Queen RP1 speed issues and RP6 upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joshua Watson, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua Watson

Joshua Watson Member Thread Starter

I'm new here so forgive me if these are common issues. I have a few bundled questions to throw in.

I have been running my queen rega RP1 for around 2 months (owned for 6 months but took my time completing my setup) and around 2 weeks ago I started having speed issues where the record would dramatically dip in pitch and then correct itself shortly afterwards. This continues to happen periodically and the dip is seemingly random and very annoying.

My immediate reaction was to buy a white belt thinking the stock belt might have worn out but that didn't fix my problem. I can see a slight warble in the platter but I'm not sure if that issue is coming from the platter or the sub platter and Im a little lost at what to do as my turntable is not enjoyable any more :(

Does anyone have any useful tips about where to go from here? I am pretty frustrated and ready to frisbee the thing out the window. I have a basic understanding of the turntable components and upgrades but I'm still a novice. I know groove tracer do good sub platter and platter upgrades but I'm not sure if its worth spending that kind of money on an RP1. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a planar 6 and considering the planar 6 comes stock with an upgraded sub platter I'm not sure if the GT sub platter purchase is future proof to a planar 6. Does anyone know how the GT reference sub platter compares to the Planar 6 sub platter?

Is it worth chasing upgrades on an RP1 or should I upgrade the whole TT? opinions welcomed.

Thank you to anyone who answers.

My current setup includes:
    - Queen Rega RP1, ortofon 2m blue
    - NAD C350
    - Rotel RQ-9708x phono
    - Dali zensor 7's

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have a completely upgraded RP1. If the P6 had been available at the time, I would have bought a P6. While my RP1 is incredible sounding, it is only worth about $450 even with all of the upgrades because it is still labeled an RP1. Hope that helps you to decide.

Joshua Watson and KT88 like this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

It is possible that the pulley is loose on the motor shaft. If that is the case, you could re-glue it.

KT88 likes this.
  4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The GT Reference subplatter is excellent but the one for the RP1 is not transferable to the P6. The GT Reference subplatter also has the sapphire thrust plate and zirconia ball bearing which results in an extremely low noise floor.

5. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I don't own a Rega but the issue you describe doesn't sound like anything that an upgrade would fix. If there is an intermittent dip in run speed, followed by correct speed, repeated, I would guess that the motor is the issue. I would contact the dealer ASAP, assuming you bought it new, and ask them to take it in for repair. I suppose I could even see a poorly lubricated spindle bearing becoming a speed issue, but I don't imagine that speed variance would result. I would wager you have a bad motor in that jobbie.

Joshua Watson, octaneTom and andybeau like this.
  6. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I was also thinking perhaps the AC motor, or maybe the circuit that sends incoming voltage to the AC motor (my Music Hall MMF-2.2 uses a few capacitors).

Joshua Watson likes this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Planar 6 is significantly better. Just about every part on it is higher quality. The only thing that is really similar is the dustcover. It's caraxy to waste money on parts for an RP1 when there are two tables with better parts withing the same price range of upgraded parts, and which will hold their value better as units; the Planar 2 and the Planar 3. If you can afford the Planar 6, I recommend that you take the RP1 back and get creidt for that towards the Planar 6. You'll have no regrets there. The issue you describe with the RP1 is most likely the pulley slipping on the motor shaft. That's an easy fix.
    -Bill

8. Joshua Watson

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I hadn't considered that this might be a motor issue or even faulty at all. If thats the case then I cant even sell it :(

I did get the table brand new but it was gifted to me for my birthday, I wouldn't have chosen the RP1 myself as I usually hold out and make purchases that have longevity. My whole family chipped in and now I have to have that awkward conversation where I tell them I need to return it.

Cheers for the upgrade advice, I'll most likely try to get this table in working order and get rid of it.

Just so you know, I contacted groovetracer about these. All rega tables are compatible with the GT subplatter, however the original RP6 glass platter is not compatible with GT sub platter. You can still use the GT subplatter on an RP6 but you must also couple it with a GT acrylic or delrin platter, I assume because of the recess. If you want to continue using the original RP6 glass platter then you have to buy the GT reference platter made specifially for the RP6 which I'm guessing has a longer spindle. Also note that the new Planar 6 is a completely different table to the RP6 and does not have the same issue.

What I still don't know is how the GT sub platter compares to the new Planar 6's aluminium sub platter that comes stock. I would assume the GT sub is superior but so far I haven't found anyone who was able to make that comparison which probably means the stock planar 6 aluminium sub platter works well.

