing. Just insane!

[​IMG]

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Smashing Pumpkins Explain D'arcy Absence Ahead of Rumored Reunion

"In reuniting the Smashing Pumpkins, the band's dedication remains to its fans and its music. To that, James Iha, Jimmy Chamberlin, and William Corgan haven't played a show with D'arcy Wretzky for over 18 years. But it's not for a lack of trying. For despite reports, Ms. Wretzky has repeatedly been invited out to play with the group, participate in demo sessions, or at the very least, meet face-to-face, and in each and every instance she always deferred. We wish her all the best, and look forward to reconnecting with you all very soon."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    AndydD, Runicen and Hep Alien like this.
  7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

pretty epic non-statement from Goth Charlie Brown and co.

pexie, Crungy, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No evidence of it.

9. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Show some respect to Lord Voldemort.

Runicen, Hep Alien and ivor like this.
  10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Damn "Goth Charlie Brown" nails Corgan.... Has the been out there, or your creation?
    If so props.....

D.B., daveidmarx and havenz like this.
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

it's mine, but not too much of a stretch, I think.

12. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"Original Smashing Pumpkins bassist D’arcy has sent Alternative Nation the following text message conversations she had with Billy Corgan in January, including his pitch to involve her as a guest like Steven Adler on Guns N’ Roses’ Not In This Lifetime tour.

Alternative Nation will be publishing the first in-depth interview with D’arcy in the last 20 years within the next day. We also have an open offer to Billy Corgan, James Iha, and Jimmy Chamberlin to share their side of the story."

Link:
    Smashing Pumpkins' D'arcy Shares Billy Corgan's 'Guns N' Roses' Reunion Offer

pexie, andrewskyDE, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  13. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

I’m not sure what she intended to achieve by sharing those messages but to me it reads like she messed up.

However, it is now apparent that this was never intended as a proper reunion, merely a continuation of the previous incarnation. The band is Billy, Jimmy and Jeff, with James and D’arcy being offered the same deal to turn up and do as much or little as they want.

Runicen and Hep Alien like this.
  14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Funny. For a guy that was bent on ending SP not so long ago, Billy can't help returning to them.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

The Steven Adler comparison is valid up to a point - like him, D'Arcy now seems intent on burning whatever bridges may have been rebuilt in recent years.

On the other hand Steven, for all his limitations, was an integral part on the GnR sound. Can the same be said about D'Arcy's role in the Pumpkins? The jury is out.

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

To me, this reads like, "well you probably haven't picked up the bass in 19 years, and the 'massive pressure' of this tour might conflict with your history of drug problems, but I'm still reaching out as the nice guy I am."

17. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Er, I read through all those text messages, and BC really seemed to try and make it work... He hardly came across as some sort of this-is-my-band *******.

18. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed. Zeitgeist was mostly awful, but the stuff that came after has actually been pretty damn good. Nothing will touch the original run of albums & singles, but I for one am excited by this reunion. I've been a massive fan of the band since the early 1990s so to still have them making music is good enough for me.

20. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’m disappointed that Corgan never promoted his solo record with more touring overseas...listened to it again last night...it’s his best work since Melon collie in my humble.

marc with a c and deadbirdie like this.
  21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Its a mad amount of quality product in 5 odd years during the early 90's. And there' still plenty of extra's out there, sessions etc.

Mellon Collie is a stunner, yes, it would be better with 4 or 5 songs less but I wouldn't change it one bit.

Looking forward to a UK tour. Yes, would be lovely to have D'arcy there but i'll take the 3 of them. 18 years since I last saw them. One more time is needed.

snipe, Hep Alien and marblesmike like this.
  22. marblesmike

Rumor has it that WPC has mellowed out a lot since becoming a father. I'm not as much of a Corgan basher as many seem to be, but I give him credit for saying what he thinks over the years instead of kowtowing to the politics of the industry.

As for D'arcy, I haven't read the texts yet but I know I'd be leery of launching a multi-million dollar new album/tour cycle dependent on someone who has a history of drug abuse and mental illness. Sure I'd like her to contribute to the new band/album but I've hardly missed her playing/sound.

DrBeatle, Runicen, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  23. marblesmike

Consistent songwriting across the board.

24. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Has there ever been a publicly messier "reunion" at any point in documented history? This is playing out like the social media version of the Crass Journal.

Hep Alien, Aftermath and mark renard like this.
  25. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

What a beautiful mess this has all been! I really hope the new album is amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.