Rock bands/artists who went pop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

The most obvious examples I can think of are Queen, Rod Stewart, Brian Adams and Genesis.

It seems like there was definitely a cutoff where rock stations no longer played new music by Queen, Rod or Adams, despite the fact that they may have still been charting singles. That persists today, in how these acts are represented on classic rock stations.

I don''t really recall when "rock" stations stopped playing Rod, but I seldom hear anything from the 80's or later on classic rock stations. Maybe some stations program "Young Turks. Locally, "Tonight's the Night" is the latest that gets played.

With Queen, Under Pressure seems to be the cutoff for classic rock stations, though I do remember "I Want It All" getting rock airplay when it came out, which was probably the first Queen song since Under Pressure to do so.

Genesis is the odd man out, as their Gabriel and quartet stuff was really too esoteric for much radio play at all. Meanwhile the Collins led trio "rocked" enough that they were able to garner both rock and pop airplay.

Other examples, other thoughts?

squittolo, Sean, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Queen stopped getting airplay in america due to Freddie's personal manager Paul Prenter insulting and being rude to radio stations and payola issues with their record company. But things carried on as before around the rest of the world. You still hear Hammer To Fall, One Vision, I Want It All, Innuendo on classic rock stations. That stuff came along after Under Pressure.
    They never completely strayed from rock either, even on Hot Space - their least-rock album of the lot - you've got Action This Day and Put Out The Fire.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    squittolo, longaway, Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Journey

The first three albums have strong prog/fusion elements, and Infinity even keeps things interesting, but pure AOR pop after that.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So are you saying that when Gabriel left the band, the odd man was out?...

:)

5. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

6. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Clapton, perhaps?

Rufus rag, Davmoco, stef1205 and 2 others like this.
  7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Talk Talk was the reverse and the only time I think that happened.

8. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen (for a while)
    Wire (for a while [assuming you can call their 80s stuff "pop"])
    The Clash (sorta)
    Paul Weller (for a while [assuming you can call his Style Council stuff "pop"])

9. seed_drill

But AOR is still "rock." However, it does seem like Frontiers was the last album to get AOR airplay, while Raised on Radio was pretty much a top 40 only affair.

10. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

The biggest offender IMO: AEROSMITH. They didn't just jump on the pop bandwagon in 1987, they got run over by it!

11. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Yes had a pop phase in the 80’s

MikaelaArsenault and ponkine like this.
  12. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I guess you could argue Bowie with "Let's Dance" in 1983. However, Bowie has always been so much more than just a rock artist anyways.

14. Mellencamp started as pop when to rock

15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

David Bowie crossed that line back and forth many times throughout his career.

andrewskyDE, starduster and Moshe like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Sweet started out as pure pop and became more progressive.

Anyway, not what the OP asked for so I’ll have to think some more.

Scooter59 likes this.
  17. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Well, if you can consider Pantera's early glam-metal stuff as being "pop" then I'd say that's another example of going from pop to rock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

squittolo and Fullbug like this.
  18. Yeah, Bowie definitely went pop with Let's Dance straight through to a general 90s pop blandness with a bit of a 2 album pullback before his recent canonization

john lennonist likes this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Chicago in the 80s

KISS went pop with Unmasked. Granted, they didn't have much success with it, musically or commercially, but still.

andrewskyDE, Keith V and GodShifter like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Would Santana count?

squittolo likes this.
  21. ZZtop during the 80s

squittolo and Fullbug like this.
  22. Yeah, he had a messy late 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.,

john lennonist likes this.
  23. seed_drill

There's a lot of difference between US and UK radio. Album oriented "rock" stations had their own playlists which were quite different than top 40 hit stations, though there used to be overlap. Radio Ga Ga hit #14 on the Top 40 charts but only 22 on the rock charts, a lower placing than "Calling All Girls". I Want It All, by contrast, hit #3 on the rock charts but only made it to 48 Top 40.

American Classic Rock stations are generally so ossified in their playlists that Queen is basically reduced to Another One Bites the Dust, Bohemian Rhapsody, Under Pressure, We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions.

longaway and hellion like this.
  24. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I think Motley Crue might give them a run for the money.

They went from "Live Wire" and "Piece of your Action'' to ''Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)'' and 'Without You'.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Elvis is the most obvious example, IMO, but almost any rock act that became really popular gone to some pop direction (pop as a term covers wider palette of genres/styles). The Beatles also gone far beyond the limitations of rock.

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.