Thanks again all, good advice all round.
    - Josh.

9. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Listen to Bill (KT88), he has been selling Rega's for years. You most likely just have a slipping motor pulley. Touch of glue and you are good to go. The P6 doesn't need to upgrade the subplatter, the factory one is good enough.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. Joshua Watson

Is fixing the pulley something that is fairly easy to do? or is that a fix that would require professional servicing? I'm proficient with basic electronic skills and I'm confident beyond a regular person. I would like to avoid posting the unit back to where it came from if I could.

11. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Oh. I didn't know the pulleys were glued on. (my Music Hall table has a little flat screw on the aluminum pulley that's tightened with a jeweler's screwdriver)

12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

You do not need a professional to re-glue the pulley. Pull it straight up with your fingers, add a couple of drops of a decent glue, put the pulley back on, let the glue set up. Return the belt to its position and try a record to see if your problem is solved. I've owned a Rega table for about 13 or so years.

Joshua Watson likes this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Don’t worry about the awkwardness factor. Your family would want you to be happy with it. I’d return it and use the credit towards something slightly better, that’s if you’re serious about vinyl.

I think you will get more satisfaction in the long run.

Leonthepro and Joshua Watson like this.
  14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Agree...higher model turntable is a much better plan than investing in upgrades to the RP1.

I know by experience. I now have two RP6's in my two systems, and my heavily upgraded RP1 is packed away. I loved that RP1 and it served me well but really no comparison to the higher models.

Leonthepro and Joshua Watson like this.
  15. Joshua Watson

For anyone still interested..

I contacted the retailer about the speed issues and they immediately found me a local agent and got my TT in for warranty repair. The TT ended up having some issues that required replacement parts. I attempted to get more information about the repair but was unsuccessful in finding out any real detail. The whole process left me with a sour taste in my mouth, the disappointing and reductive nature of the RP1 is very apparent. I feel like rega make a good turntable with preferable methods and materials and then they financially engineer the components to make them cheaper and cheaper until you are left with an RP1, a cost effective compromise.

I contacted several hifi stores while my TT was in for repair and enquired about trade prices for my queen RP1. I figured if I got offered a good enough trade price I would just bite the bullet and upgrade to a planar 6, which is did and I went for it. Im now the proud owner of a planar 6 with neo psu and I opted to stick with the exact 2 cart instead of the ortofon bronze that I was aiming for. I was very close to blowing all my money and getting the ania bundle but decided against that as I would probably want to upgrade my phonostage for that to be worth it.

So far I am overjoyed with the planar 6! Its the perfect table for my budget, it sounds brilliant and is now a treasured possession of mine. I'm really happy with the exact cartridge and I'm glad I opted to stick with the packaged deal. From what I have read the ortofon bronze is a fairly lateral movement in terms of sonic ability which makes the planar 6 exact bundle a fairly intelligent spend in comparison.

The planar 6 lift platform has issues though, the lift platform at full height leaves the stylus a mere 3-4mm above a record which is scary low. I googled around and realised this is something you can adjust, so that is my next task. Also I have a pile of new records to get through, I signed up for vinyl me please a few months back and went a little crazy on their store :/

Anyway thanks for all the feedback and advice! great forum!

Echoes Myron and struttincool like this.
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I've never had a Rega. But by reading about so many issues, and from my personal experience with an entry level Pro-ject and all the threads about its faults, I believe that the entry level turntables from these manfacturers are to be avoided. If you can spend more, Regas from Planar 3 up would be great options I think. People seem to love these higher end Rega tables, and with good reasons, I've heard some really great sounding needledrops, but it seems like the entry-level are not worth the trouble.

17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

This

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Great outcome congrats. I prefer the Exact over the Bronze myself.

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The P6 kicks ass. I love mine. Don't try to adjust the lift platform without the special allen key. It is a 1.2mm. You will strip it with a regular metric or standard allen wrench. I actually don't see a problem with it, but if it bothers you, adjust away.

The P6 is very sensitive to what it sits on. Best is the new 2016 Rega wall stand.
    If you cant do the wall stand, Quadraspire makes the Stage shelf, which is designed just for Regas. It retails for 200 dollars in the US.
    If that is too much, Ikea Lack table with an Ikea bamboo butcher block. Less than 30 dollars in the US.
    Light and rigid is the way to go, don't place it on a high mass stand. Rega spent a lot of money designing that foam plinth, dont go and louse it up. Anyone tells you different doesnt have much experience with a newer Rega/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.