The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If the tracklist on amazon is correct, it probably is not a lot over 80 minutes, true. It depends on how long they jam on "Relax" and "My Generation" and how much banter is added. I myself would rather have the complete show than see it cut to fit onto one disc though.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

According to Concert File, on both the 5th and 6th of April. The Who played one show only, instead of the scheduled early / late show. Therefore, they put all their energy and time into these two performances.

Tim Bucknall and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !! Thread Starter

80 minutes would certainly be about right for 2 LPs. But 2CDs ? One CD would just about cover it. There's also the part of the listing stating 3 LPs, that's getting closer to 2CD territory. All very confusing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. whodanny

Don't have the concert file to hand Reb, but is there much, if any difference in the track listing from each night?

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

My guess is that between "Relax", "My Generation" and the between song banter, this probably runs just shy of 90 minutes, which would need 2 cds. To agree with what you said earlier, a full, unedited concert would suit me just fine.

6. whodanny

Just looked at The Who Concert guide site, seems to have been a slightly longer show on the 5th, opening with Substitute and Pictures of Lily. The setlists are not verified though so might not be accurate. Thought maybe different songs from the other night might be added to make the album longer.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Assuming the tracklist is correct, I'm guessing the musical content adds up to around 85 minutes and with banter it's around 90-95 total, and they decided they didn't want to cut anything to fit it onto one CD. There's no way they'd need three LPs (if the tracklist is correct) unless the band jammed on "My Generation" for an hour.

Matthew Tate and ralphb like this.
  8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Concert File states that The Who played for more than 90 minutes....i'm looking forward to hearing this release...should be good and long overdue.

jlf, Sean and ralphb like this.
  9. ralphb

I rarely pre-order this far in advance, but I made an exception for this release.

Jet Age Eric, Matthew Tate and reb like this.
  10. whodanny

I certainly hope it's as complete as possible. The listing is confusing with it's inference of 3LPs , but that's not unusual with Amazon. 90 minutes would be about right for the full show. You'd think they'd divide the CDs a bit more equally, but maybe the track lengths just didn't allow for an equal split without altering the running order. I'd rather have it in order and uncut.

Posted before I saw Reb's post about The Who playing for over 90 minutes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I’m not a member of The Who.crap official site anymore - is there no word from them on this “official” release? Surely they’re haven’t been outscooped by Amazon!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

This is the track listing for Disc 1 and 2 on Amazon.

Disc: 1
    1. Summertime Blues
    2. Fortune Teller
    3. Tattoo
    4. Little Billy
    5. I Can't Explain
    6. Happy Jack
    7. Relax

Disc: 2
    1. I'm A Boy
    2. A Quick One
    3. My Way
    4. C'mon Everybody
    5. Shakin' All Over
    6. Boris The Spider

Devotional and jay.dee like this.
  13. ralphb

I just hope this means that more vault material is forthcoming. The 5 tracks from SanFrancisco 1971 found on View From A Backstage Pass are breathtaking.

14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

"I don't like to dictate to people what to smoke"

15. whodanny

Looking again at the Track listings on Amazon it looks like there are tracks from both the 5th and 6th of April. Come On Everybody was only played on the 5th as far as I can see and I think My Way was only played on the 6th. Both are listed in the track listing. Strange that there's no Substitute or Pictures of Lily though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. ralphb

I'll bet that track listing changes a time or two before the release date. Amazon does get these things wrong occasionally.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

YES! I'm so ready for this!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Furious Prelude!
    I had this on tape, haven’t heard it in over 25 years.
    It’ll be cool to hear it professionally mixed .

marc with a c likes this.
  19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm excited just to get this on LP with hopefully a reduction in the razor-edge treble, but if we get a live Pictures of Lily then we'll really have something. Come on Everybody will be cool to hear as well.

I will say that the old bootleg CD cover is superior to what is up on Amazon, but whatever, I'm down for the tunes.

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

At least they aren't packaging it in a Sell Out box set and asking for £50/60 just to attain 1 live set.
    The public domain copyright will soon expire on this show

21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

The more I think about the possibilities with this release, the more excited I get. And it’s hopefully a prelude to SF ‘71!

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I would love a Sell Out box!

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Right. There's more than enough pessimism to go around in light of this:

"Songs from the second night have been restored and mixed by Who sound engineer Bob Pridden (who was there in 1968)."

As Jason indicated, the information posted - both the additional songs and the specifics regarding the new release - seems to indicate something more than casual mistakes.

I'm not too concerned about whether it's real or not, but I'm definitely not holding my breath about the sound.

czeskleba and jsayers like this.
  24. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Luc- did they in fact professionally record both nights so that they can combine tracks from both on this release? The official blurb implies Bob Prifdden worked on tracks from the second show only.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My understanding has always been that they recorded both nights. I don’t have any inside information however.

J_D__ and jsayers like this.